Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP word problem

• 12-10-2004 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I have a document created in Microsoft Works Word, but when I send it as an attachment nobody can open it. Is this another of MS s ingenious tricks to confuse us punters or am i a technophobe dummy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's in Works format - .wps

You'll need to go to File -> Save As....

And change the "Save As Type" box to "Rich Text Format (.rtf)" before you can attach the document to the mail.

Yes it is a tool MS use to force Works users to upgrade to Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

gazz66 wrote:
    I have a document created in Microsoft Works Word, but when I send it as an attachment nobody can open it. Is this another of MS s ingenious tricks to confuse us punters or am i a technophobe dummy
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but Microsoft Works and Microsoft Word are too different programs.

I'll assume you mean Microsoft Word - you may have a newer version of Word than some of people you're sending it to so problems may occur there, as some features in new versions of Word will not convert well in older versions!

EDIT: You obviously meant Works - will leave the post here for future reference anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I thought it was possible to save a document created in MS word works into MS word format.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jessy wrote:
    I thought it was possible to save a document created in MS word works into MS word format.
    ha ha - you obviously don't remember the fuss over word 95/97 compability..

There is a simple reason you can't do this - MONEY - if you could edit works/word documents in the other program corporates might avoid the microsoft tax by buying the cheaper one.

If you are sending document to other users use a common format. Works is similar to Word 2 in look and feel. It can save to rtf and older word doc format.

www.openoffice.org - does not handle works docs, it goes straight for the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

if you could edit works/word documents in the other program corporates might avoid the microsoft tax by buying the cheaper one.

I didnt say you could edit them i just said you could save them as .doc from MS word works (like an export). You can't open .docs from MS word Works. and if you cant open them then theres no chance of editing them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement