Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded PC crashing.

Options
  • 12-10-2004 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

OK heres the deal.
    I upgraded my pc (i added the x800 and ram from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=185917&page=1&pp=20 )

Now my pc completely locks up in some games.
    F1 Challange '99-'02 being the most predominant.
    I have a 400W power supply in my pc and i have 1 HD and 2 CD drives.
    Doom 3 crashed on me similarly.

I have tried Sandra and other tests for the RAM to make sure its fine and i cant see a problem.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

What make is your PSU? I'd imagine the x800pro is quite a power drain. Sometimes cheap branded PSU don't deliver the wattage their supposed to. That I'd say is the most likely problem. To be honest i'm not even sure if 400W is enough for a p4 and an x800pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Did you get 2 sticks of ram? If so remove one of the sticks. If you only have one stick of ram try the stick of ram in another slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'd run memtest86 as a start. I was having simular problems before and it turned out that although the memory was rated for a 200 Mhz fsb it did not like it. The result was intermittant game crashes and the odd blue screen. Worth a check anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

What speed are you running the memory at? Given that your running the 2.6 @ 3ghz that would mean your memory is also being overclocked unless your using a divider.

Also it would be good to know what make of PSU you have, is the pc shutting down and restarting? Or just crashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Its just simply stopping.
    Games stop music stutters on 1 sound effect.
    The PC is not overclocked atm.
    The ram is running at 400.
    Its also dual ram.

Ill check the PSU when i get home.
    Also the memtest thing did nothing.
    when i booted from the floppy it said 1003 constantly.

Also i have 2 512MB DDR 3200 sticks in my server pc so ill try them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It is less frustrating to check the stability of your system running the torture test of Prime95 (free download) than to be crashing during gameplay :)

I tried the other RAM but the game still crashed.
    I also removed both IDE drives and only have a HD and gfx being powered off the PSU. Any other possibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i see in your sig that you have the x800 pro -xt did you you flash the gpu bios or did you use the pen trick to get the 16 lanes open ...maybe this could be the root of the problem ??????just an idea maybe im wrong????? :rolleyes:

This problem existed before i flashed the Gfx.
    It was a firmware jobbie.

I eliminated lots here
    I disconnected all drives bar my os one
    i have only 2 power sockets being used.
    1 for hd 1 for gfx.
    I removed my sound card.
    i removed all USB devices.
    I got no idea what to try next.

Also the memtest thing did nothing.

The best way to use it is to download the memtest iso and burn the image using nero. It creates a bootable cd and will run on a boot from the cd rom. It would definately rule out the memory.

• Advertisement

Welll i brought home pc3200 ram from work and the same thing happens so from what i can tell that rules out ram right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What graphics card were you using before the upgrade?

BloodBath

Geforce 4 Ti 4800 SE 8x AGP 128 MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

have you deleted the geForces drivers and installed the latest ATI ones?

I did a fresh install of windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I am having exactly the same problem on my system, memtest came up fine and prime95 ran for 9 hours fine, only happens wen i play games. Dont know what it could be. I tried everything, even dropping the overclock on d graphics card, i am going to format pc later incase it is a conflict with drivers, and maybe look for a newer bios for mobo. It happens after about 2 hours, sometimes way less during games. any ideas??? personally i tink my psu could be drained, as i have a lot of devices in it, not sure though

memtest came up fine and prime95 ran for 9 hours fine

That should rule out the memory and cpu. Could be the PSU alright. Worth checking this thread from rage3d if your card is an ATI. Even if its not ATI still probley worth a look. Had a simular problem with a 9700NP before and something in the thread work when all else had failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I had a similar problem with a 9800XT in a shuttle system....

I though it was heated related but it turned out to be the agp speed.

Is your card AGP or PCI Express?

If its agp see below comments

If you go into the control panel for your ATI drivers and turn the

AGP speed back from 8x to 4x this worked for me.

Strange but i Couldnt play games for more than 10 -15mins witout it crashing.....but this sorted out the problems.

Its an AGP card.
    So make it 4x.. So the card is borked?

cool,i'll try the agp 4x and im also gonna attach the x800 to an xternal power connetor that my psu has, it has an external 12v molex connector, so that means nothing else will be running with the x800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

No....I wouldnt say that....

TBH I didnt really ook to much more into solving the problem....

I cant see any difference between running games at 4x than running them at 8x

Its only a tempory fix but it'll will get you by untill you get a proper fix.

That is assuming it works :)

MR DAZ wrote:
    No....I wouldnt say that....

TBH I didnt really ook to much more into solving the problem....

I cant see any difference between running games at 4x than running them at 8x

Its only a tempory fix but it'll will get you by untill you get a proper fix.

That is assuming it works :)

Well the more help the better.
    Im going to try what the thread recommended says.
    Agp to 4x and AGP voltage.
    Thnx I appreciate it.

Well Full Spectrum Warrior crashed.
    Gonna try a different HDD.

Try some of these if there not in the thread. Most possibly are but its a long thread.

so many many many people open threads about "card chrases" etc...
    so here is a little guide for all angry people to look before opening a new thread (perhaps should go sticky )

card crash:
    - try agp voltage in bios up to 1.7 (should fix 95 % of the problems)..try 1.8 if 1.7 did not function
    - install all the latest motherbard bios
    - run in agp 4x mode (powerstrip or even with the smartbus) (should fix chrases in 98%, I run in agp 4x mode, there is no certain perfomance loose and you don't have to set up your card to 1.7 agp voltage)
    - uninstall ati drivers , then install directx 9, after that the ati cat 3.0 drivers
    - minimum 300 watt power supply (even some guys have no problems with 250 watt, so it is a question of other components in your system)
    - try not to share the power cable of the ati card with many other devices
    - do not share irq of the ati card with other devices (seems to be a big problem especially with soundblaster cards)
    - use no card on pci 1 slot (next to agp slot) , look in your motherboard guide which slot also shares irq with agp slot
    - the ati card gets very hot, so you look if the card has enough air

stutter problems:
    - try to disable all icons in the tray (right bottom corner in default...where the clock is )
    - try disabling as many programs as possible (use alt+ctrl+del to see which programs run in background)
    - you can set with the task manager the priority of your 3d program up to high (causes some problems, but could also help)
    - you can set the hardware acceleration in windows down a notch (fix stutter in 95 %)
    - try disabling agp fast writes in bios (some guys say so , I have no certain results with it)
    - execute smartguard and look if everything is enabled
    - try changing "system" in the device manager from acpi-uni (default win xp, means a motherboard with 2 or more cpu) to acpi (one board with one cpu)..some people have success, some not (me inclusive )
    - stutter in opengl is fixed with the latest ati drivers

bad performance:
    - see stutter problems
    - antivirus programm in background?
    - other heavy programm in background ?
    - execute smartguard and look if everything is enabled
    - many people are angry about bad performance in some games like battlefield..remember that perhaps your firwall or internet conection makes trouble

How can you know if it is a graphics card crash???The whole system hangswith a black screen

Well if the memory and cpu stress tests show up nothing than your really down to either the PSU or the graphics card. If your PSU is a Antec TruePower 550w I'd say its not PSU. As said I had simular problem with a 9700 and I think I put the AGP voltage up in the end to 1.7 and it sorted it out but I think I went through a lot of other stuff in the thread that didn't work. Have you set VPU recover on in the control panel and send error mail to ATI. It must log a gpu error but not sure where it puts it or if it is readable?

yeh i have it switch on, does it not give u warning when u reboot telling u that it has logged an error report. My agp voltage is already turned up. mite be that i have a few devices on the same line as the x800, i tink the dvd drive and fan controller maybe on the same line, which is why i want to get it on its own line

That's a decent PSU although the X800 is meant to be power hog. Unplug absolutely everything you don't need as test. If that doesn't solve it your down to the GPU.

well im going to attach the x800 to the external 12v power socket on the back of the psu so that its on its own, this would rule out power problems. if its d gpu , just use agp 4x????

• Advertisement

From what I've read there is little if any performance decrease from running AGP X4 instead of AGP X8. If it sorts out your problem with no major FPS loss than I wouldn't spend to much time on it. Life is too short! :-)

Advertisement