Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new pc is slow

Options
  • 12-10-2004 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi
    Can someone help me please
    I have
    An7 motherboard
    XP-m 2400+ Barton core (133x13.5=1804)
    Fsb: dram 4:6
    Crucial 500mhz ballistix 512mb (2.5,4,4,10) at 200mhz

This setup is running slower than my old PC and it only had

XP 1800+ palomino
    Ga-7vkml motherboard
    512mb 266ddr ram

I have to overclock but what fsb and multiplier shoud I try

Can someone please help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

definetly need more info. there's no reason it should be running slower. It could well be a software issue, something could be eating up all your ram (like norton for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dunco

Hi
    I took the harddrive out of my old PC and just put in the new one but I had to repair windows
    Should I format the drive and start again (I have 60gb on this drive that I would like the keep)

well, i would definetly recommend a new installation of windows. It can get messy otherwise. Regarding the 60gb, do you have somewhere you could save that stuff?

Hi
    Ok I have 2 HD
    One is ide133 120gb 8mb 47 free
    The other ide100 60gb 2mb 20 free
    I was going to burn the stuff from 120gb to dvd and install no that drive
    It would take about 2 full days to burn all that
    Any other ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Get another HardDrive maybe. They dont cost to much and are good for storage.

• Advertisement

puet everything you need on the 120gb hd. prioritise. then reinstall windows to the 60gb one. if you can't prioitise, get another hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

a fresh install should give you a very noticable difference in performance, also try sync your ram to the fsb speed, its not much point having the ram faster than your fsb, you not gonna gain anythin, in some cases it actually slows you down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

ive noticed when i install new parts (main parts, like cpu/motherboard )..it obviously screws windows up coz its got all the different drivers in so i def say wipe it and start again, as for the storage, yeh go with the new hard drive, you can get like 200gbs these day for the price i paid for my 80 about 2 years ago..if that :rolleyes:

and overclocking, im not sure just HOW far you can push the mobiles, i know they have a lot less voltage running through em so you can up that quite a lot as long as youve got decent cooling, see what you can get the fsb, if you can get that to 200 the same as the ram them 2 running at the same speeds will be a lot better, from what ive heard most people can get easily around 2.2/2.3ghz min from the mobiles, so if you get 200 to work then try a multi of 10 first maybe giving you 2ghz, then 10.5 etc etc

like i said i dont know what the fsb will go to on mobiles but once you hit the limit on that (go up in small increments) then you can work out the multi so you can get around the 2.2ghz mark or so thats good for a mobile, depending how cool its running though you can go higher than that, it just takes time..as im finding out with my A64 :mad:

*edit* didnt notice how fast the ram actually is, but yeh sync it with whatever you can get the cpu to..

hi
    my temps are cpu32 sys28 pwm26 the case is open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

32 ..idle, say 36 load...plenty of head room there, crank up the Vcore and go go go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Like Striker said set your cpu/ram divider to 1:1. They should be in sync for optimal performance. Always format your hd's when you change to a new mobo + cpu.

Those mobiles usually get around 2.5ghz. Find the top speed of your ram first. Use a low multiplier and start the fsb at 205mhz so that the ram is running at 410mhz but make sure the multi is low enough so the processor isn't running much faster than stock speed. Now keep going up in 2mhz increments until you crash or get errors and drop back to the last safe level. Your ram should be safe to 2.7v-2.8v so up the voltage if needed. You now know the max safe speed of your ram. Now start upping the multis and testing again for cpu stability. Up the voltage whenever it becomes unstable. I know that they are safe to at least 1.7-1.75v. You should get 2.5ghz out of it, maybe more.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I have 2500 mobile and its been stable @ 2.5 ghz for ages now, 12.5*200.
    I'm nearly sure i read some where that the 2400's are a better overclocker than mine, didn't know at the time.
    So happy oc-ing

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

jozi wrote:
    I have 2500 mobile and its been stable @ 2.5 ghz for ages now, 12.5*200.
    I'm nearly sure i read some where that the 2400's are a better overclocker than mine, didn't know at the time.
    So happy oc-ing

Jozi

2400 are the same as the 2500 just at a slightly lower voltage and are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Just so you know when you use a divider 4:6 it actually doesent make any difference to the memory performance..... your Ram is still running @ 133mhz (266mhz) because thats what the FSB is at.

