Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New on-line music magazine

Options
  • 12-10-2004 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

OK, anyone out there who is interested in participating in a new on-line Irish music magazine post below.

We're looking for:

1) Writers. As established zines/sites not only don't seem to accept unsolicited writing they don't even bother their arse getting back to you, we'll be showcasing new Irish writers. If it's literate and succinct it's in.
    2) Web designer. Professional web design needed. No money, but a good showcase for your talents. one-off design of logo / look'n'feel.
    3) Photographers. Got any good rock'n'roll photos? Want them up in glorious web-o-vision? Let us know.
    4) Most importantly: Musicians. Let us know about your gigs, send us your CDs, buy us drinks and we'll give you all the coverage you deserve.

We're aiming for a Jan 2005 start. Anyone interested let us know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

You should chat with teh folks from ISH they had a lot of people contributing , dont know what the status is now but maybe some of those folks would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I would take photos at a few gigs about town on a freelance/hobby basis. I would be willing to help out, but would be on a limited scale though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Lots of people helping out on a limited scale would be great. Thanks for the offers, and thanks to those who have PM-ed me.

I'll post another thread when we're closer to getting things up and running and look at arranging a meeting.

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 v2music

Trev M wrote:
    dont know what the status is now but maybe some of those folks would be interested.

Last i heard ISH fell flat on its face after the 1st issue (willing to stand corrected) thought you'd know that seeing as how they were involved with Gigsmart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 NO ME TO KNOW

Please can anyone tell me why ishmagazine.net and irismagazine.net failed?

Maybe it could help MAGPIE to learn from what happened in waters that have been tried and tested.

• Advertisement

v2music wrote:
    Last i heard ISH fell flat on its face after the 1st issue (willing to stand corrected) thought you'd know that seeing as how they were involved with Gigsmart

Like anything that supports unsigned music we do our best to support it, many poeple involved with GigSmart contributed to ISH....

I responded to this thread because I know many of those poeple supported ISH because they felt it was worth while, I cant speak on their behalf but I believe they may be interested in helping this new venture.

Best of luck with it Magpie ...I only hope you dont suffer the same level of abuse and begrudgery that was so evident when ISH surfaced.......

ISH failed ultimatley because it wasnt supported widely enough and financially it proved a non runner in the end. Having said that the issue that was produced was very very good. Anyway Im sure if Magpie was so inclined I dont believe it would be too difficult to contact Denise who Im sure would be more than obliging.

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully Headstock will do ok as we're aiming for a very modest publication initially and won't require any real funding of any description. Hopefully people will decide to make use of it, and contribute to it. If not, it can't hurt to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 v2music

Trev M wrote:
    I responded to this thread because I know many of those poeple supported ISH because they felt it was worth while, I cant speak on their behalf but I believe they may be interested in helping this new venture.

what i was saying was i thought you'd know the status of ISH as you were involved with them
    Trev M wrote:
    I only hope you dont suffer the same level of abuse and begrudgery that was so evident when ISH surfaced.......

there was not much begrudgery at all if i remember correctly. most people gave it a chance but got turned off on the magazine due their incessant trumpeteting that it was best thing since sliced bread on various forums

there were other reasons as i well but i wont get into that longish (excuse the pun) post.
    Trev M wrote:
    ISH failed ultimatley because it wasnt supported widely enough and financially it proved a non runner in the end. Having said that the issue that was produced was very very good.

the print qaulity of the magazine was good and some articles too however i think one of ISH magazines fatal flaws was to go straight to print without building a reputation(regular readers) or at least some sort of statistics of readership figures so it could have been pitched properly to advertisers.

take www.irismagazine.net WHICH IS STILL GOING for example i'm nearlly sure that if it decided to go to print tomorrow they would have no trouble in finding advertisers due to their established reputation and regular readsership (therefore in theory would be able to support itself financially keeping the whole thing from going to the wall)

my 1 1/2 cents anyway

Ok .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

v2music wrote:

take www.irismagazine.net WHICH IS STILL GOING for example i'm nearlly sure that if it decided to go to print tomorrow they would have no trouble in finding advertisers due to their established reputation and regular readsership (therefore in theory would be able to support itself financially keeping the whole thing from going to the wall)

my 1 1/2 cents anyway

Hey, ta for the support. We're on a little break at the moment while we get the new site sorted out.

We're working on another site at the moment - www.musicnotpeople.com - aswell, mostly named so because of all the stuff in the above posts and us just wanting to do something that didn't involve a scene, looking for writers, chasing gig promoters etc.
    The site itself shall remain a mystery until it's launch.... wooo :rolleyes:

IRIS should be happening again in some format before Christmas with musicnotpeople following shortly afterwards.

• Advertisement

For some reason the words 'can of worms' spring to mind.

Well good luck to you all whatever it is your do if it brings more poeple into gigs and benfits the bands Im all for it . Im sure everyone can support each other , with out sending annonymous emails and the like.

Take care ,
    Trev

Just for the sake of clarity at this point I'd like people to note the following, as there seems to be some bad blood pre-existing from other publications.

1) While we're happy to receive any help that may be offered in getting the site up and running this does not impose any obligation on us of a quid pro quo nature. We do not support any music organisations in Ireland; we do not support any particular conglomerate of bands, artists, promoters or otherwise.
    2) If we think a record/gig is deserving of a bad review it will get one, regardless of whether the band is Irish/struggling or not.
    3) While the site will be based in Ireland it will not be indulging in any unwarranted promotion or glorification of any Irish music scene.
    4) We will be reviewing major label new releases as well as home-grown eps. The same criteria will be applied to reviewing all releases.

Sounds good !

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Yeah that sounds good alright, I'd be more than willing to throw in some input if you should require anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Well i tell ya magpie,

the idea is in the right place

if it doesnt get fully going off the ground then maybe i can provide an alternative, so if getting this going does seem harder than thought come back to me on this

i run goldenplec.com , an irish music site, we support unsigned and international artists, were not indulged in any one thing and im not opposed to having people write bad reviews of things if they genuinely feel they are bad

we have the main page for news articles and reviews should you want

and a rants and reviews section where we have sections for reviews , albums, singles, gigs and random stuff and a final section to put interviews we conduct, the first interview which we did with reel big fish will be going up soon,

were not in any position to pay, just like yourselves, and we make no money, but with the right team of people we could have a very definitive review of music on the site

so if for any reason you cant get your project going, maybe we could work something out over at goldenplec

TTYL

dionsis

Legofsalmon: watch this space.

Dionsiseire: thanks for the offer, I'll definitely bear it in mind as Plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

coool you know where we are

we have an audience already so thats half the battle done

we were looking to put together a team of people to review everything and anything and then email all promoters and artists to get them to give us access to gigs for us to review them

anyway
    sales@goldenplec.com if you have any questions

OK, we're starting to get our act together now. For those of you who have expressed an interest in contributing please start sending us your stuff:

Any articles, writings, musings to: submissions@headstockrock.com

Photographs (high quality scans please) to: photos@headstockrock.com

Invites to gigs or if you want us to review your CD to: reviews@headstockrock.com

General musings, ideas for features, things you'd like to see to: editor@headstockrock.com

thanks for the input!

OK, articles and requests for reviews starting to come in now.

We need more CDs / Live events to review, so for those of you on this board to pimp your acts, get in touch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement