Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT port forwarding help

Options
  • 12-10-2004 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've got a small home network with internet access through IOL zyxel router. Everything working fine... I have a bittorrent client on one pc and have allowed port forwarding for it's ip address etc, great! Now what if I want to get a second pc's bittorrent client to operate? The router will only allow the port forward range for one ip address and will reject any attempt to use this range on a second ip address! So, my question is..can this be done?
    Can the port range be divvied out between pc's? If so what is a good number (of ports) to use for each pc?....
    Hope somebody can assist.
    :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

change the range of ports by bt on the second pc...

ie use 6881-6889 on pc1
    and use 7881-7889 on pc2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Thanks Chalk, just one point of clarification... I thought that bt port range is 6881 - 6889 (or i've seen 6881 - 6999). So is it ok to use a range outside these limits :rolleyes: ?
    Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

its better to use ports outside the range
    try going up over 49152 into the private port range

it wont matter too much in ireland as isps dont monitor / throttle ports here
    but its still better to be safe

if your azureus you only need 1 port per pc
    if its tornado you need one port for every torrent you download
    usually no more than 4 or 5 on 512kbps

Advertisement