Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even Better Than The Real Thing

Options
  • 12-10-2004 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this in the shops, sounds really interesting...

My normal distribution methods have failed me... :eek:

varevenbetvol1.jpg

1 Can't Get You Out Of My Head - Jack L (made famous by Kylie Minogue)
    2 Get The Party Started - Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan (made famous by Pink)
    3 Sweet Dreams My LA Ex - Picturehouse (made famous by Rachel Stevens)
    4 Underneath Your Clothes - Kieran Goss (made famous by Shakira)
    5 Crazy In Love - Mickey Harte (made famous by Beyonce)
    6 Ain't Nobody - The Walls (made famous by Chaka Khan)
    7 How You Remind Me - Maria Doyle Kennedy (made famous by Nickelback)
    8 Sound Of The Underground - The 4 Of Us (made famous by Girls Aloud)
    9 Breathe - Roesy (made famous by Blue Cantrell)
    10 Wherever, Whenever - Mundy (made famous by Shakira)
    11 Cry Me A River - Glen Hansard (made famous by Justin Timberlake)
    12 I Believe In A Thing Called Love - Damien Dempsey (made famous by The Darkness)
    13 Escape - Kevin Doyle (AKA Elvis) (made famous by Enqrique Iglesias)

*edit* right so, this has been out ages, if only i listened to today fm, and not newstalk!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Aye, been out since last Christmas afaik.
    Some of the tracks are good, others not so. Crazy In Love by Mickey Joe is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,930 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, got that myself last Christmas!

Not bad, but has some terrible covers on it.

Liked Picturehouse's cover of 'Sweet Dreams my LA Ex' though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Theres no big red VOL 1 on my copy, must be a volume two coming out.

Theres a hidden track at the end, a cover of "pappa don't preach" at the end, it sounds like a funeral durge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Don't suppose anyone would like to lend me a copy for a listen?
    :0(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I didn't really like that Crazy In Love cover, Snow Patrol's version (with Zane Lowe as Jay Z) is much better! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Is Glen Hansard's Cry me a river any good? I'd be interested in hearing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It aint bad,

the remake of pink's song "get this party started" is a disaster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

glen's cry me a river is prob best song on it, breathe and whenever wherever also excellent, the hidden track is good too, the other stuff is fairly mediocre imo, will still buy volume two when its out prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

any idea of the line-up on volume 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

try hmv, i worked there over the summer(was like 10e in the summer sale) they should have it if not, get them to order it for you, doesnt cost any extra, or try the usual places-tower, virgin, or e-mail today fm....dont bother with golden discs, way too xpensive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Don't suppose anyone would like to lend me a copy for a listen?
    :0(

Ya big cheap skate!! :D It's for charity go out and buy and copy and then feel all fuzzy and warm inside by knowing that you've just done a good deed!!

Roesy's version of Breathe is the best by far imo. followed by Glen Hansard's version of Cry Me A River (very powerful stuff)

TBH they're all fairly good covers except the ones from Picture House and Damien Rice.

For anyone that doesn't know where the idea for the album came from.

It came about when Jack L came into the Ray D'Arcy show promoting his new album or something similar and instead of just doing one of the tracks off his album they decided it would be interesting for him to perform one of three current pop songs. The song being decided by the listeners via a text poll.

It ended up be a success so they decided to capitalise on this by releasing a CD for charity. The charity being the Children's Hospital Tallaght. Apparently they have raised about €70K for the charity.

It has become a regular slot on the Ray D'Arcy Show and they do have a second album scheduled with notable songs expected to be Glen Hansard's cover of Britney's "Everytime" (I think that's the name of the song?) and a Paddy Casey feat. The Dublin Gospel Choir version of Blackstreet's "No Diggity"

For anybody that's interested in listen to one of the latest covers which will be more than likely included on the forthcoming album you can download it here.

It's by that ever so sweet Space Cadet Juliet Turner and it's another Britney cover this time being her recent song "Toxic".

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

BaZmO* wrote:
    Ya big cheap skate!!

:o

i'll just go stand in the corner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

thanks for the background bazmo*

new line-up sounds good, i think juliet turner's fab :)

wonder why britney inspires all these covers? is it just her external cheesiness that override potentially-good songs, or is just the weirdness of having someone more "legit" doing something out of the ordinary?

hmmm..

shiv wrote:
    wonder why britney inspires all these covers? is it just her external cheesiness that override potentially-good songs, or is just the weirdness of having someone more "legit" doing something out of the ordinary?

hmmm..

It's two really. 1) They always pick 3 current pop songs, and in all fairness, when is Britney ever out of the charts? and 2) The listeners decide which song is covered by texting so who knows what reasons they have for deciding???

B.

Even Better Than The Real Thing Volume 2 is out now.

Here's the tracklisting....

TRACKLISTING:
    Hidden Track: Juliet Turner – Winter’s Tale
    1. Toxic / Juliet Turner
    2. Like I Love You / Slow BellX1
    3. Seven Nation Army / Vivienne Long
    4. Everytime / Glen Hansard & Colm MacConIomaire of The Frames
    5. These Words / The Walls
    6. Grandma's Hand / No Diggity Paddy Casey featuring the Dublin Gospel Choir
    7. Dry Your Eyes / Brian Kennedy
    8. Naughty Girl / Roesy
    9. Saints & Sinners / Dublin Gospel Choir featuring Paddy Casey
    10. I Don't Want You Back / Mickey Harte
    11. Hole In The Head / Ann Blake
    12. Sway / Big Runga
    13. See It In A Boys Eyes / Declan O’Rourke & Josh Johnson
    Hidden Track: The Bogmen – Hey Ya

LINKY DINKY

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doctorteeth

I've just bought the Even Better Than The Real Thing Vol 2 CD but can't figure out how to access the Juliet Turner hidden track. Can anyone help? :confused:

I've just bought the Even Better Than The Real Thing Vol 2 CD but can't figure out how to access the Juliet Turner hidden track. Can anyone help? :confused:

Hidden tracks are normally joined together with the last track and they are seperated by a long piece of silence. Just let the CD play out at the end and it'll come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

There was a secret track on David Gray's White Ladder.
    It was at the start of the album, you turned on track one and had to "rewind" for about 2 minutes until you got it.

Very clever I thought, and actual hidden track.

There was a secret track on David Gray's White Ladder.

Really?

I must check that out when I go home.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

Anyone who has the Guerrilla CD by the Super Furry Animals - there's a hidden track at the start of that as well, rewind about 4 minutes from track 1, and you'll find a song called 'The Citizen's Band'.
    4 years I had that record without realising there was an extra track - and it's probably the best song on the album! The Furries are always screwing around like that.

Oh yeah, there's a hidden track at the start of their Out Spaced album too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Nothings better than The Real Thing.
    That's Faith no More's best album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

anyone actually find the hidden juliet turner track?

Advertisement