Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHO's THE GREATEST RAPPER

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Hooky

Thats some reply Gopher did ya ever think of writing a book(im not been sarcastic) you seem to know a lot i agree to a certain extent but i never focused on the person rapping i just listend to the words.
    I used to go to my room when i was having a hard time and stick on my cd's a lot of the time some songs brought a tear to my eye and made me realise people live in a world full of dreams.
    I had a hard upbringing and slowly sinked into a deep hole. But i managed by the grace of God to get back out of it.
    Some songs of Tupac influenced me and what about DMX"slippin" an amazing song.Tupac has to remain in my top 5. Biggie is up there, NAS, also DR Dre,
    i dont really like Eminem he has some messed up lyrics ,and he disrespects his mother too much(you only have one mother).I also like that song off Tupacs album Makaveli "KRAZY".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

There's nothing worse than music snobbery...you may have been joking but rap is there for anyone and everyone to make what they like out of it, reinterpret, etc.

I'd like to agree on the pro-Biggie mammoth post back there. Alot of people give the impression they've never stuck on a set of headphones (i.e. take in properly) and listened to Life After Death: original song style, wit and deliverance. It's all too easy to write him off based on a few Bad Boy Chart-aimed 'hits'.

Anyone guilty of this should check out these lyrics for a slap in the face:
    http://www.lyricsdepot.com/notorious-b-I-g/niggas-bleed.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Life After Death isn't half the album that Ready To Die is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Makaveli wrote:
    Surely all the blacks are your idols.

Of course they are! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

Optikus wrote:
    No hes not !! be bit his style off of Biggy.. plus he got raped on rykers island, not something that hapens to the greatest "gangster" rapper is it?
    tupac introduced biggie to the game. then when biggie started making it, and not paying respects to tupac, it turned to east and west

• Advertisement

Life After Death isn't half the album that Ready To Die is.

I disagree. But hey :D
    Makaveli wrote:
    tupac introduced biggie to the game. then when biggie started making it, and not paying respects to tupac, it turned to east and west

Didn't realise it was all so simple. :rolleyes:

Please edit those quotes.

There was no real East v West anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

There was no real East v West anyway.
    Word ^_^
    Corporate bull****, used too get rap more publicity at a time when it was just starting too get regular airplay on the big networks.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    By the way Makaveli,who IS your favourite? Despite numerous posts in this thread yiv failed to anwser ......

The question was who is the greatest not who is your favourite.
    It's imo a stupid question. How do you measure who the greatest rapper is?

As for my favourite, I don't have one.
    I like lots of artists, lots of different styles and I don't have a single favourite. It depends on my mood as to what I'll listen to and sometimes I just don't want to listen to someone even though I might really like their music.
    I'm not a fanboy, like some of the people on this thread, who it seems dislike certain artists just because they like another. Like all the 2pac fanboys who dislike Big because in real life Pac and Biggie didn't like each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

How do you judge the greatest?
    Sales,popularity,talent i dunno lads how do you?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Flow, rhymes, style/image, did that rapper bring anything revolutionary to Hip Hop? Advance it in anyway?
    Wouldn't include sales anyway. Most of the greats exsist back in th 80's imho, so they'd be easily outsold by someone like Nelly.

Oops sorry about the quote I was cut 'n pasting in a hurry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I love how people put down other people's votes and say things like Eminem can't rap or he's too pop. I'm not saying he's the greatest, far from it, but ou don't strengthen your opinion just by tring to belittle every other talent. And yes I say talent, because i've heard talentless rappers, and god help me it's pain to my ears!

So the only way to decide on this is to specify "what makes a great rap artist?".

Are we going for number of hits? Lyrical style? General sound? Influence? Longevity? Speed? Voice?

I have loads of artists I love (I suppose a lot of which most people here would reply to "OMG WTF U ST00PID TH3Y SUX!) but I wouldn't consider them the greatest - I just prefer them to others. I would only be able to give my opinion on this when you specifiy what you consider makes a rapper great!

Which is exactly why I think this is a stupid thread.
    It'll all come down to personal preference at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

Blazin' Squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Makaveli wrote:
    Which is exactly why I think this is a stupid thread.
    It'll all come down to personal preference at the end of the day.

DITTO

X-Dawg wrote:
    Blazin' Squad.

Roffle Roffle Roffle Roffle

Optikus wrote:
    Roffle Roffle Roffle Roffle
    What yo laffin' at G? Da Squad are street livin' thugz yo! Lay dat shiznit on the 411, daddy.

X-Dawg 4:20~~chanoona, bro!!$$*

Yeah they be bad, got so-solid chitin bricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I think the greatest rapper of all time is the second guy who raps on that "Guns don't kill people, rappers do" song.

