Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray paint Machines

Options
  • 12-10-2004 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

currently doing the garage , and I see that Atlantic homecare are selling spray paint machines for around 40 euro .

Anyway will these take standard matt paint ??? I was going to buy a twenty litre tub of Atlantic own brand white paint.

But I think perhaps this will clog the machine , does anyone know before I take the trip up there ?

Thanks in advance

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Fionn101 wrote:
    currently doing the garage , and I see that Atlantic homecare are selling spray paint machines for around 40 euro .

But I think perhaps this will clog the machine , does anyone know before I take the trip up there ?

Can't say without knowing more details. In general though you need an airless spray gun.

Thay are great yokes if you have alot of painting to do, particularly on rough surfaces like pebble dash. By alot I mean the outside of a large house, or 20-30 internal rooms!

The downsides:
    The paint gets everywhere, particularly if using indoors - you've got to tape the room up totally. Don't uses them outside when it's windy or you'll be paying for your neighbours cars to be re-sprayed back to their original colour.
    They are a bugger to clean, alot of wasing through the gun with water when you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

i'm doing the garage , and there's noting in there that shouldn;t be sprayed white .

there is a lot of painting ( 3 walls and a ceiling ,perhaps floor) but with this thing hopefully it won't take long.

doubt i could be ar$ed cleaing it , one use is all i need
    Cheers

Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gorourke

Hay Borzoi,
    I'm hoping to paint the outside of my house (pebble dashed) in the near future. You mentioned that there are some great sprayers out there for this kind of stuff. Any advice? Where to rent them, how to uses them..

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Ger

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You would get better results using a small portable compressor, gravity feed spraygun, and the right sized jet for your paint.

External masonary paints tend to be gritty in nature, and these will eat a jet in a short space of time, in the cheap airless spray units, such as a burgess.

The small cheap units for 40 -75 euros, are a waste of money for house painting. You would be better buying a small portable compressor from Aldi, Lidl, for 99 euros, good spray gun 40-60 euros.
    This setup will spray any paint, laquer, varnish, car finish, dye, that you require. The ability to regulate air pressure, and paint volume from a good gun would be worth the extra expense.

When your house is done, you are left with a compressor that can be used for car, construction, general house hold diy.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

gorourke wrote:
    Hay Borzoi,
    Any advice? Where to rent them, how to uses them..

Any help would be great.

TBH they're dead easy to use. Pour the paint into a large open container, dip one end of compresser tubing, point gun at wall and off you go.

The trick is to lightly spray, so you pon;t get great gobbets of paint forming. Similar to using an aerosol - several light layers.

Any hire-all place should have these. My preferance is HSS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

The paint that kadman is talking about might be Sandex which has a little texture in it,but most other external paints are ok to use.The portable spray guns are called airless spray guns.

These as said are very easy to use,but can be very dangerous.Its because of the power,was told in tech they can pierce the skin if accidently point at a hand or anything else.So be careful.

There is a spray gun in Aldi today for 19.99euro I think.But this is for small jobs,i have to say that those type of electric guns are brutal.There is a paint container on front to hold paint but its can empty very quickly.Its not worth the money in my book.

There are other types of spray guns from hireshops,which act like a pressure cooker.You have this container like a big pot,when you lift lid there is a metal tube that goes to bottom,you place the gallon can of paint into container and place lid back on and metal tube feeds into paint.The pressure builds up and your away.

Remember to pull safety release to let pressure out when changing can,or else.

With a compressor and proper gun, gravity feed gun, you will spray your house in 1/4 of the time it would take with an airless gun.

Small diy airless spray guns are cheap nasty rubbish, you dont have the ability to lay on volume, or atomise your paint , or adjust a decent fan pattern with these guns. I would not have one of these guns within 500 m's of my house, nor would any half decent professional. But thats just my opinion based on furniture refinishing and spraying in a professional capacity, car restoration and motorcycle restoration and spraying as a hobby., and house spraying for upkeep and maintainence

Maybe a professional house painter might give us the benefit of his wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm not a professional painter but I have spray painted plenty of buildings, inside and out to feel qualified to answer here.

The little sprayers costing ~€40 or €50 are not worth bothering with. They hold so little paint that anything small enough to be worth spraying with one, you'd be quicker painting by hand tbh. My other main gripe is the cirular spray pattern most seem to use.

We used "proper" airless spraying kit: A diaphragm or piston pump, HP hose and a spray gun with reversible and interchangeable tips. You fit a different size/shape tip to the gun depending on the type of paint you are using and what you are painting. Emulsion paint in particular tends to be on the lumpy side. If a lump gets to the tip of the spray gun, the tip could be rotated 180 degrees and the lump blown out.
    This setup would set you back between €2k and €3k so obviously there is no comparison with a €50 squirter.

Most important thing to remember when sparaying though: Paint is a whole lot easier to put on than it is to get off. And if it's windy, use a brush.

Hi Milltown,

Ditto,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gorourke

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Looks like Sam hire are the cheapest. HSS were surprisingly expensive.
    Anyway the weekend was too windy to do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Excellent gravity feed gun Yop.

Pot situated on the top of the gun , ( hence gravity feed) gives you the ability to spray heavy volume paints, acrylics, primers, and high build car body primers.
    Hook this baby up to a small portable compressor, and you have a good little unit. Definitely streets ahead of a diy airless unit. Ideal setup for car spraying, furniture, house ect,.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Music to my ears Kadman, bought one there a few months back and a 1.5hp compressor so it will be ideal for spraying the first coat on the house i think. I presume it would not be that ideal for final coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Awful lot of refilling with the size of container would it not yop? Sure if its ok for a first coat,was always told in tech that 7 layers of thin coats is way better than one or two thick coats.

Thought a spray gun like that is only good for using cellouse paints/oil based finishes?.But if you've done it before then fire away.Theory and practical sometimes contradict themself anyway.

haven't use it at all lad, think I may be pis*n against wind do u think?

yop wrote:
    . I presume it would not be that ideal for final coat?

Why not.

The only thing that limits any guns ability to spray different mediums, is the jet size , and the air pressure. A gravity feed gun was designed to spray more voluminous materials ( thicker ) like high build car body primers.
    If that gun and right jet size, puts up a first coat of paint, it should be alright for the finish coat.

As the old saying goes, try a test piece first.

Thanks Kadman, sure pull down in your gallopy and I will respray it for you as a test ;)

yop wrote:
    Thanks Kadman, sure pull down in your gallopy and I will respray it for you as a test ;)

No problem, will I bring down Rookads invoice as well.. :D:D

kadman wrote:
    No problem, will I bring down Rookads invoice as well.. :D:D

A feck the motor has just died on the compressor, will have to forget about u coming down now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Hey guys,
    Just came across this thread ... I'm looking at one of these for doing all internal walls of a house ...
    www.wagner-group.de/portal/loader.php?seite=color_paint_crew_en_wag&navigation=851&root=365
    Would anyone recommend it by having a quick look at the spec ?
    Cheers ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement