Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snoring

• 12-10-2004 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

ok,

i know traditionally its a kinda funny thing, but this is getting serious for me.
    every nite i wake my partner thru-out the nite an have even woke myself on occasion!:eek:

tried the snore strips an that "snoreeze" stuff, none worked, iv tried menthol nasal inhalers and lozenges, no luck!

please! ideas / comments welcome! we need sleep!:eek:

:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ask your dentist about a snore-guard, a custom made mouth piece that really works (my partner has one)

Not cheap, but will last years and what is the price of a good nights sleep?

Also helps the snorer to sleep more restfully too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you tried sleeping in different positions?

Whats your weight and drinking like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭aidan01

dont us a pillow, that helps if u sleep on the flat, opens up the airways more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I know this might sound loopers, but I've seen a "device" essentially its a ring with a segment missing, you put it on your little finger and it applies a pressure. I suppose its accupressure, you could try fashioning something along those lines - try a hardware store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

I've seen that device too..think it's advertised on TV3???? It's sterling silver and is essentially an adjustable silver ring?

Most people snore when lying on their backs, I read somewhere that someone prevented themselves turning onto their backs by putting a tennis ball in a sock and placing it behind them in the bed.......

Here are a few websites:

www.snoringcure.ca/
    http://www.tipsofallsorts.com/snoring.html
    http://www.putanendtosnoring.com/
    http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the other variation of that used to be to put on your pajymas on backwards with the ball in the pocket.

AFAIK when you snore you actually almost wake your self up so you don't get a good nights sleep either ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Thanks guys,
    Am trying all those suggestions, so far no luck.
    When I save enuf coins im gonna look into that dental thing too......
    i really need to find somthing, it is getting crazy, last night I apparently scared the dog (in the next room) so bad he was growling at the door!!

;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I can imagine what that must be like for your partner.
    I hope you're able to sort it out.
    I'd be driven mental if had to sleep with someone that snored in the way you've described.
    It seems like it's not even a case of your partner going to bed a little before you and get asleep before you do, cos you'd only wake them up later in the night.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I've seen the ad for that ring thing. I really thought it was a joke of some kind. I was waiting for the next sketch to start, but it never came. Still don't know what to make of it. Does it actually work, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Get a sleep study done, then they will measure exactly what is going on.

Could be sleep apnea, congestion, position etc...

If you are very tired during the day look into sleep apnea...
    http://www.sleepfoundation.org/publications/sleepap.cfm#6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There is also laser surgery that is supposed to cure snoring. There are two operations, one which scores the soft pallatte at the back of the mouth, the theory being that when the scars heal they tighten the tissue, this being the ppart that vibrates and makes the noise when you snore. I think the other operation does the same but also removes the vula (the bit hanging down at the back of your tongue). No idea how successful they are but I'm thinking of finding out as my snoring is so bad it's a major problem for anyone sharing a room/bed with me and has caused a bit of friction in the past as friends/partners couldn't get any sleep. No problem for me though as I'll sleep through anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A few things;

Firstly, I found that I snore if I lie on my back when sleeping. Only found this out recently, as I usually lie on my side.

Also;
    Surgical treatment can help sleep apnea

September 21, 2000
    Web posted at: 4:34 PM EDT (2034 GMT)

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A good night's sleep is little more than a dream for millions of people who snore, gasp and wake fitfully during the night, unable to sustain a restful deep sleep.

They suffer from sleep apnea, a potentially dangerous condition that is estimated to affect some 18 million people and countless others who share their beds.

COMMON SYMPTOMS
    # Loud snoring
    # Sleepiness during the day
    # Frequent waking at night

Obstructive sleep apnea, the most common form, occurs when soft tissue in the back of the throat collapses and closes the airway during sleep. Left untreated, the potentially life-threatening disorder can lead to high-blood pressure, heart attack, irregular heartbeat or stroke.

Feeling unrefreshed no matter how long you've slept is one tip-off to the disorder.

"I had been living with no energy, falling asleep anytime, anywhere," explained Yvone Hopkins, who knew she needed treatment after dozing off while driving.

Hopkins decided on a new surgical technique called maxillomandibular advancement, or MMA. Surgeons enlarged her airway by moving her jaws and chin forward. That tightened the soft tissue around the airway and made breathing much easier, curing her apnea.
    Breathing machines

Sleep apnea sufferers can have 20 to 60 or more involuntary episodes an hour in which their breathing pauses, with each event lasting 10 seconds or longer. People with the condition typically snore between those episodes, then gasp or choke when they begin breathing again.

Bigger, heavier people are more likely to have sleep apnea, according to the National Sleep Foundation. Fat tissue around the neck and throat puts pressure on the airway, shrinking the passage.

Many patients are able to control the disorder by simply losing weight, changing sleeping positions or avoiding alcohol, tobacco and sedatives. Others try mouth appliances or a machine dubbed CPAP, for continuous positive airway pressure. The patient wears a sealed mask that fits over the nose and pumps air through the nasal passages, preventing the throat muscles from collapsing.

A recent study found that sleep apnea induces stress, which can raise the risk of hypertension.

"We found that there's evidence of sleep apnea and high-blood pressure both in younger and older individuals, both in men and women, and both in whites, African-Americans, native Americans and other groups," said Dr. F. Javier Nieto of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, in Baltimore, Maryland.

Other investigators found that about one third of nearly 72,000 nurses who regularly snored were at a greater risk of developing cardiovascular disease, compared with those who did not snore. That study, reported in the February 2000 issue of the Journal of the American College or Cardiology, factored out other heart disease risks, including smoking, weight and age.

CNN Medical Correspondent Linda Ciampa contributed to this report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Buy your partner some earplugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Update-

Thanks for all these suggestions, at this point, im willing to try anything, including that, sleepy, but unfortunately he says they are too uncomfortable,...... tried loadsa types.

Only thing I aint tried yet is that dental thing, have to wait a few months, it sint cheap.
    Although, i added it up, an allready iv spent circa. €150 on trying different things.

Its getting really bad, I can even be heard in the other room, i know it sounds funny, an it was for about 10 mins, but im even waking the dogs up in the living room!!!

help!

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

FranknFurter m8, I'm a brutal snorer, I also hold my breath and make a loud nasaly groan AND make dry mouth smaking noises and have crazy asthma attacks whilst i sleep (I'm oblivious to most of it, except the asthma bit which usually wakes me after a while)... :) drives my fiancé up the wall (although she won't admit it ;)..

..but she & I have found a few solutions: For my dry mouthed schmacking, i just drink plenty of water (helps a wee bit i think).. for my nasaly sound and most importantly my snoring my fiancé gets me to go on my side and that cuts the majority of it out. I'm actually so used to her telling me this now, that i do it in my sleep without waking and she tells me about it the next day. It used to be so bad that she would get up and go to bed in the next room (drove me mad because it should be me being kicked out to go and sleep in the next room!). But as she tells me now it works 100% for the snoring.. just get me onto my side. Hope this helps... and good luck to you, your partner and your dog... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Chief wrote:
    I'm actually so used to her telling me this now, that i do it in my sleep without waking and she tells me about it the next day. :)

it's the same with my boyfriend.. now I don't even have to shake him or attempt moving him.. simply say "roll onto your side" and he does it!!! what a relief ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭strawberry

Cork_girl wrote:
    it's the same with my boyfriend.. now I don't even have to shake him or attempt moving him.. simply say "roll onto your side" and he does it!!! what a relief ;)

Men....dogs........ It had to be said ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

strawberry wrote:
    Men....dogs........ It had to be said ;)

he he!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

sanncoo wrote:
    I've seen that device too..think it's advertised on TV3???? It's sterling silver and is essentially an adjustable silver ring?

Most people snore when lying on their backs, I read somewhere that someone prevented themselves turning onto their backs by putting a tennis ball in a sock and placing it behind them in the bed.......

Here are a few websites:

www.snoringcure.ca/
    http://www.tipsofallsorts.com/snoring.html
    http://www.putanendtosnoring.com/
    http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/

my wife keeps two snooker balls in a sock beside the bed
    if my snoring wakes her she hits me across the face with the sock

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Sounds like Sleep Apnea... that or a severe case of allergy to alcohol... :mad:

Hopefully you've got sorted by now... but if not...

Seriously, you should go and take some of the online tests to see if you have some sleep apnea like symptoms. The test is painless and doesn't require a scapel applied to the back of your throat...

Linkys:

http://www.sleepnet.com/sleeptest.html
    http://www.isat.ie/

I have Sleep Apnea... my snoring was decribed as 'moderately loud' by the guy who carried out the sleep study (they wire you up and see what the oxygen: carbon dioxide condentrations look like as well as how much and what kind of sleep you get). I only found out that he'd turned the monitoring speaker down when I need to go for a jimmy at 3AM in the morning and he didn't hear me shouting... Lord knows what 'seriously loud' must be!

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try raising your head with extra pillows and sleeping with your head to one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Victor,

Pillows aren't a cure for me...

The problem with Sleep Apnea is that your windpipe collapses while you are asleep. All the pillows in Dublin ain't gonna fix that :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wrong Once

I know how you feel. If its any help, I gave up smoking and started snoring...very badly...partner moves to another room with earplugs..that bad..tried all the things you mention. Cut out drink..cut it down..changed my drink. Bottom line I am now convinces that after giving up smoking I put on 3 stone, (still a good to be off them) ITS THE WEIGHT...Will let you know what happens when I loose weight..when !!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Franknfurter: I suffered terribly from snoring/apnea until I stopped smoking.
    It is exacerbated by alcohol. I still snore a bit but it is not as bad, I have been phoned at 3:30 AM by my flatmate in the next room after waking him and his girlfriend :O

My gf uses earplugs but is very fussy about the make as most of them are uncomfortable, I also now wear them because we have very noisy student neighbours.
    I have found that the only comfortable earplugs are industrial ones that you get in a hardware shop on Capel St, they cost 50c a pair and are pretty good.
    If you want to know the name of the shop I'll check it out for you if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

With my ex, I ended up moving to the next room.
    I had stuffed cotton wool in my ears for years (when there wasn't another room) which worked, as would turning him on his side, but 1/2 an hour later he'd be on his back again & the ear plugs eventually would hurt.

I really hated having to be in a different room & waking up in a different bed from him. Didn't feel like much of a relationship.

My new partner also snores!! We don't live together yet so it's only an occasional annoyance.
    When we do move in together I'm determined to share the same bed with him, just don't know how I'm going to do that yet. :(

He suffers from a bad back, so I won't be able to turn him on his side or he'll be crippled the whole next day, which I'd never do, would rather go without sleep tbh.

So my sleeping future isn't looking too bright unless I turn into the heaviest sleeper in the world in the next few years (hasn't happened so far, so doubt that it ever will.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

I suffer from OSA (obstructive sleep apena), which caused horrific snoring over the last 10 years or so.

Apart from being impossible to share a bed/room with, it also meant that I wasn't getting enough proper sleep at night , ineffect I was waking up, up to 70 times a night due to the lack of oxygen in my system.

After doing a sleep study ( in the mater), I have been sleeping with a CPAP (continous positive airway pressure) machine for about 6 months now and it has changed my life, I now know what a good night sleep is about and the snoring stopped immediatly. The machine forces air through you nose at a pressure that keeps the throat open and opens the obstruction that was causing the snoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mags82

for what its worth my ex used to snore really badly so i tried olbas oil (think thats how its spelt) and it worked

Advertisement