Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice For CD player & Speakers for VW Polo

Options
  • 12-10-2004 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Could someone please advise me on buying a good sounding system for my '96 Polo. The unit in it now ( Blaupuntz radio/tape player) is, I'd imagine, the one that came with it as new and is very thin sounding with no bass worth talking about.

What I'd like to do is replace it with a cd player and some decent speakers but am not sure of a good match for the Polo. As the car is 8 years old you can understand I dont want to go overboard, I was thinking of spending about 150-200eu on player and 50eu or so on speakers.

I like listening to classic rock type music eg.Deep Puple,Thin Lizzy,Rory Gallagher etc. so I need something with a fairly good clout/slam. I like the look of this unit http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CDE9821RM.

I'd be delighted to hear anybodys views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

What I would recommend is getting yourself am MP3 car stereo. It will play regular audio cd's too, and on cd-r and cd-rw discs. I have a Pioneer unit, which has a MOSFet 4 X 50W amp built in, and its a great sounding piece of kit. See it here. Cost me €330 at the time, but I think its down to about €230 now.

When I was in England back in March, I got a pair of 6" X 9" 3 way JVC Dynamic 240Wts each speakers for the back shelf (in a Xsara), and left the original speakers in the door and dash. They cost me £40UK on special (last pair, out of box), but you will get similars from Argos.

The whole setup sounds fantastic, the bass superb, and the Pioneer unit has not failed my yet! (its a year old).

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

Dearg Doom I feel your pain ,,well I did got a 98 polo myself and love blaring out the Lizzy so invested in an mp3 player
    see this thread (mines the third post)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=182391

Have'nt looked back ,was so easy to install aswell,just had to reverse the acc wire and that was that.
    Need a new set of speakers badly though ,I think 10cm is the diameter of the speakers in there currently ,with a bit of persuasion i could fit good quality 13cm in (JBL,Infinity or Magnat).Not too pushed about cutting up the parcel shelf.
    Gud luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Dearg Doom

Was in Maplins in Blanch today and they had Riesen 6x9's for 19.99 (supposed to be half price) so I bought a pair. I've never heard of these speakers before but for the price I didn't think I could go too far wrong .

I started to put them onto back parcel shelf and found the templates are a shade to small for s'pkrs to fit properly but otherwise everthing is alright.
    Soundwise they are not too bad, at least they have a bit of bass and I suppose after a couple of hours play they will loosen up further. I don't even know if I'll keep these in the car but for the price of a cd they're not too bad of an upgrade.

I actually was considering an mp3 player ,and quite fancied the Panasonic CQ-C1300A but could'nt find much info on it. Are Panasonic a good car-audio manufacturer?
    Seanie M,this Pioneer DEHP3600MP for 131.94eu from In-car-express looks good,but would I have to pay duty or whatever for importing this from the UK.

These Riesen speakers are not bad at all for the money. I've only been using them with the old tape/radio player but certainly theres an improvement.

I'm still working on getting a proper cd unit but have been set back a bit as the clutch needs to be replaced in the Polo.

(wonder did the Riesens burn it out!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Dearg Doom wrote:
    Seanie M,this Pioneer DEHP3600MP for 131.94eu from In-car-express looks good,but would I have to pay duty or whatever for importing this from the UK.

No. For the price of your purchase you have nothing to worry about. And as you will probably pay UK VAT on it too, its fine. I recently bought UK goods to the value of £380, and I had no duty to pay, so you're fine for a measely £139. Bertie would be hard pushed to stop little goods like that for duty!

Seanie.

• Advertisement

just to let you know I bought my Pioneer DEH-P3630MP from Incarexpress saved almost 110eu on local price (what a ripoff !) Delighted with unit.
    Many thanks for advice to Seanie M and Kavs

Advertisement