Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf Course ruined

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You have to include green fees/membership in any discussion about the relative elitism of football and golf, not to mention the dress codes and cronyism that are part and parcel of the game.
    ARGH!!!!
    <runs away holding head>
    No you bloody well dont!
    P U B L I C C O U R S E S ! ! !
    If you dont like/cant afford private clubs and their "rules" then go play at a private club, if, like pickarooney, you dont even play, what the hell is your problem? :confused:

Does Tiger Woods have a dresscode when he chats to his "Cronies"?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

GreeBo wrote:
    versus latest Soccer Jersey, expensive boots and potential fatal injury from falling off the climbing frame?

I'll take your other pints on board. But the above i disagree with. You don't need a soccer jearsey to play football in the park or boots. And climbing frames aren't normally used in a game of football.
    I guess my point isn't how easy it is to pick up, but how accessible it is.
    one football costs 10 maybe 20 euro among anything up to 10 to 20 kids.
    Golf however is slightly more expensive when you take 20 kids into effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'll take your other pints on board. But the above i disagree with. You don't need a soccer jearsey to play football in the park or boots. And climbing frames aren't normally used in a game of football.
    I guess my point isn't how easy it is to pick up, but how accessible it is.
    one football costs 10 maybe 20 euro among anything up to 10 to 20 kids.
    Golf however is slightly more expensive when you take 20 kids into effect.
    Likewise you dont need a full set of clubs or even a bag to play golf.

Climbing frames are usually found in playgrounds, which are the whole point of this golf -v- playgrounds discussion.

Expense isnt really a valid argument IMO, lots of things are expensive doesnt make 'em wrong.
    Conkers are cheap, stop spending money on playgrounds and plant more Chestnut trees! Damn councils wasting money on playgrounds...
    but how accessible it is.
    and building less courses makes it more accessible because....... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Slunk wrote:
    Yeah I noticed the thick knackers spelt road wrong.But it just goes to show they can do what they like.

knackers can't spell.

knackers.jpg

Stupid knackers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sorry, I didn't realise there was such thing as a public golf course. I'd never seen one, and stand corrected.
    How much is it to play on one, on average? I must check it out next time I'm home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Greenfees for public curses are as cheap as chips, especially for a student or child. 2euro up to 6euro maybe for yung uns.

Coming from a golfing town where people of any financial background play it, some of the best from the council estates it's gas to see some of you people write off the game as an elitist expensive game for twats, which is only looking at one group who happen to play it.

You can't write off soccer because scum play the game.

It's primarily a social game at the level it's played in Ireland. Any kids who play it here play it while also playing soccer or gaa or whatever, usually they're sports enthusiasts... and they enjoy it

I don't play much, not a member of a club, would have played as a guest a few times and a few times on public courses...

I'm think some of you have a bad take on the game...

Advertisement