Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G soon ?

Options
  • 12-10-2004 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I think the most interesting development in the internet market at present is the change in pricing for 3G - we stil need another operator or two in the Irish market before we will see rational developments viz prices.

In the UK the price point is beginning to get sensible. T-mobile now offer a 3G package for Stg 70 with a 1gig cap. That's way cheaper than Vodafone in the UK or Ireland for the same download.

Consider a similar service here for 100 euros: landline would cost 25, dsl 25-40 depending on who you get it from so you are looking at 50-65 for a landline solution vs 100 for a mobile one. OK the cap is lower than even Eircoms but nevertheless it is a lot of emails and news. They are just about hitting the point where some people will say - forget landlines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Yeah, but theoretical max speed is 384kbps, actual will probably be 200-250. OK for roadwarriors, but not good enough for land-line replacement, IMO.

Who's for WiMAX?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

tomk wrote:
    Yeah, but theoretical max speed is 384kbps, actual will probably be 200-250.

I have 3 people using Vodafone 3G in Cork and Dublin at present and 384k is usual. Perhaps we are just fortunate location wise. But its a good product. Now all they need to address is price and coverage.
    tomk wrote:
    Who's for WiMAX?!

Can't happen soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Any 3G data card or handset I have used have all consistently given me over 300kbps..

The only problems I see with using 3G as a landline/DSL replacement that that up channel is only 64kbps and latency..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭simonm2

De Rebel wrote:
    ... Cork and Dublin at present and 384k is usual. ... Now all they need to address is price and coverage.

Can't happen soon enough

Good to hear about the speed. Agree entirely about the price and coverage. I know quite a few people who want broadband but who do not have landlines at all. In this case the combined cost of landline plus broadband is prohibitive - now if the 3G operators would come in with a decent product (1gig upwards per month) just below that price range, I think there's a pent up demand.

Eircom is ikely to keep pushing up landline rates and there is little sign so far of BB prices dropping to European levels so the 3G operators have an 12-18 month window of opportunity to be a replacement for fixed line BB. A good offer woud kick start 3G in the cities and allow them to expand the network.

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭simonm2

... latency..

If we compared it to dial up, how bad does the latency look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

simonm2 wrote:
    If we compared it to dial up, how bad does the latency look?

From memory it was poor enough but I cant remember exact numbers..

Advertisement