Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censorship of the boards

Options
  • 12-10-2004 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

are you censoring the boards or are you moderating them, the previous topic was not based on rumour but fact as admitted to by another poster on the boards. we will wait to see what pull has to say ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I haven't read the first thread but the reasons given for locking the 2nd thread are sound. If you have a problem take it to feedback forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Entropy, have you not read the forum's charter?
    # If you have a problem with a post, use the "Report Bad Post" link (it's marked on the left side of each post with a report.gif symbol) to report it to the moderators. Do not take it on yourself to regulate the forum.
    # If you have a problem with an action of the moderators, PM them or take it up on the Admin forum.

The reason for locking both threads was valid - you can't go on accusing people of breaking the law like that on an anonymous forum, we went over this the first time we came near this line. If civ hadn't locked the thread before I saw it, I would have done exactly what he did. The complaint's been made, and discussed, and the next step is to take care of it offically through the ICPSA's channels, not to slander people online!

I mean, we go down that road and we'll have an interested three or four days and then we'll see boards.ie receive about four or five seperate soliciters letters and then the forum goes away. I'd rather not see that happen - this is too useful.

Besides, if "censorship" was to be the right word, we'd have had to have deleted your post. Which hasn't happened - we just don't want further discussion until after it's resolved officially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭entropy

sorry about the confusion just could not understand why it was closed so quickly looked suspicious following the quick removal of one of the posts from last night.

will happily wait and see what the official response on this is .....

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

i really don't think that this is the proper forum for discussing issues like this with the icpsa. if you have issues be they legal /personal etc , then put them in writing to the icpsa.

i am really enjoying the discussions on this board. but I have noticed that some of the posters can become quite hostile, which is leading to threads beiing killed.
    so far, the mods have been giving fair warning to posters before locking threads etc. maybe we need to think before we post ???

ok, rant over. now where did I put my kevlar helmet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pull!theother1

entropy wrote:
    sorry about the confusion just could not understand why it was closed so quickly looked suspicious following the quick removal of one of the posts from last night.

will happily wait and see what the official response on this is .....

Sorry to see that a thread had to close on what is a very sensative but emotive subject. Having said that, I agree with the closure as to continue was only going to do more damage than was already done when this is not what was needed at this time.

I passed on your concerns to those better positioned to answer you than I, perhaps against my better judgement bearing in mind the lack of accreditation to the source, and I trust you got the response you expected. I also trust that as you feel so strongly about what took place that you will act in whatever way you feel necessary to rectify the situation on an in house capacity. Any thoughts of whitewash if you see nothing posted is humbug as I am sure that you are well aware that in house disciplinary measures are just that, in house. But none the less effective for that.

What this whole episode has made me realise is that while I am an optomist by nature and prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, we do have people within our sport, both young and old hands who seem to be willing to damage individuals, grounds and even associations not to mention the sport itself for reasons best kept to themselves. Not that anyone I have responded to would do such a thing of course.....

We need young blood and I would love to see every youngster come into contact with firearms in a healthy way during their development. But we must remain within the law as it currently stands until we can effect change.

As our audience is not confined just to the shooting communities I think that it is time we acted like the mature, adult and trustworty individuals we are and that we think before we type. :o

Keep up the debate........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

I think most people will see that as fair, but I would hope that any wrongdoing is dealth with in the same manner as it has been with others in the past and notified to the clubs. A simple look at the score cards from the day can show you who was shooting and whether there is any substance to these allegations as talked about by others. And what about the association insurance cover what would happen if someone had been injured in an accident involving kids with guns would we be covered?

I think most people will see that as fair, but I would hope that any wrongdoing is dealth with in the same manner as it has been with others in the past and notified to the clubs. A simple look at the score cards from the day can show you who was shooting and whether there is any substance to these allegations as talked about by others. And what about the association insurance cover what would happen if someone had been injured in an accident involving kids with guns would we be covered?

I am sure that any alledged wrongdoing will be dealt with once a complaint by someone who actualy witnessed the transgression is lodged.

Our insurance is actualy quite comprehensive and covers all catagories of member (ordinary, veteran, junior etc.) so that should not have been a problem as there is no specific mention of age to the best of my knowledge.

And let us not forget that chance shows no respect to age and experience when it comes to shooting accidents as history shows!

While I cannot and will not condone or support breaking the law, it is just a pity that we cannot channel the energy so intent on seeing people punished into finding a workable way forward to resolve this issue.

Trapper, any chance of a response on the "....love fest.." or comment on the other thread?

I trust pull will be looking after the interest of the members and I will leave it in his capable hands. I will find out anyway through the grape vine what happens ....

entropy wrote:
    I trust pull will be looking after the interest of the members and I will leave it in his capable hands. I will find out anyway through the grape vine what happens ....

You can rest assured that I will be looking after the best interests of the sport of clay pigeon shooting, which I hope also corresponds with the best interests of the majority of the members. And to that end note the first para of my last post.......

I have no doubt that the jungle drums will be beating heavily for the next few weeks, more often than not to the wrong tune, and that spin will be spun.

And would you not agree that it is just a pity that some people seem to be so preoccupied and get such enjoyment with the perceived faults and transgressions of others that the real victims here, the under 16 shooters, are stilll out in the cold and we will all be the worse for it?

Any chance of an answer to the p.m. I sent you?

I agree that the losers here are the under 16 year olds, but breaking the law is no the way too win this agreement. My problem is with the adults, who think that are above the law, one rule for them another rule for us

• Advertisement

entropy wrote:
    I agree that the losers here are the under 16 year olds, but breaking the law is no the way too win this agreement. My problem is with the adults, who think that are above the law, one rule for them another rule for us

My thoughts 100%. No one is or should be above the rules.

While what allegedly took place will have to be addressd, the baby must not go out with the bath water. The priority still has to be resolving the issue and not just punishing the transgressers.

Believe it or not there are some who believe that the law should be enforced by those who are tasked with same, the Gardai, and the associations should just stick to administration. Can you see the newspaper headlines??????

This is one topic where there seems to be more opinions than I would have thought possible but where do we go next?

For the good of all and the association we must be seen to uphold the law no matter how distasteful that may be. The association should be seen to take the lead and if they don’t then we should let the Gardi handle it, with all the bad press that will bring.
    Speaking of nappies must go and change some……

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Guys, we appear to be heading back down the same path for the third time here - I think the ground's been well enough covered, no?

Advertisement