Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior shooters

Options
  • 12-10-2004 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

The under 16 ruling has proven to be quite emotive and divisive, so far.

So instead of a he-said-she-said-they-said-we-said circle going no where, has anybody out there got any positive and workable suggestions on how we can overcome this, bearing in mind that at least one national association is currently engaged in communications with the relevent Departments on the subject.

And any chance of keeping it both realistic and civilised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

One idea I've heard raised is that of a restricted licence for under-16s. Restricted in that you're talking about only the firearm being on the licence; the U-16 would be not be permitted by the licence to hold or purchase ammunition. (The idea is, no U-16 ought to be shooting unsupervised; and the supervising adult or club could hold the ammunition for them). This allows for the law to be satisfied and for the U-16 to dry-fire and train for position at home, as well as to own a personal firearm whose settings can be matched to the shooter. (The idea came from the air rifle side of the camp, where such things are desperately important).

I take it it's the IPC talking to the DoJ on this? I'm not entirely certain it should be just the one body making these points - even if the IPC takes the lead on the negotiations, the other bodies need to weigh in seperately as well so that the appearance of this being an issue that affects only one organisation isn't given.

Advertisement