Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Controlled Robot+java

Options
  • 12-10-2004 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I am currently working on an interesting project in collage. I am using a mobile phone to send direction instructions (fwd, Rev, Right, Left) to a Robot over the GPRS network i.e. the number 2 key on the phone keypad will be used for forward. The instructions will be sent over GPRS in packets addressed to a server computer on the collage LAN. The computer will then forward the robot instruction to the Robot cat via an RPC (Radio Packet Control) link. Can anyone give me any ideas on what type of mobile phone I should use (I will need to down load a program onto it) and how to go about the java programming required to download onto the mobile phone that will do this. Advise will be greatly appriciated,
    Regards
    Glenman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Nokia Ngage QD you can get sim free. It has bluetooth enabled and supports J2ME MIDP1.0 (as well as has Nokia APIs similar to MIDP2.0).

As for putting the program on you can either Bluetooth it, or put it onto a media card (use a media reader to copy). The latter is faster to do.

What you might want to do as well as simple direction is to build a form of logo to send to the phone instead.

For example.

eg.

#10*45##5**90

Forward 10 units, clockwise 45 degrees, backwards 5 units, anti-clockwise 90 degrees.

As for tools.

http://eclipseme.sourceforge.net/ (needs Eclipse)

Advertisement