Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'00 fiesta ghia electric probs?????

Options
  • 12-10-2004 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

ok bought a fiesta from a ford dealer a few days ago and It's now back in his garage... the reason being a dodgy electrical fault what happens is...

Randomly while driving:

The instrument panel brightens and all instrument dials fail
    · Speedometer reads I'm driving at 0mph
    · Rev meter reads 0
    · Display panel for mileage switches off
    · All gauges switch off
    . The air/con gets hot if its on
    Also when the headlights are on, they get brighter as all this is happening

To fix this I have to change down a gear or switch on an
    indicator and after a few seconds
    · the instrument panel dims to normal
    · the speedometer says I'm doing 140
    · the rev counter goes to full revs
    · the mileage display comes back on as normal
    · when its finished doing all this the speedometer and revs go back to
    give normal readings

The above method to fix it only works sometimes, other times I've to
    pull over, turn off the car and restart it and when I do this it
    usually manages to fail on me again.

They replaced the instrument cluster and some heat sensors but still haven't found prob....they think it's a wire rubbing off something it shouldn't, anybody know/think different???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

"· Display panel for mileage switches off"

Jaysus I'd pay good money for that to happen to my car!!! ;)
    Let us know what the problem was, kinda sounds like something in the dash is shorting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kavs is on the right track I'd say, that sounds like classic shorting, the lights brighten as there is current free as other stuff dies. Hows your radio working?
    Sometimes it'll be bad wiring in behind the head unit that causes problems after a poor installation job, which would be unusual on a new car though.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

The car is coming back tomorrow...problem fixed - dodgy alternator ,apparently power wasn't being regulated properly, also the oil sump was cracked. these two things are next to each other so my opinion was that it was hit by a rock or something.... anyway should be okay, will let you know if anything else goes wrong...(touch wood they won't)
    cheers
    DE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

oh yeah the radio was dodgy!!!!sometimes intermittent crackling and other times no sound whatsoever!!! psychic or what?!

Advertisement