Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm almost online! Kinda.

Options
  • 13-10-2004 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

It's a miracle! It's amazing! Having waited just 7 long months so far, eircom have just promised (not forecasted, but actually used the word "definitely"), that by the end of November, I'll have, wait for it...

A phone line!

This is, actually, a massive improvement on their previous forecast of some time "early next year". If it weren't for Damien and IrelandOffline getting me my 30 seconds of rant-airspace on Morning Ireland a few weeks ago, I doubt it would be so. (My neighbours say eircom contractors arrived in force the very next day, and stayed a week (or more) laying cables and generally sitting down local manholes doing stuff).

So thanks all! Keep it up - making noise helps :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Great to hear ye can now get phones in Co. Kildare . Intel will be delighted to hear that :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i've had a phone for years up here in donegal but a year down the line since the exchange was enabled for dsl my line is still failing the line test and the only answer i've had is that its a new technology and not all lines are suitable
    hope you have more luck than me in getting broadband (both me and my partner now work from home so we could really do with it now ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Get photos of what they are doing if not too late. Make sure to ask Eircom if your new line will be a proper line or will it have a line splitter. They are obliged to tell you if you have a linesplitter. They are however not obliged to give you a "real" line if the resources are not available for them to do it. (Right Telco Experts ?)

I hope you've emailed Morning Ireland and thanked them and specifically mentioned the journalist who interviewed you. Be nice for her boss to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

AndrewMc wrote:
    A phone line!
    So thanks all! Keep it up - making noise helps :D

Well done - it just shows the power of standing up and being counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

i've had a phone for years up here in donegal but a year down the line since the exchange was enabled for dsl my line is still failing the line test and the only answer i've had is that its a new technology and not all lines are suitable
    hope you have more luck than me in getting broadband (both me and my partner now work from home so we could really do with it now ).

How far are you from your exchange?
    Is there a splitter on your line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

damien.m wrote:
    Get photos of what they are doing if not too late.

Unfortunately it is too late. They worked during the day while I wasn't there.
    damien.m wrote:
    Make sure to ask Eircom if your new line will be a proper line or will it have a line splitter. They are obliged to tell you if you have a linesplitter. They are however not obliged to give you a "real" line if the resources are not available for them to do it. (Right Telco Experts ?)

Didn't think of asking at the time, to be honest (still in shock, see), but just rang back. To the best of her knowledge all the lines are separate, dedicated lines - no splitters. I can't imagine it's likely (believe it or not), since from my neighbour's description they laid about 700m of what sounded like fibre from the main road (N78) to a new exchange right outside the housing estate. They'd have to have installed about 60-80 splitters at least from the old exchange to give everyone a line who was waiting for it.
    damien.m wrote:
    I hope you've emailed Morning Ireland and thanked them and specifically mentioned the journalist who interviewed you. Be nice for her boss to see it.

Done.

Thanks,

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

De Rebel wrote:
    How far are you from your exchange?
    Is there a splitter on your line?
    about 3.5km no splitter any more - the lines actually starts failing about 2k down the road nothing passes the line test after a particular pole with a big white box on it - i get 45-50k download speed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Pairgains are small white boxes, arent they? I notice though that the lines on my road terminate above ground in a medium sized box and go underground when it reaches the (now bypassed) main road. Other roads have the same scenario with large white boxes on poles along the former N1. None of the lines that pass through these boxes pass the DSL test. That could be distance limitation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Some pairgains are "Big White Boxes" .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Pairgains are small white boxes, arent they?
    Muck wrote:
    Some pairgains are "Big White Boxes"
    Will someone think of the Medium White Boxes!!! ;)

• Advertisement

What I mean is that I know of a smallish, fairly flat box which has 2 lines from houses going into it and one going out would be a pairgain but are there other kinds which take in thick black cables? I thought they were junction boxes but perhaps those in the know could inform me of the right information?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Get your digital camera out and take some snaps...

I dont have a digital camera at the moment but I'll have one next week.

Advertisement