Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kick in the groin attacker evades jail sentence

• 12-10-2004 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Just read this in the Indo this morning. First thing I thought was "OH MY GOD", I could feel his pain. The judge in this case was male and I'm surprised that this guy got off with just a fine !!.

I'm sure all the guys out there have probably experienced a kick in that region at some time or another and must appreciate how f*cking painful it must have been for this guy as the offending shoe was steel capped :eek: .

I think a beating with a nail on a stick would be too lenient for this guy.

Artical:

A CARPENTER who kicked a work colleague in the groin with steel-capped boots has been ordered to do 240-hours community service or face a three-year jail sentence.

Cavan man Mark Costello (22) underwent surgery to remove his left testicle after he was kicked by Darren Fagan when the pair argued over work they were doing on a house in Dublin's Clontarf on November 29, 2002.

Fagan (34) of Lorcan Drive, Santry, Dublin, admitted at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to the assault. Ms Una Ni Raifeartaigh BL, prosecuting, said it was clear from the victim impact report that the incident caused Mr Costello great upset and pain but he told gardai he did not wish to see Fagan go to jail.

Judge Desmond Hogan ordered Fagan to pay Mr Costello the €10,000 he offered as compensation and adjourned the case until February 1.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1266619&issue_id=11533

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Ah shure he was only buzzin offa me. He didn' mean it man".

Scumbags. I wouldn't want my mate to go to jail either, but I don't have any mates who would kick me (that hard with steel capped boots) in the testicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

read the title and was thinking ah first time offender or something - would have harsh to jail him. Then you read the details and it's there ain't no punishment severe enough. The pain. Wonder if he'd kicked a woman and forced the removal of one of her ovaries what the punishment would have been like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well, if the guy is in prison for hte next 3 years, the victim won't get to kick him back, will he? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Personally i'd be introducing one of his nuts to mr. nail gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Heh, that dude lives around the corner from me.
    I'm gonna kick him in the groin right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I hope he never plays romshambo... although it'd be fitting if it was played on him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Prozium

The poor guy had to get one of his ball's removed, ONE OF HIS BALL'S !!!

I'm going to stop thinking about this as it is really making me mad. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Heh, that dude lives around the corner from me.
    I'm gonna kick him in the groin right now.
    I'm sorry but this post had me laughing uncontrollably for a full 30 seconds at least. Brilliant, Jimeatsmenu... brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In fairness, if the guy who's testicle he removed didn't want him to see jail time and was happy with an offer of 10K compensation, why should the court going any harder on the guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

10k for a testicle? seems like he got a good deal to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Seraphina wrote:
    trust a woman to say that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

tman wrote:
    trust a woman to say that :rolleyes:

Indeed

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Seraphina wrote:

Aye, you probably wouldn't even give up one shoe out of your favourite pair.

Why don't you hit the black market and trade in a lung, or kidney, or tit or ovary..I mean if you think a testicle is worth 10k...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cleansingfire

Sleepy wrote:
    In fairness, if the guy who's testicle he removed didn't want him to see jail time and was happy with an offer of 10K compensation, why should the court going any harder on the guy?
    The courts have taken to ordering compensation to be paid for all sorts of assaults; it's a trend that should be stopped through limiting the powers of the judiciary. Firstly it confuses the right to seek compensation later by a victim; in this case the victim is entitled to take further action for compensation. Secondly, wealthy people now have the option of assaulting others and then paying compensation. That undermines equality before the law and that undermines democracy. Finally, courts don't just adjudicate between individuals; the victim in this case doesn't want to see the perpetrator going to jail because he doesn't want another kick in the balls when your man gets out. He's scared and intimidated. Courts have a duty to society to see that a wider sense of justice is upheld. They have failed repeatedly in that duty. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

seamus wrote:
    "Ah shure he was only buzzin offa me. He didn' mean it man".

Scumbags. I wouldn't want my mate to go to jail either, but I don't have any mates who would kick me (that hard with steel capped boots) in the testicles.

So what exactly makes them scumbags? The fact that they are carpenters? Or that they are from Santry/Cavan?

The guy who received it obviously felt that there was no real malice involved if he pleaded that he shouldnt go to jail. Seems pretty normal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

in a clear cut case where a person admits the guilt i think you should be allowed choice of cash compo or equal revenge. An eye for an eye, ehhhhh a ball for a ball, then ya can let them tell you how sorry they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

with his left testicle removed i'd say he's a right boll ox :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Prozium wrote:
    ...Lorcan Drive, Santry, Dublin..

Hmmm, I know some people in Lorcan CRESCENT.....wonder do they know this guy :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

told gardai he did not wish to see Fagan go to jail.

I don't think bursting a left nut counts as a friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

So what exactly makes them scumbags? The fact that they are carpenters? Or that they are from Santry/Cavan?

The guy who received it obviously felt that there was no real malice involved if he pleaded that he shouldnt go to jail. Seems pretty normal to me.
    Bah, I'm from Santry, everyones a scumbag.

• Advertisement

The fact that only scumbags kick eachother hard in the bollix with steel cap boots when "there was no real malice involved". Normal people don't go around bursting (literally) eachother's testicles for the craic.

seamus wrote:
    The fact that only scumbags kick eachother hard in the bollix with steel cap boots when "there was no real malice involved". Normal people don't go around bursting (literally) eachother's testicles for the craic.

