Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expenses Claim

Options
  • 12-10-2004 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a set rate for claiming meal expense when on a job? Or is it at the discretion of the employer?

My company wants to use the civil service rates for the various expenses (mileage, etc) that are on www.revenue.ie . However, i cant track down meal expenses there. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

You need appendix 1, on this second page of http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/it54_04.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Boro wrote:
    Does anyone know if there is a set rate for claiming meal expense when on a job? Or is it at the discretion of the employer?
    It's largely at the discretion of the employer.
    Boro wrote:
    My company wants to use the civil service rates for the various expenses (mileage, etc) that are on www.revenue.ie
    These are the rates that the revenue are happy for people to be paid unreceipted before they start taxing it. However, if your boss actually pays for the meals (within an annual "reasonable" level) as staff meals / entertainment, it can all be written off for tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Thanks very much for the help.

Borzoi, reading that appendix 1 suggests to me that for a day of work between 5 and 10 hours, i should be claiming €15.45 - does this seem right?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Boro wrote:
    Thanks very much for the help.

Borzoi, reading that appendix 1 suggests to me that for a day of work between 5 and 10 hours, i should be claiming €15.45 - does this seem right?

Yip - that's the 5-10hr subsistence rate .. thats how much you get for being "out of the office" for up to 10hrs - pays for your lunch or whatever and is the standard civil service rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Mighty, thanks for the help lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes and no messy receipts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

so what is the story with receipts so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well the receipts is up to your employer. Whatever policy he wants to follow. If it was my company and the amounts of cash were so low, I would much rather just make a payment to you based on a daily rate rather than getting involved with sorting through your dirty old receipts (not that I doubt your personal hygiene and tidiness).

There are a whole bunch of conditions around the revenue rates as I recall. You have to be a certain distance from the office and various other things.

Advertisement