Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Éire v Faroe's (will include scores)

• 13-10-2004 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'd thought I'd start a thread for this very important game, we simply have to get 3 points.

Andy Reid is only Injury worry within the current squad, (Clinton Morrisson has returned to his club) so it appears as if the Ginger Pele himself may start up front.

I'd prefer to see the following team should Reid be missing:

_______________Given__________________

Carr____Cunningham___O'Brien____O'Shea

Finnan_____Keane____Kavanagh____Kilbane

____________Keane____Duff_____________

What do you think?

(Edited for the fada)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Who the hell are Eire?

The official team name is "The Republic of Ireland", mostly people abbreviate to Rep. of Ireland or just Ireland but there is no such country as Eire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

...eh syke.. keep a lid on it will you....

Id say that'll more than likely be the line up. It looks reasonable enough and theres not too much deviation from the paris line-up.

I'd predict that we rattle at least 4 past them.....

dont forget folks to jeer the left back for the faroes.... paris stylee :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh god get over it.

But if you want to argue it:
    Éire (in the Irish language, translated as "Ireland") is the name given in Article 4 of the 1937 Irish constitution to the twenty-six county Irish state that was created under the 1921 Anglo-Irish Treaty and which had been known between 1922 and 1937 as the Irish Free State.

Now back to soccer :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

irish1 wrote:

_______________Given__________________

Finnan_____Keane____Kavanagh____Kilbane

____________Keane____Duff_____________
    QUOTE]

Leave out Roy Keane. Miller in. We WILL win this game without Roy, but if he plays and gets booked then he misses the absolutely crucial away game against Isreal in March

True but Miller hasn't played very much, and every game that Roy plays in will help the younger players. I'd prefer to start with him and then if things are going well bring him off at half time.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    True but Miller hasn't played very much, and every game that Roy plays in will help the younger players. I'd prefer to start with him and then if things are going well bring him off at half time.

Anyone know who the ref is and whats his calibre? A card happy ref could have Keane booked in the first few mins for practically nothing. I guess the plus point might be that Faroes probably would have the tendancy to dive around the place like nancy boys. Bein all northern and hardy and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Why would we shift Kilbane out of the centre of the park after he just delivered probably his best performance in an Ireland jersey there on Saturday?

One change Doc for Morrison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At the rsik of getting a slap I wondered about the eire thing watching the France game - this is Irelande! Anyway I fully expect the Faroese to put up a good show but heck if Eire dont win this...memories of Lichtenstein come flooding back!

Mike.

Edit due to double post

Why would we shift Kilbane out of the centre of the park after he just delivered probably his best performance in an Ireland jersey there on Saturday?

One change Doc for Morrison.

Good Point, but I just think that if we start with Doc we will end up lobbing the ball forward every time. Plus Kavanagh has done well when he has come in. Kilbane can do his bit on the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

irish1 wrote:
    Good Point, but I just think that if we start with Doc we will end up lobbing the ball forward every time. Plus Kavanagh has done well when he has come in. Kilbane can do his bit on the wing.

I can't agree, I must say. Duff on the wing (his best position), Kilbane in the centre (his best performance for ireland last weekend merits this) and put the big donkey up front (you know who I'm talking about).

On a side topic, I hope my tickets arrive today in the post, won't be much use if they arrive tommorrow!
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

syke wrote:
    Who the hell are Eire?
    there is no such country as Eire!

Our constitution starts.....
    We, the people of Éire,

So are you argueing that he left out the fada over the E?
    or that there is no country Éire?

official text at:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/utilities/redirect.php?url=http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/static/256.pdf

A misconception of most people who 'Know it all'......

Article 4 The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I can't agree, I must say. Duff on the wing (his best position), Kilbane in the centre (his best performance for ireland last weekend merits this) and put the big donkey up front (you know who I'm talking about).

On a side topic, I hope my tickets arrive today in the post, won't be much use if they arrive tommorrow!
    :eek:

I agree Duff is better on the wing, but Doc just isn't an International striker. It's a pitty Macken wasn't in the squad, he's done well for his club lately.

Best of luck with the tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

irish1 wrote:
    I agree Duff is better on the wing, but Doc just isn't an International striker. It's a pitty Macken wasn't in the squad, he's done well for his club lately.

Best of luck with the tickets.
    Thanks, thing is though, Doherty has the potential to be very effective against the likes of the Faroe Islands, a bit of brute force could be required should we come up against a Lichtenstein-esque (0-0 you all rememver) performance. Don't see that happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

irish1 wrote:
    Good Point, but I just think that if we start with Doc we will end up lobbing the ball forward every time.