Have you ever injured a friend by mistake? Ever hear of freak accidents?

One of them kicked the other, what makes the two of them "scumbags"?

If there was malice involved Im sure the injured party would have sought jail time. I doubt he was best pleased with losing a nut, so Im sure your man was his mate and they were just messing and it was a freak accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

in fairness, kicking a guy in the balls with steel caps is no freak accident. What did he think was going to happen?

A pane of glass falling from a building and hitting someone on the head is a "freak accident". A wheel coming off a truck and hitting a pedestrian is a "freak accident". Kicking someone extremely hard in the testicles, with steel-toe boots, in the midst of an argument is not a "freak accident".

By that some logic, Brian Murphy's death was a freak accident since there was no extreme malice intended in that kick to the head.

seamus wrote:
    A pane of glass falling from a building and hitting someone on the head is a "freak accident". A wheel coming off a truck and hitting a pedestrian is a "freak accident". Kicking someone extremely hard in the testicles, with steel-toe boots, in the midst of an argument is not a "freak accident".

By that some logic, Brian Murphy's death was a freak accident since there was no extreme malice intended in that kick to the head.

But going back to my question. What makes the two of them "scumbags"? Is it the address? The trade?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The DELIBERATELEY KICKING SOMEONE IN THE BALLS WITH STEEL CAPPED BOOTS perhaps?

Thanks pickarooney. Saves me repeating myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I'd like to just point out here, it's ALWAYS the left one!!!

Ok lads you are missing the point.

Seamus labelled the two fellas scumbags. What did the lad who received the kick in the stones do to deserve being called a scumbag? Or is it common practise now to call the victims of "attacks" such as these scumbags? After all, he did try and keep your man out of jail, depite losing a nut. Oh yeah, what a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Face it, you're just trying to fabricate some "northside racism" crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

ouch but i kickd an x b4, in the face with newrock boots and burst his lip open....
    hmm was an acident didn't think i cud kick that high....
    or that hard

Face it, you're just trying to fabricate some "northside racism" crap.
    Eh no.

Im trying to deduce why yourself and Seamus see it fit to call the lad who was on the receiving end a scumbag. It baffles me. So enlighten me, why do you think the guy on the receiving end was a scumbag? Was it Northside racism? I havn't mentioned that already, but maybe thats the reason, even though he was from Cavan. You tell me.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']I'd like to just point out here, it's ALWAYS the left one!!!
    isnt that the one that is slightly lower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Prozium

isnt that the one that is slightly lower?

/me - check's nut's.

Yep, think so.

good good ... maybe thats y its always the left one coz the right one has less to travel (you know how they get sucked up sometimes?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Prozium wrote:
    /me - check's nut's.

Yep, think so.

Think so too , its so brave.............saving the right one by shielding it[we weeps]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

ouch but i kickd an x b4, in the face with newrock boots and burst his lip open....
    hmm was an acident didn't think i cud kick that high....
    or that hard
    A/S/L?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Thats insane! I dont think anyone could begin to even comprehend the pain, id say hed have preferred to die just after he had been struck. Funnily enough, less than an hour ago, i was sitting on the couch and a mate just gently threw over the remote and it didnt even make clean contact with you know where and it really hurt, i mean i was out of breath and had that kind of massive cramp feeling you get. I mean he pain he must hav felt, it dosnt bear thinking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah its always the slight tips that are the worst!!! i only hope the man went into shock as soon as it happened to numb the pain of such a blow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Prozium wrote:
    Just read this in the Indo this morning. First thing I thought was "OH MY GOD", I could feel his pain. The judge in this case was male and I'm surprised that this guy got off with just a fine !!.

I'm sure all the guys out there have probably experienced a kick in that region at some time or another and must appreciate how f*cking painful it must have been for this guy as the offending shoe was steel capped :eek: .

I think a beating with a nail on a stick would be too lenient for this guy.

Artical:

A CARPENTER who kicked a work colleague in the groin with steel-capped boots has been ordered to do 240-hours community service or face a three-year jail sentence.

Cavan man Mark Costello (22) underwent surgery to remove his left testicle after he was kicked by Darren Fagan when the pair argued over work they were doing on a house in Dublin's Clontarf on November 29, 2002.

Fagan (34) of Lorcan Drive, Santry, Dublin, admitted at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to the assault. Ms Una Ni Raifeartaigh BL, prosecuting, said it was clear from the victim impact report that the incident caused Mr Costello great upset and pain but he told gardai he did not wish to see Fagan go to jail.

Judge Desmond Hogan ordered Fagan to pay Mr Costello the €10,000 he offered as compensation and adjourned the case until February 1.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1266619&issue_id=11533

So - we can now effectively say a 'ball' is worth €10K.... so doesn't that mean that 'Goldenballs' himself should really only be called 'Silverballs' or something???? And - more to then point, where can I trade a ball for €10k??? Am in need of the dough & a quick €10K for a ball doesn't seem to bad - who wants kids anyways??? LMAO

::: ven0mous :::

• Advertisement
Advertisement