Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Shopping

• 13-10-2004 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I know its a bit early to be talking about Christmas - but I was just wondering if many of you have bought or even thought about buying presents!?

It is so funny that ever year people go rushing out to buy last minute presents when there is the whole year to do it!

Is there any good websites anyone can recommend to buy stuff on?

I can't believe that some shops around the country have Christmas Decorations for sale already - grr its only October! I know I'm talking about it in this message, but its just out of curiousity!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I certainly wouldn't consider the entire year open for Christmas shopping. I don't even like to think about the season until at least November. I usually get my presents about a week or two before hand. Shopping irritates me, but Christmas I usually get everything in about 2 hours.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Naw, I normally get all my shopping done in the last week. Given I've only one sister, one set of parents, and one grandparent it doesn't take long either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

I've gotten a few presents already. I have quite a lot to get so I have to start early. I have two kids which will be quite expensive getting their toys and clothes. Also I have around 35 other people to get for which includes my Mam, stepdad, grandad, uncles, aunts, cousins, cousin's children, friends and some neighbours. I know its madness but they all buy for me so really need to get something back. Every year our family is saying how ridiculous its getting with us all buying for each other but nothing is changing. I suggested Kris Kindle but they said its not the same..

Don't bother with websites but do find Heatons great for presents. Also Boots and Roches. Smyths for the kids as its cheaper generally than Argos and you can buy saving stamps which is great if you're a parent or have a few nieces and nephews to buy for.

I know what you mean about leaving it til the last minute. Last few years I havn't had to go to town on Xmas Eve which was great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Was in Portugal a few weeks ago- brought back a mixed case of spirits to give away as Christmas pressies. Figured it made sense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i like this idea

*wishes i thought of it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I decide what I'm getting a week or two before and then only buy all the presents on Christmas Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I reckin I'll buy all my presents for next year just after christmas in the sales and hide them for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Wtf is the story with Irish parents getting new clothes for their kids at Christmas (totally seperate from actual presents it seems)?! I mean, why not just get clothes when they actually need them?
    Every year our family is saying how ridiculous its getting with us all buying for each other but nothing is changing. I suggested Kris Kindle but they said its not the same..

Go on, save yourself some cash and be a pioneer at the same time, dont get them anything! That half ass winge about it not being the same is just a cop out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Wtf is the story with Irish parents getting new clothes for their kids at Christmas (totally seperate from actual presents it seems)?! I mean, why not just get clothes when they actually need them?

You have a point. (and i agree with it)
    Go on, save yourself some cash and be a pioneer at the same time, dont get them anything! That half ass winge about it not being the same is just a cop out.

Bah Humbug.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

climaxer wrote:
    I know its madness but they all buy for me so really need to get something back. Every year our family is saying how ridiculous its getting with us all buying for each other but nothing is changing.
    Get most of them nothing. When they ask say you got them 'a surprise'. When they ask where it is or what it is tell them you got them nothing.

I guarantee that they'll be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I usually get stuff like Teddys and stuff for the babies from eBay and other stuff for the rest of the realatives from there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Like every other year, I have decided to get all my shopping done y end of November. But like every other year, that just aint going to happen, though i intend doing alot of it online, so the earlier the better.

Anyways, xmas eve wouldnt be the same without the panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,ve hear stories of people who but their Christmas Presents in the previous Januarys sales.

That's way too organised for me But as we have a large extended family my purchasing department usually start about now.

Imposter wrote:
    Get most of them nothing. When they ask say you got them 'a surprise'. When they ask where it is or what it is tell them you got them nothing.

I guarantee that they'll be surprised.

I would love to have the nerve believe me! Teased my little 7 yr old cousin last year and said I forgot to get him something and he nearly started crying :eek:

As for not buying them clothes - do any of you have kids because all kids get new clothes now for xmas and would you really let your child be the odd one out. Its much harder in reality to have your child the only one on the street without the latest fashions on xmas morning. It is sad that xmas has lost its true meaning But we do go to mass, visit the graves, and I try and let my kids know the real meaning of Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I kept two Easter eggs to give out as Christmas presents.
    I can't wait to see the faces when they are opened.
    I know I'm bad but I'm good at it. :D

BTW the BB date is Feb 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

climaxer wrote:
    I would love to have the nerve believe me! Teased my little 7 yr old cousin last year and said I forgot to get him something and he nearly started crying :eek:

I try and let my kids know the real meaning of Christmas.

Im sure your kids are proud **points to users nick**

**snigger**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

gimmick wrote:
    Anyways, xmas eve wouldnt be the same without the panic.
    lol, It's funny cos it's true!:D
    climaxer wrote:
    Its much harder in reality to have your child the only one on the street without the latest fashions on xmas morning.
    :rolleyes: :eek:

Dathai wrote:
    Im sure your kids are proud **points to users nick**

**snigger**

Glad you're amused Dathai. My kids are proud of me but in all fairness I hardly tell them oh btw Mammy's nick on boards is such and such. Parents do have private lifes you know or maybe you didn't but your comment is uncalled for and very childish.

RobertFoster - you are bored and shocked all at once by my comment - good for you.

climaxer wrote:
    very childish.

Tekkit Daithai!!

Latest fashions? Why should your kids have to wear something just because other people decided it was fashionable?

Tekkit Daithai!!

Latest fashions? Why should your kids have to wear something just because other people decided it was fashionable?

You obviously don't have kids or a preteen anyway - my daughter is 11.5yrs old and wants the latest fashions. Most girls her age are the same. Its not what other people think is fashionable - she likes getting new clothes and gets new clothes for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I did all my shopping online last year. It's the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I did all my shopping online last year. It's the way to go.

God be with the days when "online shopping" ment robbing a pair of jeans from someone's washing line. ;)

Your right, I don't.
    I understand about the "fitting in" thing, its just the way you phrased it originally it sounded like you were more concerend about your kids having new clothes than the kids, in a kind of "what would the neighbours think?" kind of way.

My mother used to buy me new clothes every christmas until I was about 13 I asked her why she did this (we were short on money), she said "I thought you wanted new clothes", I told her no, my old clothes are still in a wearable state. So from then I only got new clothes when I needed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

My christmas shopping normally involves the saturday before christmas and the day of christmas eve... Try to get it all done as quickly as possible because i really hate shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

NO.

I refuse to talk about Christmas. This thread is 2 months early. Bring it back up in December. :)

seamus wrote:
    I talk about Christmas. :)

Too late man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Usually start my christmas shopping on the 23rd or 24th of december, I have been known to buy someones present at half three in the morning where the shopping centres do that 24 hour thing before christmas

Advertisement