This will almost certainly happen if as expected Doc starts. I would like to see an attacking side if Reid is fit maybe

Given
    Carr
    Cunningham----O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Finnan
    Keane
    Kilbane----
    Reid
    Duff

Keane

With this formation Ireland can get the ball down and play it around rather than punt it forward to Doc. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hopefully it should be a good game and hopefully the crowd will get noisy. Have my tickets in my wallet here so all is well just aboot to head out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

If Reid is fit, i would play him on the right as Finnan just isnt attacking enough to get past his man. Dont get me wrong, he played well in paris but i still dont rate him in an attacking sense.
    Republic of Ireland squad: Given (Newcastle United), Kenny (Sheffield United) Colgan (Barnsley).

Carr (Newcastle United), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Maybury (Hearts), Dunne (Manchester City), Breen (Sunderland), O'Shea (Manchester United), Finnan (Liverpool),

Reid (Nottingham Forest) Holland (Charlton Athletic), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Kilbane (Everton), Miller (Manchester United) Kavanagh (Cardiff) Quinn (Sheffield United) Barrett (Coventry City) Duff (Chelsea),

Doherty (Norwich City), Lee (Cardiff City), Morrison (Birmingham City), Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur).

Given,
    Carr, Cunningham, O'Brien, O'Shea,
    XXXXX, Keane, Kilbane, Duff,
    Keane, XXXXX.

The only two places to be decided:
    Right wing : Reid (if fit) or Miller
    Up Front : Doherty is really the only one there.

The faroes are probably used to playing big bundling players with little skill - they did get a draw against scotland after all. Best bet is to play someone with some skill up there and not to lump high balls at them. If reid can get fit, then him up front. If not, move duff up there, stick kilbane on the left and bring in kavanagh into central midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

_______________Given________________

Finnan____Keane______Kilbane_____Duff

__________Reid_______Keane___________

As it were. They said Reid is looking doubtful but I reckon he'll play.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Even Doherty would score against the Faroes; sure if we are just going for height then maybe we should put Given up front and give Paddy Kenny a go in goals ;) Dare I mention him, even Connolly could get a couple. Thats how bad I think the Faroes are.

My tickets just came, I'll be there tonight to see Ireland win 4-0 :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yom 1 wrote:

Given
    Carr
    Cunningham----O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Finnan
    Keane
    Kilbane----
    Reid
    Duff

Keane

i would love to see that side put out tonight except i would go with the 4-4-1-1 approach.

• Advertisement

Playing Doc up front will result in a bit of variety in our attacks. With Duff and Reid (possibly) out wide we possess to excellent crossers. Who is going to get on the end of these? Robbie?

This isnt the Ireland of old where we will just resort to hoofing. Playing all our flair players but no work horse up front will result in us trying to pass the ball into the net, or scoring long shots. Thats not the easiest thing to do when faced with 11 men behind the ball.

Doc has done damage at this level before, I hope he starts to mix it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

are none of the irish channels showing the match tonight??

I can't find it on the listings of RTE1, Network 2 or TV3 :(((

sucks that I won't be able to watch ireland play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's on RTE 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Memnoch wrote:
    are none of the irish channels showing the match tonight??

I can't find it on the listings of RTE1, Network 2 or TV3 :(((

sucks that I won't be able to watch ireland play.

RTE 2 are showing it as are Sky.

The Paddy Power site is always good for checking out which station are showing which matches.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

ah cool thanks, for some reason i didn't find it on entertainment.ie
    oh well I'm just glad that i'll get to watch the match!

go ireland!!

lots of goals pls!!!

gg no re thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Boro wrote:
    If Reid is fit, i would play him on the right as Finnan just isnt attacking enough to get past his man. Dont get me wrong, he played well in paris but i still dont rate him in an attacking sense.

Given,
    Carr, Cunningham, O'Brien, O'Shea,
    XXXXX, Keane, Kilbane, Duff,
    Keane, XXXXX.

The only two places to be decided:
    Right wing : Reid (if fit) or Miller
    Up Front : Doherty is really the only one there.
    Thats definitely what I'd go for. Doc will most likely score if he starts (he has a ratio of 1 in 2 competitives up front AFAIK), he'll also bring the best out of Keane. Reid has played well on the right. I don't think Finnan will be dropped and Doc will stay on the bench.

Lads, I wouldn't believe a word Kerr says about a player being injured whether we're playing Brazil or Bangladesh? Remember he said Duffer was 50-50 to play against the Swiss and when Duff was asked about it he said he was perfect and it was only rumours (even though we all heard Kerr say it). Reid was on Newstalk at about 9.30 on Monday night (the day he was supposed to get injured) and he never mentioned it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bit OT, but what's become of Steven Reid?