He's mad wicked and a hip hop stylee to rock ya world........or some other sarcastic praising BS :)

*Edit* Sorry I think it's "Guns don't kill people, wappahs do". My bad *Edit*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

Please let this thread die...it's pointless
    How can 90% of the ppl on this forum make a decision on 'the greatest' emcee of all time (not their 'favourite') when they know only a handfull of mainstream bull$hit pop acts? The thread is then a discusion on who is the greatest between: Nelly or Chingy...Eminem or DMX...etc etc. To make an informed decision on things like this, you have to be informed...that's why it's called informed, see? Go and listen to Rakim, Del tha Funky Homasapien, Guru, Ramellzee, Chuck D, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, EPMD, Mf Doom, Souls of Mischief, Freestyle Fellowship, Hieroglyphics, BDP, Slick Rick, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, KRS-ONE :cool: and then make a decision. Until then change the title of the thread to "Who's the greatest rapper out of the five average commercial rappers you know?"...or, like I said...let this thread die...yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Well put, Im Very happy as voted for Guru from Gangstarr and i just found out he is playing a solo gig in Cuba in Galway on November 16th, Which happens to be My Birthday! How sweet is that! And i Got to See Charlie 2na during the summer at Electric Picnic.... Two of my greatest Hip-hop Heros in a few months! Ireland is getting Much Better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

In my opinion it has to be someone like Eminem, Tupac, or Jay Z.

I dont where u people are going saying that eminem is pop and all that cause if you listen to his songs he doesn't rap about stupid things he raps about what he knows and so do Tupac and Jay Z. If you want to criticise eminem for all his pop stuff fine go ahead i do myself. But if you listen to tracks on his albums that aren't pop rap they are all what he knows and wants to say. They all aren't like My Name Is and anyway if you's know anything why does he do this???? Yes you guessed the one thing we all want MONEY!!! Anyway Aftermath force him to put that stuff on his albums so they sell well and all the kids get there parents to buy the album. Look at his second album The Marshall Mathers LP had all his tracks done sent it to Aftermath they sent it back and said we want another My Name Is or they wont release it as it was too dark. So dont blame him for what the people that pay him want. Your hardly going to say to your boss if you want to keep your job no **** off!!!

Thats my opinion anyway and there are other good artists i listen too like all the others people have mentioned. They just appeal to me. Also when people say the rappers these days are no good you need to remember like everything rap has evolved.

P.S. Lloyd Banks is also good he has a good lot of songs and they are all good. Alot of G-Unit are good apart from Game he is a joke. I have no time for people that lie about who and where they are from. He raps about what he wishes he had done not what he has done. When people like Lloyd Banks get there second album they will be very good because they have to rap about bling and all that so they become famous and then they can say what they want. So just because someone doesn't rap about what they believe in first off you cant really say anything about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

colin300 wrote:
    I'm an idiot

I think this is what you're trying to say

I think everything been said at this stage in the thread at this stage i dunno why people are trying to start the debate again, especially with such abysmal knowledge of hip hop
    G-unit :rolleyes:

ubu wrote:
    I think this is what you're trying to say

I think everything been said at this stage in the thread at this stage i dunno why people are trying to start the debate again, especially with such abysmal knowledge of hip hop
    G-unit :rolleyes:

DITTO

Optikus:
    Why do you have someone elses artwork in your sig?

X-Dawg i've told you before its my artwork .. why do you persist to annoy me.. Do you know me ..i don't think so.. so why do you think this is not my artwork.. you are muppet and i can't wait to see you banned .. which shouldn't be too long considering the amount of people you have plssed off already.

Because I know who did it, and it's NOT yours. NEMA did it - and you're not him, becasue you weren't able to answer any questions that only he would know the answer to.
    WELL? Anything to say?

You're a phoney - pretending it's yours. That's just sad.

You know !!! OK believe what you want... i don't need to prove anything to you there is a few people who post on here who Personaly know me and what i do.. your opinion is meaningless to me.. now if you don't mind ..Stop going off topic.
    These are my NiMS peices theres a difference there from a legal point of view.. what question did you ask me???? none so stop making up crap.. if your referring to the question FX asked me hasn't a clue he spoke to people who claimed to be my mates when i questioned them they knew nothing of him.. he just going to london and getting filled full of crap by nobodys... if he wants this sorted once and for all tell him to ring memo ask memo to ring heal and heal will confirm that it is I who post's on here.. now stop posting trollish off topic comments!

• Advertisement

If it's yours, let's see a full resolution scan of the orginal photo! What excuse will you have now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement