Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greetings from the good ship mediteranea

Options
  • 12-10-2004 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Weather has been middlin to good, and we are now cruising somewhere off the coast of Greece. Venice and Bari were very impressive, I'd reccommend them for a visit. So down to the real business and it has been a very interesting day. The draw for the tournament took place last night. There are 209 players in total and nearly all the big names were drawn in day one. Each player has a stack of 3500 and blinds are starting off at 5/10 so there is loads of room for manouvering. I think initially they had planned 1000 chips per player but people kicked up about that so they increased that to 3500. However they did not change the blind sructure and I think they now regret that. It is 2 am and there are still 20 players, they have to play down to the last 9. Play start at 5pm, and stopped for 90mins at seven for dinner. First player went out just before that break. Unbelieveable the Devilfish was 3rd out, his jacks loosing to queens after a rag flop. Also out are Kevin O Connell and Donnocha O Dea, although Lucy Rockash is still going, and she was on a good run into this tournie. Almost all the big names were drawn in todays heat of 53. I am playing my heat on Wednesday, but I decided to get my feet wet in a E50 sit an go earlier, which I won so I am feeling a bit happy with myself. Up to that I was thinking I was probably well out of my league. Incidentally while I was playing that sit and go, another one started that was E1000 entry, and there were plenty of takers, so maybe I am out of my league.

Anyway, looking forward to my heat, although there is a Swedish guy named Jonnie at my table,( I think to my left ) who made the final of the Poker Million, so that should be fun.

Anyway i am going to go and check how todays heat is going.

Cheers

Waylander

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Best of Luck in the big one and the fact that you actually have gotten onto the boat should show you aint out of your league, keep positive and keep us posted.

Also myself and MrP would advise staying out of drinking sessions with Kevin O Connell, unless you want to get really sh1tfaced and have a big laugh, *sigh* Memories........... albeit blurred memories

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

gerire wrote:

Also myself and MrP would advise staying out of drinking sessions with Kevin O Connell, unless you want to get really sh1tfaced and have a big laugh, *sigh* Memories........... albeit blurred memories
    I would advise no such thing!

MrP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Best of luck Neil. You have a solid game and should be fine. Also if you get a chance get a final count of how many players take part. We don't want them pulling a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Best of luck on Wednesday Neill. Tell Brian to "mind how he goes".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Waylander wrote:
    Hi guys,

Weather has been middlin to good, and we are now cruising somewhere off the coast of Greece. Venice and Bari were very impressive, I'd reccommend them for a visit. So down to the real business and it has been a very interesting day. The draw for the tournament took place last night. There are 209 players in total and nearly all the big names were drawn in day one. Each player has a stack of 3500 and blinds are starting off at 5/10 so there is loads of room for manouvering. I think initially they had planned 1000 chips per player but people kicked up about that so they increased that to 3500. However they did not change the blind sructure and I think they now regret that. It is 2 am and there are still 20 players, they have to play down to the last 9. Play start at 5pm, and stopped for 90mins at seven for dinner. First player went out just before that break. Unbelieveable the Devilfish was 3rd out, his jacks loosing to queens after a rag flop. Also out are Kevin O Connell and Donnocha O Dea, although Lucy Rockash is still going, and she was on a good run into this tournie. Almost all the big names were drawn in todays heat of 53. I am playing my heat on Wednesday, but I decided to get my feet wet in a E50 sit an go earlier, which I won so I am feeling a bit happy with myself. Up to that I was thinking I was probably well out of my league. Incidentally while I was playing that sit and go, another one started that was E1000 entry, and there were plenty of takers, so maybe I am out of my league.

Anyway, looking forward to my heat, although there is a Swedish guy named Jonnie at my table,( I think to my left ) who made the final of the Poker Million, so that should be fun.

Anyway i am going to go and check how todays heat is going.

Cheers

Waylander

B**tard..........That is all.....

[size=-12]best of luck by the way[/size]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Watchout for the Swedish guy Jon Backman. I watched both of his games from the Poker Million this year and seems a very good solid player. He usually has the goods when he is making raises and is good enough to put down very good hands. Best of Luck.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

musician wrote:
    Best of luck Neil. You have a solid game and should be fine. Also if you get a chance get a final count of how many players take part. We don't want them pulling a fast one.

LOL!!

Seriously though Waylander, I hate you so much right now I can barely speak.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Good to hear Dev.

So we have stopped play for dinner and thanks for the advice Davey. Already had one big clash with him. I was dealt pocket 7's and called the blind. Flop came down JJ7, I bet 300 and it folded round to him. He raised me to 1200. I called, next card came down rags, I bet 300, he raised to put me all in. I was worried he might have JJ but I had to call at this stage. He had AJ suited and my house stood up on the river, so I had 4800 in chips. I need that hand, as I had earlier misread a hand and was raging at myself. Anyway at the break I have about 4600, which is in or around the average stack. Unfortunately Johnnie has pulled himself back to about starting position now so he is still very dangerous. Anyway i will let you know in the morning how I fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

nice one Niall (spelt Niall yeah!?)

best of luck. try to play your game and don't give the strength of pros hand any more respect than yer average boardster. dont be afraid to stand up for what you believe is the best hand. flopping a monster like that you should be comfortable enough to trap.

....this all said, i would personally piss myself after 30 secs at the table and swim home.

keep us posted ya leg-end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Cheers for the encouragement Karl, and for the correct spelling of the name. Unfortunately I went out in 19th, top 9 qualified for the semifinal and all semifinalist get paid. Not to dissappointed, could not have done much better with the cards I was getting. My Ace jack suited went down to pocket 7's. The ante's and blinds were cripling me, and I had the chip leader playing aggresively to my left. Bad luck, but now I will just have to get on with enjoying a mediteranean cruise! I'll just have to win another one next year. Heading into Istanbul tomorrow to check out the sights etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hard luck, enjoy the rest of the cruise...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ask em if they need any dealers next year....
    :cool:

(not a dig...a hint for me!....well done, nice prize in itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Enjoy the rest of the cruise, Kneel.
    Any cash game action ?

Advertisement