Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renaming file extension

• 12-10-2004 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

I've got about 1000 files in a folder without extension and I basically want to change them to ".txt". Is there a quick way to do them all without renaming them individually? I'm using WinXP Pro.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Get NameWiz and choose the directory you want with the Source Explorer (in the sidebar). Now select Insert/Delete (again, in the sidebar), uncheck "Use name generator" and type ".txt" (minus quotes) into the "This" field. Make sure "At position" is set to 1 and check "Position from right". Now in the main pane you should see your original filenames on the left, and the new filenames with a .txt extension on the right. Click Apply in the bottom right and your father's brother will henceforth be a gentleman whose nickname is a contraction of the word Robert.

NameWiz is teh w1n.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Bout of nostalgia here.

This was the sort of thing you could do in two seconds back in the days of DOS. I believe the relevant command was: RENAME *.* *.txt

Windows is wunnerful and all that and we would never go back but I miss the simple power of the dos command line. And I miss batch files, big time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

start - run - CMD 
    CD foldername
    ren *. *.txt

DOS is dead, Long live DOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Nice one mr. midnight.

You may have me reconfiguring my desktop to a black screen with C:\> yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Class! Got it done in no time. Cheers for all the help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement