Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing Clicksilver Issue ... just stops working??

• 13-10-2004 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

I'm on UTV Clicksilver's 3 month free trial (adsl in the Waterford City area) and for some reason, it regularly just stops.

I'm browsing the internet, and all of a sudden ... nothing ... it has not dropped the connection (the connection lights stay on) and it's not just my PC because there are 3 in the house and it affects them too.

I have had Eircom out to my house and still no joy.

UTV Tech Support are supportive but baffled ...

Anyone else with the same problem or any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Have a look through the UTV support newsgroup (news.utvinternet.ie), there should be a thread or two about it in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How long to the pauses last?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 waterfordlad02

Hey Mike,

I usually end up giving up ... but easly 10 - 20 minutes or more ... are these pauses a common thing?

cheers, W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,m with clciksilver for a year now and from time to time I drop the connection. I'm using a router and the drop usually happens when I am not usurfing the internet but it occasionally happens when I am surfing. I just reset the hub and its fine again..This happens 3 to 4 times a week in total. I never bothered looking into it. I,m in North Dublin BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey Mike,

I usually end up giving up ... but easly 10 - 20 minutes or more ... are these pauses a common thing?

cheers, W

I was thinking in terms of 10-20 seconds not mins! Not I've never heard of this problem before.

I guess UTV support has tried everything in terms of your modems set up and shown that its working correctly. You may have a ****ty line. Did eircoms engineers report back to you?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

I was also thinking about 10-20 seconds. If you disconnect and redial when it goes down does anything go through?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

PcP wrote:
    I was also thinking about 10-20 seconds. If you disconnect and redial when it goes down does anything go through?

Does anyone know if any progress has been made with the 10-20 seconds pause? There has been no mention of it in the newsgroup lately. I find that I am still from time to time getting a message that webpage cannot be found and when I refresh it loads no problem. I have tried a second router and it has also happened on this so it would seem to be a Clicksilver problem.

Eircom said the line was perfect, I am using a router (the one utv provided) not the usb modem as I'm sharing the connection.

I know it's not the fact I'm sharing it because it still happens when I'm hooked up directly.

It's definately more than the 20 second pause, logging off / back on / re-booting router etc does not help at all.

I'm thinking of crossing over to digiweb wireless ... anyone ever tried it before, (no one has replied to my other post :-(

Thanks for your help guys !

Eircom said the line was perfect, I am using a router (the one utv provided) not the usb modem as I'm sharing the connection.

I know it's not the fact I'm sharing it because it still happens when I'm hooked up directly.

It's definately more than the 20 second pause, logging off / back on / re-booting router etc does not help at all.

I'm thinking of crossing over to digiweb wireless ... anyone ever tried it before, (no one has replied to my other post :-(

Thanks for your help guys !

If it was a common issue then it would definitely have been reported in the support newsgroup by now (as has the '20 sec pause' problem).

Is there any possibility that you could borrow another modem/router and see if that might make any difference? Do you have anything else on the line that might be in some freak way interfering (cordless phone, sky box or anything) I had terrible trouble with line a few years ago as a result of a sky box once installation as soon as I disconnected the telephone line from it - it that cured things)

I have a chepo Argos cordless, I will try disconnecting that and see how it goes! Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im having the exact same issue however mine lasts a good couple of hours. Iv tried contacting UTV Support but via there telephone number I wait for ages and nobody ever answers (just get that seriously annoying person saying to wait, and that annoying song in the background :P) and if I email for support - that gets ignored also. I have had no time to follow up on it, but I do plan to.

Its really annoying me, as we use UTV Clicksilver for Business & Personal use.

Im living in Tramore btw.

- Sully

Sully04 wrote:
    Im having the exact same issue however mine lasts a good couple of hours. Iv tried contacting UTV Support but via there telephone number I wait for ages and nobody ever answers (just get that seriously annoying person saying to wait, and that annoying song in the background :P) and if I email for support - that gets ignored also. I have had no time to follow up on it, but I do plan to.

Its really annoying me, as we use UTV Clicksilver for Business & Personal use.

Im living in Tramore btw.

- Sully

I am sure if you post to the utv support group you will get some response - Carl is contributing there again and he is always very speedy to follow up issues - if you cannot access the support group then try emailing Carl@u.tv with details.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dub45 wrote:
    I am sure if you post to the utv support group you will get some response - Carl is contributing there again and he is always very speedy to follow up issues - if you cannot access the support group then try emailing Carl@u.tv with details.

Whats the UTV Support Group and who exactly is Carl?

- Sully

Sully04 wrote:
    Whats the UTV Support Group and who exactly is Carl?

- Sully

I see that you have posted to the group anyways - I hope that it results in some action for you - Carl is one of UTV's teccy guys and he is very good and very fast to follow up on customer problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 optikus-prime

i just received a mail from Utv regarding their network & Zyxel modems

Dear Customer,

Recently implemented equipment changes and upgrades in the broadband core
    network have caused some issues with the operation of a small quantity of
    Zyxel modems that UTV Internet has supplied for the Clicksilver service.
    The effect of the upgrades has caused some customers to get error 31 or
    error 629 messages when they try to connect.

The error only affects certain models of ADSL modems supplied by UTV
    Internet - specifically the P630-c1 USB Modem (P600 series modem,
    coloured black). Ethernet modems are unaffected.

These changes will be implemented progressively throughout the network and
    therefore to avoid possible disruption to your broadband service, please
    complete the below proposed solution as soon as possible. The changes
    required will only take a few moments to complete and involve an
    amendment to the windows dial up settings.

A step by step guide to the process is detailed at the following URL:

http://www.utvclicksilver.com/faqans.asp?id=16

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we thank you for
    your continued custom.

Kind Regards,
    UTV Internet Support Team

Opt.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Yes Carl at UTV is a great guy, my Broadband was off for two weeks, but he always answered my e-mails very quickly and tried his best. He posted the details about the fix for the Zyxel modem to me by e-mail yesterday and it's fdone the trick!!

So UTV tech support get huge kudos from me as a result of this. How often do say that in today's world?

Well done Carl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i have a similar thing with iol bb. connection just drops for some reason. weird thing is sometimes bit torrent keeps uploading stuff. download stop altogether, but sometimes i can still upload.

no web pages, no mail or anything,. weird. just on one machine tho. gonna re-install soon but can't be arsed right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

This happened to me on IOLBB last night.

I could: Ping sites, download, talk on Skype.

I couldn't: Go to any web sites, use MSN.

ODD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

That sounds suspiciously like a dns outage, lex.

Try adding one or two other isp's servers to your connection properties/router/however you've got your connection set up.

I use 194.145.128.1 (esat) and 212.78.66.157 (via.net, a company in the uk) for my dns, as IOL/Esat seem to have intermittent problems with their own server. You can add them in the advanced section of the TCP/IP options of your connection.

Had the problem today - internet went at 1:30AM and never returned until 6:50PM. No answer from UTV Support, just emailed Carl about it.

- Sully

• Advertisement
Advertisement