Im guessing he is injured (again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I don't know what happened to Steven Reid, he certainly looked like a good prospect. He's probably realised he's not actually Irish or something, or perhaps he isn't playing well for his club.

• Advertisement

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~575374,00.html?ptvParm=
    The unfortunate Steven Reid has suffered three serious injuries since joining Rovers in July 2003. Most recently, he broke a bone in his foot and has spent two months recovering.

{edit} dug up some more info

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~575808,00.html

Apparently he came through the 90 minutes and had a decent game

LOL on a side note, Syke gave me a neg rep for using Éire, sad very sad.

In relation to Andy Reid he sat out yesterdays training session, so I'd reckon he is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

What about Barret up front ? (yes I know he plays in midfield for Coventry) but he has always played well for Ireland and is a good enough striker to score goals .

I would like to see Kavanagh replace Keane in the centre aswell .
    I predict a 4-0 score line .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

yom 1 wrote:
    This will almost certainly happen if as expected Doc starts. I would like to see an attacking side if Reid is fit maybe

Given
    Carr
    Cunningham----O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Finnan
    Keane
    Kilbane----
    Reid
    Duff

Keane

With this formation Ireland can get the ball down and play it around rather than punt it forward to Doc. ;)

I like it Yom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

irish1 wrote:
    LOL on a side note, Syke gave me a neg rep for using Éire, sad very sad.

Ah sure thats nothing he's forever giving me neg rep and warnings. I just ignore him :D

The last I heard of Andy Reids was that he had a 60/40 chance of playing but that was yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In all fairness, Alan lee deserves a chance. He is big, physical and would be brilliant with keane up front with duff and reid playing behind them.

• Advertisement

Reid starts in place of Morrison, I just hope we dont try and walk it into the net.

If we get an early goal to take the pressure off us I can see the class showing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I just hope we dont try and walk it into the net.

The French did and they still ended up scoring twice .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

11 Corners.
    2 Goals.
    20% Effort.

Bah. Need to be more clinical.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

lets be honest, at this point we should be AT LEAST 4-5 goals up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

A result in the end, really should have scored alot more against a very poor side

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i should have really watched the northern ireland match.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What a week for Liechtenstein!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

3 points in the bag. We could/should have scored more. Hopefully we dont end up losing out on goal difference , If we do I will look on tonight as a wasted oppertunity to get a couple of more in the for column,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

i should have really watched the northern ireland match.....

Cracking climax to that one!

Mike.

ps why is the picture from Norn Iron games so bad when at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well at least we won but we lack a real killer instinct. We should have bagged at least the same amount of goals like the swiss.

I think that some of the forward players were hindered also by the fact Robbie was on a hat-trick and were trying to get the ball to him when they should have had a go themselves. It was also a mistake to play Millar, he looked ring rusty and really didn't make an impact. Finnan and Kilbane again played very well and the defense was solid. I even hate to admit this but O'Brien and Cunningham are forming a very good partnership.

Ah well at least they got the result :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh great end to the NI match. The last 10 minutes were more entertaining than the whole 2nd half of the Ireland vs Faroe match. Was delighted they drew it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Was at the game, was the best atmosphere ive experienced in ages at lansdowne road. Even the faroes no. 2 got a good cheering everytime he did something - think it gave him confidence as he was their best player!

I was on the south end, so at least i had the exciting half in front of me. The 2nd half was fairly boring tbh - if robbie had been taken off at half time i reckon we would have scored a load more. It seemed like he started reverting to his flicks and dummies, trying to get man of the match. Also as has been said, it looked like people wanted to play him in for the hattrick rather than choosing the (often) better option.

The mentality of the team seemed wrong though, it was like they just had to get a win rather than try to score as many goals as possible. Too often the crosses and corners were cut out at the first man, with only a couple of irish players in the box, just waiting for it to drop on a plate for them.

Still a win is a win i suppose. Roll on Israel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

What a week for Liechtenstein!

biggest shock of the week is liechtenstein drawing 2-2 with portugal

runner-up for me has to be one of Europe's high seeded teams losing 7-1 against anyone...that being the portugal backlash -v- russia tonight

...though not as bad as a a 9-0 defeat for austria -v- spain in a qualifier a few years back.

also, anodorra beat macedonia..even holland couldn't do that at the weekend!

not gonna talk about the irish game, 3 points, job done i guess.

Robbie should have at least finished one of those one on ones, the second half was very poor. However we got 3 points and sit top of the table over the long break, so we can only be happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement