Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham: Booking was deliberate

• 12-10-2004 12:19pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From ITV Sport :

Two reckless clashes with Ben Thatcher earned the England skipper his second booking of the current World Cup qualifying campaign.

However, Beckham insists he was happy to pick up a one-game ban as he already knew he would be sidelined by a rib injury suffered earlier in the Old Trafford match.

"It was deliberate," he told The Daily Telegraph. "I am sure some people think that I have not got the brains to be that clever, but I do have the brains.

"I could feel the injury. So I fouled Thatcher. It was deliberate. I knew straight away I had broken my ribs. I have done it before. I knew I will be out for a few weeks, so I thought: 'Let's get the yellow card out of the way'."

Beckham confirmed his hairline rib fracture will keep him out of action for over a month and the Real Madrid midfielder does not expect to figure in England's friendly against Spain on November 17.

He added: "It's a frustrating injury because there is no treatment. I can't go running or training because it hurts too much.

"The last time I broke my ribs (at Manchester United), Alex Ferguson put me on a bike after two weeks and I couldn't do it. I couldn't breathe. There is nothing you can do apart from rest.

"I have been to see the doctor, basically to find out whether I can fly because the rib is resting on my spleen. I will fly to Madrid and see the Real doctor immediately. I heard Madrid want me training by Wednesday but that is not possible.

"If you come back too soon, you can damage it again. I am in constant pain. I have been on painkillers.

"I will be out for four to five weeks. I just want to get back playing, to get Real back up the table. I would love to play in England's friendly against Spain but I will struggle to make it."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Beckham almost appears to have done something clever for once, then something incredibly stupid by telling everyone.

Should be held akin to jockeys fixing races IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

good move beckham you idiot, probably get a five match ban for comments like that.

well it will only add to his catalogue of disasterous decisions over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

getting the booking out of the way was a good idea, going to broadcast it all over the media was as stupid as you can get. I reckon he will get a 3 match ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Not only was that not smart but jumping all over someone and landing on your ribs TWICE is hardly gonna help the injury now is it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

sharkman wrote:
    From ITV Sport :

"It was deliberate," he told The Daily Telegraph. "I am sure some people think that I have not got the brains to be that clever, but I do have the brains.

No david actually people can't believe that you are that stupid to admit it publically.

I feel a Ban coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

he should be fined etc, just like roy keane was for bringing the game into disrepute.

idiot comes out and says he meant to do it, implying how smart he was yet he failed to realise how stupid his comments were. if he'd have said nothing he'd have gotten off.

plus azerbyjan will be no mugs, its not as if its the faroes at home he has next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Silly man is all i can realy say to be honest!
    When or how did it occur to him that it would be a good idea to speak to the media about it?!?
    I think his role as captain should be reviewed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL what a tit. He should get a nice fine and ban for admitting that. Just imagine the example thats giving kids playing the game.

I agree they should visit his captaincy of the England team and remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hmmm but seriously how do we know this is not tabloid ****?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

he will get a banning and i'll laugh ill laugh really hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

The Muppet wrote:

I feel a Ban coming on.

YES!

david beckham banned from the soccer forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Beckham is a damn idiot ... and an egotistical one at that.

He's claiming it was the professional and intelligent thing to do. But if he had injured Thatcher or aggrivated his own rib injury then who clever would it have looked? Also how professional did his employers Real Madrid think he was going in for that first tackle (the one that actually gave him the injury in the first place) when he was playing in a game that was already dead and buried at 2-0? Now they've lost their employee for a month.

And after all that if you STILL think beckham is smart then consider this
    1) Why didn't he just get the booking from a non-contact method eg a deliberate handball
    2) After he did what he did on Saturday why didn't he take the press jibes for getting booked just keep his mouth shut about what his true intentions were? He's probably gonna get charged now for bringing the game into disripute now and face a 3 match ban instead of just 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

According to Sky News last night, which means it should be taken with a pinch of salt, the only reason why he publicly admitted the intention of the foul was to take the spotlight off another scandal regarding his marriage. If true, maybe he's not as silly as one would think!??

But having said that, it was very irresponsible of him to say anything at all considering how quickly the media pick up on these things nowadays.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sepp Blatter:
    "I still have difficulties in understanding that he deliberately did this and then declared it. I'm really disappointed."

Sepp, I think we all have difficulties understanding this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Whats the difference between this and Roy Keane admitting he delibrately injured AIH? He has admitted it was a premedited foul. What if he had injured Thatcher?

kida wrote:
    Whats the difference between this and Roy Keane admitting he delibrately injured AIH?

The difference is Beckham didn't say that he wanted to injure Thatcher.
    kida wrote:
    He has admitted it was a premedited foul. What if he had injured Thatcher?

I suppose that's the thing though, he didn't injure him, luckily enough!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

hilarious

Again how do we know this is not tabloid bull****?

cheesedude wrote:

I think it's because Becks hasn't denied it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

cheesedude wrote:
    Because the Daily Telegraph isn't a tabloid. :D;)

oooooooooooooooooo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Nice to see spineless Eriksson backing the prat again. Is there anything Beckham can do wrong?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/3744728.stm
    But Eriksson is backing his captain, insisting: "I think he thought about what was best for England."

The England coach did issue a mild rebuke to the player, however, saying: "David should think that talking is silver, but being quiet is golden."

Now I'm not gonna start foaming at the mouth for the deliberate booking, but he could just have easily have got it for dissent. Instead, Becks admitted he went in on another player to get a card. Thats plain wrong.

In addition, its all right for punters like us to say he should have kept his mouth shut about it, but when his manager is saying the same you have got to wonder what sort of discipline is applied to the squad. Makes me thinkk there's some serious ego-stroking going on with the England squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Makes me think there's some serious ego-stroking going on with the England squad.
    I think so too. Beckham has become an institution to worship even though he may not be at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think so too. Beckham has become an institution to worship even though he may not be at his best.

You mean even though SWP deserves his place more than Becks .

Advertisement