Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone please explain...

• 11-10-2004 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Argh, stupid ISS.

Found out today that I can't get internet access in my room on campus because I've Windows XP (Home Edition) on my laptop... if I want it I have to pay almost €100 to buy the Professional Edition from ISS (which I'm probably going to resort to, albeit very bitterly).

They're going to be getting some v angry emails from me in the morning...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hmm i don't know but isn't IIS , the internet information service's webserver from microsoft. That should have nothing to do with connecting to the internet. But i'll let others that know the college setup respond first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Yeah, that warning has been knocking around for a while. Unless you steal XP prof off one of your mates (the steal bit should confirm the illegality of this) you'll have to get prof edition (some student deals i think).

On the other hand, you may be able to go the linux route but you'll have to get one of the lads to help you on that (crash?skylynx?).

Why did Mircrosoft bother with home edition? Don't answer that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Webmonkey wrote:
    Hmm i don't know but isn't IIS
    I think Stargal is talking about ISS. Somthing Student Shop?
    But you are right it has nothing to do with IIS

I think TCD network setting is based on domain.
    If you look on your login page you will see there is domain below your username. it should be something like xxxx.tcd

Now XP home does not support domain that's why you have to upgrade to XP pro.
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/20536/20536.html

There is another option. Change you OS from XP pro to Windows 2000.
    You should have no problem getting a copy from CS students.

unless there is some special reason you want to use XP over win2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

It doesn't really bother me which one I use, but seems kind of silly to have to revert back to 2000. Is there much of a difference between the two of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

IMHO win 2k is as good as xp.

I am using both at the moment.
    the only different I have noticed is the round "start" button and other user interface stuff.

all the program/hardware that I am using on xp can be used on win 2k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

ISS = Information & Systems Services (the people who run the College network)

There are good reasons for their not supporting XP Home Edition, but there are plenty of copies of XP Pro knocking around that've fallen off the back of a lorry so to speak, and while I don't encourage you picking one up, if it did get accidentally installed on your system then heh.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

do as said above, home doesn't support AD so college network don't like it, in saying that there are ways of getting it to run on the network, but ISS don't like those....

just grab yerself a copy of some good ole debian, can't go far wrong there(free) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Mandrake ten would make an easier first time install if you just wanna get it up and on and arent interested in using linux full time. though if you have any linux experience at all listen to SkyLynx :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Mandrake 10 is crap, easy installer option would be knoppix or and probally preferable fedora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

One of us might be able to bring a 'convenient' copy of professional to the boards thing tomorrow...

• Advertisement
Advertisement