Since you have a mobile i would start @ 1.75v , multi of 9.5/10 and FSB of 200mhz... and work up in 5mhz increments watching the temps. Im not sure how good the AN7 is for high FSB but you should try to see anyway.

And like the guys said a fresh windows install.

hi
    i formated and installed windows
    i can not get the pc to boot with more than 150 fsb
    the multi is 7 and the ram is 1:1 (2.3.3.6) 1.7v
    it is faster but could be beter

Your doing something wrong. Make sure you are running the cpu/ram divider at 1:1. There is no reason that it shouldn't run at at least 200mhz fsb.

Up your multi also. From what you have listed the processor is only running at 1050mhz when it can run at 2.4-2.6ghz.

BloodBath

hi
    i set fsb 200mhz multi 11 =2205mhz
    ram is 1:1 (2.3.3.8)
    will not load windows if multi is (10,10.5,12,12.5)
    temp are cpu 40, sys 29, pwm 30
    cpu cooler is thermaltake volcano 9
    cpu volt is 1.75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Hi...Ok.. and how is it going now.

hi
    its running ok but would like faster any ideas

hi
    if i set the fsb higher than 200 the bios locks up

• Advertisement

Try upping your voltage to 1.8v and test 11.5 multi.

Run cpu-z to see if it's a barton.

BloodBath

hi
    cpuz will not show volt
    it is a barton

how do i insert an image
    i pressed ait+prtscn but will not paste

hi
    i put the cpu volt upto 1.8 and multi to 11.5 and 12 but will not load windows
    when i set it back to multi 11 and volt1.75 it loaded windows and submited an error report
    the repot was
    Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused by:

Iomega Active Disk, IomegaWare, Iomega HotBurn or Iomega HotBurn Pro (iomdisk.sys)

any ideas

hi
    windows will not load with the voltage over 1.75
    would this be my crap q-tek 450w psu
    or could it be cpu cooling

hi

pc reboots every 10min or so

please help

Dunco if you have something to add use the edit button. Don't post consequitively.

Ok so it's a barton. That's unusual that your getting stuck at 2.2ghz.

Go back to the last settings where windows will boot. Download "prime 95" and "motherboard monitor 5". Google them.

Now run the second torture test on prime 95 . The one for maximum heat. Then run mother board monitor 5 and monitor your cpu temps and your voltage rails. Look at the 12v rail, 5v rail and the 3.3v rail to see if the fluctate. If there is a problem with either heat or the psu you will find it doing this test. Run the test for about 15 mins to let the cpu heat up.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'm running my 2500 mobile at 12.5X200@1.775 volts

Try running 11X200@1.75 volts, gradually work your way up to 200FSB.

I found my cpu didn't want to run with the multi at 10 and the FSB at 200 or over, 11 worked better for some reason.

If the 2400 is the same as 2500 then there must be something other than the cpu thats causing trouble.

Jozi

hi
    ok prime lockup my pc to 200mhz multi 11
    it runs prime ok when set to 200mhz multi 9.5
    temp for cpu is 43
    volt for cpu 1.69~1.7
    12v is 11.82~11.92
    5v is 5.17
    3.3v is 3.40

That's really unusual. Your only hope is trying a higher volttage like 1.85. I've seen people run these things at 1.9v-2.0v.

You may have been unlucky to get a really **** chip but I doubt it will only go from 1.8-1.9. Did you try memtest to check the ram. If it isn't that it has to be the cpu as your rails are decent.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DN

its not recommended to run higher than 1.85v tho, unless if you have really good cooling! at those v's like 1.9v or 2.0 would increase alot of hit!

Advertisement