Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Requiem for a Dream?

• 12-10-2004 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

I saw the DVD In town for Pretty cheap.

I havn't seen it but I've it's excellent but very Grim. I might buy it can any of you recommend it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh yes.. yes, yes yes yes YES

brilliant film, so.. mind numbingly depressing :)

juice by taffy!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I thought it was very good. You're right its grim, it won't put a smile on your face, just like "Nil by Mouth" in that sense.

As far as I remember, it is relatively short, about 90 mins or so.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Are we talking angela's ashes style grim, schindler's list grim?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

We're talking about feeling like you've been punched in the stomach after watching it, almost shaking grim. One of the most depressing movies I've seen, beaten only by the psychotic Lars von Triers. But it's still utterly fantastic and one of my favourite movies due to the highly stylised way that it's assembled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tears were running down my face in the cinema, the final scenes really rip you to pieces. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ass to Ass

Very good film. Messed up though.
    Haven't watched it in ages, must watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Personnally found it a bit TOO depressing to enjoy cinematic qualities, etc. I wouldn't buy it because it's not something you'll watch often (IMO!). Then again you might like it sitting there to threaten people with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Good show indeed. Seen it a couple of times now, but to be honest it was hard to sit down for that second viewing knowing what I was in for. It's the kind of depressing that really is worth seeing though. These guys do it, so maybe you won't ever have to.

The mothers story really pulled the old heart strings. I felt like ringing up and apologising for anything I ever may have done to upset her. I wuv you ma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

Excellent movie. Get it..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

JUICE BY SARA! JUICE BY SARA! WOOOOOOAH! SARA GOT JUICE!

You'll never be able to look at Labyrinth in the same light again though...

Very good film... and yes... very depressing...

My only problem with it is how all the heroin addicts are really attractive and the addiction doesn't take a toll on their physical appearance at all...
    except for the arm thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

The film actually physically effects you. I've known one woman to leave the film and wander around town going up to strangers and giving them lectures on the perils of hard drugs for an hour afterwards. It's the closest thing to cinematic shock and awe.

Also pointless film trivia the average film has something in the region of 600 cuts (edits), Requim has approx 3000.

Saw it in the cinema, bought the video, but have never watched it. I really want to watch it again, but am still mentally psyching myself up for it.

Do not watch it if you are tired or distracted. Make time, set it aside for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Its a fantastic film..... emotionally draining though.... i felt sooo sorry for the mother in it... the music also is great.... havnt seen it in about a year though i bought it on DVD when i was in the states. Has it been on telly yet...????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

gazzer wrote:
    Has it been on telly yet...????
    i can't see rte showing this movie in a hurry, certainly not before the midnight mark

good movie, i bought the dvd myself some time back and though i love the film have only managed to watch the dvd twice in 1.5 years. it is not the type of movie you'll watch over and over (such as withnail & i), so in terms of value for money you might be better just renting it out?

soundtrack is fantastic too btw, composed by yer man who did a few tracks for darren aranofsky's superior movie PI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

After seeing this film I can honestly say that I'll never look at a double-ended dildo the same way again. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Cheers folks :D I mainly want to see it because I'm a big Darren Aronofsky fan, PI being one of my favourites!! Great Soundtrack too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

jArgHA wrote:
    i can't see rte showing this movie in a hurry, certainly not before the midnight mark

good movie, i bought the dvd myself some time back and though i love the film have only managed to watch the dvd twice in 1.5 years. it is not the type of movie you'll watch over and over (such as withnail & i), so in terms of value for money you might be better just renting it out?

soundtrack is fantastic too btw, composed by yer man who did a few tracks for darren aranofsky's superior movie PI
    Clint Mansell did the excellent soundtrack. He's worked with Nine Inch Nails before I think. Trent Reznor is thanked in the credits.

Probably my favourite film, although I've only seen it twice. It's not exactly easy viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

As has been said before, its an excellent movie but it just shows you how society can really condemn some people. Very powerful, but very disturbing also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

to be honest the mothers addiction was the more frightening aspect of this as it was something the could happen more easily than heroine addiction even if it was done in an over the top way, the whole film is one techni-colored nightmare, the scene with the dildo leaves you feeling the worst, torn between being turned on and wanting to be sick.

amazing movie, the director other movie "pie" (not sure how to type the symbol) is also well woth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Made me feel as bad as when I seen Bone Daddy.

