Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB

Options
  • 13-10-2004 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

i know this sounds silly but that new ad with the mafia guy has really got my attention.

ive been thinking about switching from Allied Irish Fascists for a while now

does anyone here bank with TSB what are they like for ...

customer service?

phone/internet banking?

loans?

credit card?

cheers :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

My wife moved her current account to PTSB about a year ago as she got fed up with the quarterly bills from AIB. Since we've our mortgage with PTSB, she's getting free banking from them and has found them excellent. They have all the services you'd expect from a current account, including the all important internet banking site.

It seems as well that from Feb of next year, your current bank will have to automatically transfer your direct debits/standing orders to your new bank for you, which will remove a huge headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

In response to your questions on tsb, i used to do all my banking with them for as long as i can remember, but when they merged with irish permanent things went very bad , they dont seem to care about the little guy anymore, their phone / internet banking is not good, their credit card is banked rolled by MBNA , not good either, i dont know about their loans, i think BOI is the way to go , they welcomed my with open arms, on opening my account with them , i immediatly go a big overdraft facility, i had my credit cards 3 weeks later, as regards ptsb's advertising campaign, i think it reflects very well on their strong arm mafiosa tactics, i think they scored an own goal.....but thats just my opinion, for what its worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i find ptsb great, free banking when +1000, + no complaints about the customer service
    as regards ptsb's advertising campaign, i think it reflects very well on their strong arm mafiosa tactics, i think they scored an own goal.....but thats just my opinion, for what its worth

your joking right BANZAI_RUNNER? :rolleyes:

+ your complains about ptsb are very vague, try and contrast the service you recieve with boi to ptsb

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

With TSB since my first bank account when I was about 7.

They do free student banking which is good, but no grace period for graduates.
    Phone/Internet banking is pretty basic.
    Can't check your credit card balance online, have to ring them up during work hours,
    and call your credit card details out loud over the phone, great for when you're sharing an office with many people.
    Credit card limit is generous, gave me €1,000 credit limit even though I said I was a student earning €6,000 a year. Probably thought "when you're crippled by debt, we'll start making it".

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

I've banked with both BoI and TSB for years. Get the best of service from TSB and have moved all but one account to them recently. No problems with getting loans or overdraft facilities and they were a great help when I set up my own business a few months ago.

I'd definitely recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

I moved from PTSB after they merged due to hassle with banking wage cheques (went from immediately to 5 days!) and thats was the main reason as BOI clear most chqs within 2 days tops. Also found that service issues were getting quite bad with PTSB and they didnt seem to bothered, having said that I gather things have improved big time after the transition and as find BOI amazingly expensive on acc fees reckon will move back if that thing goes ahead with DD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

l3rian wrote:
    i find ptsb great, free banking when +1000, + no complaints about the customer service
    NIB are the only bank in the country to offer free banking once you remain in credit. Check out their Freebank account for more details. Great internet/phone banking facilities, including ability to set up & manage your own standing orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not true, the Permeant TSB do it as well if you have a grand in your current account. I spend about 20 euro per quarter on charges so I've saving 80 a year which is'nt alot but better than nothing.

http://www.permanenttsb.ie/personal_banking/free_banking.asp

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

That's why I said 'once you remain in credit' - that is the only condition for NIB - to remain in credit. PTSB requirement to keep a grand in your current account is fairly crippling. This grand would earn you €20-€30 a year if you stick it on deposit. NIB has no minimum balance requirement - just to remain in credit. So you can save on charges and keep your spare cash earning something for you in a deposit account as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

fair enough! 1000 euro = 20 euro interest! God its no fun for savers.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

just wondering with PTSB if your motgage is with them am I right in thinking that qualifys for free banking or do you need to have 1k in current account as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Hi
    I was talking to the visa dept yesterday,and they say that we will be able
    to check our visa a/c online from next month!
    There should be an announcement in the next bill she said.
    I have a cash extra a/c which is very basic.I can have DD's and deps.no fees for counter or atm transactions.no ck book but no prob w/ that.cost a little over 3 euro a qrter.no mim bal needed.so is good for you if u dont really need cks.Full use of open 24 aswell(online srvce)no fees to transfer to visa or other linked a/c.People in branch are lovely.Bad thing is the 5 WORKING days to clear any depoisted cks.But all in all not a bad a/c as far as they go.

I was talking to the visa dept yesterday,and they say that we will be able
    to check our visa a/c online from next month!
    There should be an announcement in the next bill she said.

They've been saying that to me every time I've asked for the past 2 years.

Though they are introducing a whole new range of credit cards that are smartchip based instead of swipe card based next month, so they might be FINALLY telling the truth this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

You are dead right they have been telling me for the past 2 yrs that they were 'working on it'
    But this is the first time they actualy said next month!!!
    Lets hope thay are really doing it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Stark wrote:
    They've been saying that to me every time I've asked for the past 2 years.

my visa is checkable online now

ah, just checked Open24, and it's there now, FINALLY :)

Pity it comes just as I can no longer afford to buy anything with my credit card :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

samo wrote:
    just wondering with PTSB if your motgage is with them am I right in thinking that qualifys for free banking or do you need to have 1k in current account as well?
    If you have a mortgage with PTSB of > 100k (I think) then you get free banking, no matter whether your account is in credit or not.

Advertisement