Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Metallica movie a 12PG?!

• 12-10-2004 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

From screenit.com:
    "At least 75 "f" words (3 used with "mother")"

Anyone care to posit how the hell this movie got a 12PG rating in Ireland? My theory is it's because it's a documentary. And maybe John Kelleher is a metaller.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paulmartin

I don't know what your complaining about, censorship is stupid, especially censorship of bad words. It's not as if 12-year old don't hear and regularly use them in ordinary life. It does seem a bit strange though, especially as the Ireland tends to always be at least one age level higher than Britain on a lot of films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

paulmartin wrote:
    I don't know what your complaining about, censorship is stupid, especially censorship of bad words. It's not as if 12-year old don't hear and regularly use them in ordinary life. It does seem a bit strange though, especially as the Ireland tends to always be at least one age level higher than Britain on a lot of films.

1) It's not censorship, it's classification. I have a strong disagreement with censorship but no problem with classification.

2) Irish Censors have traditonally had less of a problem with bad language than the Brits.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

From screenit.com:
    "At least 75 "f" words (3 used with "mother")"

Anyone care to posit how the hell this movie got a 12PG rating in Ireland? My theory is it's because it's a documentary. And maybe John Kelleher is a metaller.
    The recent IFCO study, which I don't think was published yet, shows that bad language is far down the list of parent's concerns when it comes to deciding if a movie is suitable for kids. Given that study is partially to address how to clasify movies I imagine Kelleher decided to be suitably lenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

well technically, metallica:some kind of monster has a club certificate in the ifi where its exclusively showing until thursday(and will most likely the same in cork where im presuming its going next) so technically no one under the age of 18 may see the film during its run in both cinema's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

is it coming to cork does anyone know?

• Advertisement

probably after the cork film fest is over...like i said in my above post it finishes in the ifi on thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

herobear wrote:
    well technically, metallica:some kind of monster has a club certificate in the ifi where its exclusively showing until thursday(and will most likely the same in cork where im presuming its going next) so technically no one under the age of 18 may see the film during its run in both cinema's
    The IFI doesn't only show club films. A certain amount of it's films are open to the public (ie you don't have to get the weekly membership if you're not a member). I don't know if Some Kind of Monster is one of these though.

i know that :P, but i checked and it does have a club cert(most exclusive films do have a club cert). generally ifco certed films are ones that run in more cinema's(other than the ifi/kino) where by law they have to be ifco certed, since they dont run as a private club like the ifi/kino do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

It's in the kino from the 18th to the 28th of october.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Pff, it's not like there will be anything bad in it. It's Metallica ffs. They sit around and drink tea and talk to their shrinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Apparently it depends on the context of the swears as to whether they'll influence the classification.

Like if it's just how they actually talk (which im presuming it is) then its gonna be less of a concern than if they were goin around screaming profanities at little old ladies.

Take intermission for example, that was only 15s and they even say the dreaded 'c' word

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

koneko wrote:
    Pff, it's not like there will be anything bad in it. It's Metallica ffs. They sit around and drink tea and talk to their shrinks.

they're ****ing hardkore!

Advertisement