Bone daddy is a guy who takes the bones out of all your limbs and feeds you on a drip to keep you alive while your boneless arms hang over the sides of the bed like skin ribbons.

SICK!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I watched this just before having to go to a job interview, I really wish i didnt, all i could think of during the interview was the ending......... The way it builds up and up, Not one to stick on after sunday lunch with the in-laws...........

Sean.

Buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Bought it,watched it. Awesome movie.

The last half hour/20 minutes were just torture. The music, Despite hearing it in dozens of other thing just stays with you after.

Harry Injecting to his black arm just made sick and the ending was just the final punch with them all going into the Foetus like position. Marion in particular with the bag of heiron.

On a complete change of mood did anyone see the Simpson's homage with Homer's addiction to the Ribwitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

plazzTT wrote:
    Clint Mansell did the excellent soundtrack. He's worked with Nine Inch Nails before I think. Trent Reznor is thanked in the credits.

Probably my favourite film, although I've only seen it twice. It's not exactly easy viewing.

Clint Mansell is the former front man with Pop Will Eat Itself who incidentally are doing a reunion tour in January.I'm obviously over the moon their back together for a few gigs but can't understand what's in it for Clint.He was doing very well out of his film work.He was paid a lot of money for the main theme from Requiem For A Dream which was used for the trailer to The Two Towers.He also worked on the flims,Pi,The Hole and Knockaround Guys along with a couple more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

By the way for fans of Darren Aronovsky who didn't know,he is set to direct the film version of the classic novel Watchmen.I haven't read it but a friend of my is thrilled cause he couldn't put the book down and is a fan of Aronovsky.As Clint has already worked twice with Darren, it would only be perfect if he writes the score again.But we all know that this is not always the case in the film industry,but surely the job should go to someone who the director already knows is good, and also someone who dedicated the lyrics of one of his old song to the series.

PWEI wrote:
    By the way for fans of Darren Aronovsky who didn't know,he is set to direct the film version of the classic novel Watchmen.I haven't read it but a friend of my is thrilled cause he couldn't put the book down and is a fan of Aronovsky.As Clint has already worked twice with Darren, it would only be perfect if he writes the score again.But we all know that this is not always the case in the film industry,but surely the job should go to someone who the director already knows is good, and also someone who dedicated the lyrics of one of his old song to the series.

Hmmmmmmm

I'd be suspicious of this. Several directors most notably Terry Gilliam have attempted to produce the watchmen, and all have failed (Gilliam even mentions it as one of his greatest never made films in his book dark knights and holy grails)

The watchmen is an amazing graphic novel, but pretty much unfilmably due to it's narrative structure, and to bring it in at the kind of length and style most of what makes the watchmen brilliant would be lost.

So I'm doubtful about this story. However he's down for it on imdb.com
    here

but he's also down for the film adaption of lone wolf and cub (how cool would that be) as well, and is apparently in pre production of the fountain, which is supposed to be an amazing unfilmable script that's been floating round hollywood for years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'The Fountain' is a go, as far as I'm aware and I'm sure I've read in a few places that he's set for 'Watchmen'. I'm also a bit wary of trying to adapt it however. One of the most problematic bits would be trying to incorporate the pirate comic book story that runs alongside the main narrative. Yes, you could ditch it but you'd be losing a hell of a lot of clever parallelism, as well as a great story in its own right. I've heard of Jude Law touted as Ozymondias, which would be a good choice given his looks and ability to convey superior arrogance.

'The Fountain' is a go, as far as I'm aware and I'm sure I've read in a few places that he's set for 'Watchmen'. I'm also a bit wary of trying to adapt it however. One of the most problematic bits would be trying to incorporate the pirate comic book story that runs alongside the main narrative. Yes, you could ditch it but you'd be losing a hell of a lot of clever parallelism, as well as a great story in its own right. I've heard of Jude Law touted as Ozymondias, which would be a good choice given his looks and ability to convey superior arrogance.

Not to mention trying to do justice to Dr Manhattan's mindset, and just how detached from normal human conscience he becomes. Not to mention to the plot is very time specific (alt reality 70s) and will require either updating or an immense amount of backstory to be crammed into such a short space.

I kinda like Ron Perlman as the comedian. I think after adaptation Nick Cage could do a great Owl, Jennifer Connolly as....(christ been years, whats Dr Manhattan's wife called?) Who plays Rorschach ?

Advertisement