Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin in the rare ol times!

Options
  • 12-10-2004 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Ring a ring a rosie as the lights declines,
    I remember Dublin city in the rare oul times.

Raised on songs and stories, heroes of renown,
    The passing tales and glories, that once was Dublin town,
    The hallowed halls and houses, the haunting children's rhymes,
    That once was Dublin city, in the Rare Oul Times.

My name it is Sean Dempsey as Dublin as could be
    Born hard and late in Pimlico in a house that ceased to be
    My trade I was a cooper, lost out to redundancy
    Like my house that fell to progress my trade's a memory

And I courted Peggy Dignan, as pretty as you please,
    A rogue and child of Mary, from the rebel liberties,
    I lost her to a student chap, with skin as black as coal,
    When he took her off to Birmingham, she took away my soul.

The years have made me bitter, the gargle dims me brain
    'Cause Dublin keeps on changing and nothing seems the same.
    The Pillar and the Met have gone, the Royal long since pulled down
    As the grey unyielding concrete makes a city of my Town.

Fare thee well sweet Anna Liffey, I can no longer stay,
    And watch the new glass cages, that spring up along the quay,
    My mind's too full of memories, to old to hear new chimes,
    I'm a part of what was Dublin, in the Rare Oul Times.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I can't sing a note but I read all the words and the music played in my head all on its own.

Thanks. :D

BTW does anybody know where I could get a good version as a ringtone?
    I had one, but the phone went west.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

It's a nice old song - kind of sad when you read the tlyrics and think about how Dublin is changing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

blondie83 wrote:
    It's a nice old song - kind of sad when you read the tlyrics and think about how Dublin is changing all the time.

lets put it this way: 5 years from now it'll be sung as "ling a ling losie as te rights deecrine" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

That is probably the best song about dublin ever. Even better than molly malone I think,

thanks for posting the lyrics it brings back memories of living in Dublin

in reference to blondies comments, your right the city has changed heaps. I was in Dublin during the summer for the first time since 1995 and it is like a different city. The downside though there was a construction site directly outside heuston station when you go out the door. which is no longer at the side of the station but straight in front of you when you come off the platform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Snaggs

Mayby you guys can help me.

I'm researching a documentary on 'Dubliners' and how they have changed. Do you think dubliners still share a common identity or have we become a segmented city?

I'm looking for opinions but I'll also be looking for people to interview at some stage in the future.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I worry reqularly that nobody is carrying on the Dubliners, Luke Kelly, the Fureys mucic....
    It's sad.
    To go into O'Donaghues and listen to the lads playing in the corner warms me heart!
    Have we no inspiration from tradition anymore. listen to the lyrics of some of these songs they are poetry - where are our poets gone :(
    Is it Ireland that is gone so stale that there is nothing to write about anymore, will we always dwell on past memories and rely on these masterpieces to provide us with an identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

egan007 wrote:
    I worry reqularly that nobody is carrying on the Dubliners, Luke Kelly, the Fureys mucic....
    It's sad.
    To go into O'Donaghues and listen to the lads playing in the corner warms me heart!
    Have we no inspiration from tradition anymore. listen to the lyrics of some of these songs they are poetry - where are our poets gone :(
    Is it Ireland that is gone so stale that there is nothing to write about anymore, will we always dwell on past memories and rely on these masterpieces to provide us with an identity.

I'm 24 and I love the Dubliners and Luke Kelly.

The Wolfe Tones have to be my favourite though.

I like a few of the Fureys songs alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 muttleys_girl

went to see the dubliners the other week in the gaiety....they were deadly...and paddy reilly is still going strong too!
    george murphy is trying to keep up the tradition.....think he tries a bit too hard to sound like luke kelly but at least he's imitating a class act! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

went to see the dubliners the other week in the gaiety....they were deadly...and paddy reilly is still going strong too!
    george murphy is trying to keep up the tradition.....think he tries a bit too hard to sound like luke kelly but at least he's imitating a class act! :D

Whats George's album like do you know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement