Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

have a claim to make

• 12-10-2004 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

as some of you may have read over the weekend my flat was raped, dvd's player, digi cam,jewellery etc taken. i have made a list of all dvd's taken and went to tower's site to value what is gone, some of the prices are over what i paid for (many under) but i know that a loss adjuster is going to slap my claim down as is thier job, was contemplating overpricing the cost of things taken but cannot bring myself to do so, are a few dozen dvd's i cannot rem so i put themin as eoru 8 each in worth as dont want to screw anyone. feel like i deserve financial retribution but feel almost guilty for claming off household policy of landlord (all is coverd under all riskd section of her policy), mates calling me to claim for all sorts and am geting confusd,

help, any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

HMV is a good place to find out the prices of DVDs if you are making an insurance claim.

I would question the legality of what you are proposing though claiming for stuff you havent got is bad

and why not claim off the landlord, he gave the muppet who left the back door open a roof over his head didnt he, he might vet his tennants from now on, ask for references etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your claim should be for replacement cost (not original cost), to bring you back to where you were before the theft. As CDs depreciate rapidly from their first-release date, this means you will be claiming less than you originally spent. However, the insurer is likely to settle for a reasonable amount, they won't insist you track down the absolutely cheapest copy of everything.

Try to include the cost of your time in (a) making the claim and (b) buying replacements.

I imagine the insurer won't force you to actually buy them again (fire / flood / etc. insurers sometimes insist on people rebuilding properties to avoid Sopranos-style scams, especially where rebuilding cost exceeds market value).

I'm not sure how you can claim on your landlord's household policy if you aren't part of her household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

From when some pricks robbed our home, insurance companies will only give back 50% of the value of stolen items, so I suggest over exaggerating your claim. You paid insurance for the inevitable time some scumbags think they have a right to steal it and keep it, so, get the money back to try and replace all that was taken.

On a sad note, no amountof claims money can ever restore your confidence in keeping something safe.

Seanie. :mad:

Advertisement