Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHO's THE GREATEST RAPPER

• 12-10-2004 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Many times people ask me who do you think is the greatest rapper? There are so many but as far as i can tell TUPAC has to be the best. So many songs that influence people in different ways,
    Who do you think is the greatest and Why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Greatest Living: Eminem

Greatest Dead: Notorious B.I.G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Jesus tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I like Abdominal (he features on about three tracks on DJ Format's "Music For The Mature B-Boy") because the word-play in "Vicious Battle Raps", and especially "The Hit Song" is excellent.

And hardly a curse in sight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Abdominal's got an album out recently with DJ Faze. It's not bad, there's a couple of good songs but he's not as good as he is on Formats stuff.

As for the Greatest...dunno. An awfull lot of possibles come out, release an album or two that are just ****ing great then follow those up with stuff that isn't worth mentioning (Nas, KRS, L.L etc, etc).
    I'll say Rakim for the hell of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

not another bloody "greatest rapper" thread, where everyone choses between 3 commercial as s hit emcees and chooses their favourite, having never heard of Rakim, Mf Doom, Guru, Del tha Funky Homosapien or any other actual decent emcees.

Btw, Tupac is nowhere near the greatest emcees of all time, skillwise, he was average, sorry...and Biggie kicks his ass anyway, bleh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

2pac of 50cent.
    Because they were both like real thugs.
    Rap is all about thugs you see.
    Anyway, 2pac got shot like 5 times and didn't die and 50cent got shot 9 times and didn't die, so they're both mad hardcore.
    2pac has more albums though and like he makes deadly party tunes like California Love, but then he makes sad ones like Brenda's Got A Baby, and just cool ones like Changes (even if the song lifts a verse from I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto).
    But like 50 has that massive tune In The Club. I love that song. And he's in that cool gang G-Unit. They are the best rap group ever.
    Anyone who says Biggie is stupid. He was just a big fat ass. And he only had 2 albums. And like I don't remember him cos he hasn't be whored since his death like 2pac so he isn't cool at all.
    So like I dunno, 50 or 2pac. But maybe Eminem too, cos like he is THE ONLY WHITE RAPPER EVAR. And he makes fun of people and his sound isn't getting the slightest bit repetative.
    NA NA NA GUESS WHO'S BACK? BACK AGAIN?

Yeah so 2pac, Eminem or 50Cent.
    COS LIEK I CANT PICK JUST ONE!!!!11!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Chuck D, most vocally powerful "rapper" i've heard.
    MC Supernatural is a great freestyler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

slug
    eyedea
    sage francis
    mc abdominal
    roots manuva
    ty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

brandon dicamillo from cky/jackass fame

he raps better than any rapper i know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nas, Talib Kawli, KRs or RAKIM.

ps.s You HAVE to spell RAKIM in caps, it's the law.

• Advertisement

You can't be telling people how to spell when it is in fact

NaS
    Talib Kweli
    and
    KRS-One

fnar fnar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

jay z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

It's that Jay-Z?! Makaveli a bit slow on the uptake there!

No way by the way. Out of the 'commercial' crowd it's NaS without a doubt...doesn't matter if you pump out tons of ablums if the content is poor. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Hooky

Klimseven wrote:
    not another bloody "greatest rapper" thread, where everyone choses between 3 commercial as s hit emcees and chooses their favourite, having never heard of Rakim, Mf Doom, Guru, Del tha Funky Homosapien or any other actual decent emcees.

Btw, Tupac is nowhere near the greatest emcees of all time, skillwise, he was average, sorry...and Biggie kicks his ass anyway, bleh....

Think again biggie could bearly breath let alone rap

HA!

;) Tupac
    The best there was
    The best there is
    The best there will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Chuck D or maybe ODB around the time of his first solo album.

Nah, Chuck D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

everyone says tupac...would they be saying that if he was alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

giftgrub wrote:

Yeah, probably.

He is still alive lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

giftgrub wrote:
    jay z

Eh, no
    giftgrub wrote:
    everyone isnt saying 2pac
    Bri wrote:
    It's that Jay-Z?! Makaveli a bit slow on the uptake there!
    What?
    hooky wrote:
    I'm an idiot
    I think this is what you're trying to say

This Thread is turning into a p1sstake, its not tupac, it sure as hell ain't gay-z
    There are several condenders for G.O.A.T status but i dont think its something which is ever going to be agreed upon, if its put to a vote the commercial rappers are always going to win
    My opinion would be that someone like RAKIM or KRS-One who have been around for so long and have had the most influence on the game, buts thats not to say that there isnt a better rapper out there, for example my favourite MC at the moment is Talib Kweli but dont think he could be described as 'the greatest' because he hasnt been around long enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Slick Rick , Biggy Smalls , Melle Mel , ODB , Prodigy (from Mobb Deep) and Mos Def are all among my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

Grand Master Flash
    um..... Grand Master Flash isn't an emcee...he's a DJ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Listening to Ready to Die right now. Amazing album - So i'll vote for Biggie.

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Eh it was a typo gimme a break...we were on the subject of correct spelling.
    :rolleyes:

oh teh ironing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

1st = Charlie 2na (J5)

2nd = Guru (Gangstarr)

3rd = Rakim

Whoever said Eminem? I really dont consider Eminem to be a rapper, More a pop star.

Sean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Im not claiming to be an expert here ,far from it actualy!
    But if these non-commercial rappers are so damn good how come there not selling records?
    To my understanding the reason the likes of 2pac and Biggie where so big was because of there lyrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Im not claiming to be an expert here ,far from it actualy!
    But if these non-commercial rappers are so damn good how come there not selling records?
    To my understanding the reason the likes of 2pac and Biggie where so big was because of there lyrics.

This is a good point. Tupac hardly made commercial songs, he just made good ones. In terms of the non commercial rappers not selling, its because they don't make commercial songs. Its not because they're not good. Still tupac out sold them all. Probably out sold all of the ones mentioned put together.

• Advertisement

Record labels, MTV and Marketing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement