Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL - network help

Options
  • 12-10-2004 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I was wondering if the IOL BB router/modem can be used to set up a small network for a PC and a laptop? The modem I'm using the ZyXEL 623R-T1, with the Ethernet and USB connections.

I've been able to get both computers connected to the internet at the same time but they cannot ping each other? Are there any settings I have to change on the router to allow this? Their IPs are in the same range, 192.168.1.33 and 192.168.1.34. They're both running WinXP and are both using 'Workgroup'.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

N&#243 wrote: »
    I was wondering if the IOL BB router/modem can be used to set up a small network for a PC and a laptop? The modem I'm using the ZyXEL 623R-T1, with the Ethernet and USB connections.

I've been able to get both computers connected to the internet at the same time but they cannot ping each other? Are there any settings I have to change on the router to allow this? Their IPs are in the same range, 192.168.1.33 and 192.168.1.34. They're both running WinXP and are both using 'Workgroup'.
    There is a setting somewhere in the modem for blocking ICMP (pings use ICMP). I don't know if changing that would help (and I don't have anything plugged into my USB port anyway, so i can't test it), but you could try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I had this problem also when setting up a network with the IOL bb router. Turns out that my firewall app (zonealarm) was blocking the pings. I'd suggest temporally turning off firewall in XP (or 3rd party app) and then trying pings....

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

The router disables pings by default. Thats why the ping gateway test fails. You can turn off this feature by going into security on the web interface and unticking the "allow pings" box.

I am unclear however as to what you are saying in relation to network here. Is one computer using the ethernet port of the router and the other computer using the usb port of the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

I am unclear however as to what you are saying in relation to network here. Is one computer using the ethernet port of the router and the other computer using the usb port of the router?
    Yes, The PC is using the usb port and the laptop is using the ethernet port.
    The router disables pings by default. Thats why the ping gateway test fails. You can turn off this feature by going into security on the web interface and unticking the "allow pings" box.
    I've already tried this. It's not just pinging that's the issue....neither computer can see the other one, even though there IPs are in the same range etc..

I've also tried disabling both firewalls while testing.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Ah I understand now. Well you got me thinking so I just decided here to test it out.
    I have this pc im on right now with manual ip address of 192.168.0.41, gateway is 192.168.0.1 (my router). It connected to my router on ethernet via switch.

I connected the other computer up via USB port to the router. Had to install disk and all as Ive never bothered with the USB option before!!!
    I manually configured that to have an ip address of 192.168.0.5, gateway 192.168.0.1 (my router).

Well I was able to surf the net and even more so I was able to ping my other pc, and connect to a test share on it through network neighbourhood.

So hopefully that answers your question even if it maybe doesnt help you. Perhaps try turning off DHCP on the router and manually configure your IP settings on the router and computers.

By the way thanks!! As now Ive been able to free up another port on my switch as it was full!! I can slap in the wireless AP now!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement