Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The things kids have to watch today...

• 01-02-2001 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Think about it though i our days we grew up with the classic good V evil cartoons. With proper tough *******s like He-man. In a never ending battle against Skeletor, The Transformers(Robots in disguise), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,She-ra(yes her too),Mighty mouse,Danger mouse,Ulysses, and so many more to boot.

But look at what kids growing up today are regarding as heros and idols,from ****ing Ash from pokemen all the way to the telly fatb@st@rds.

I shudder to think of what deranged psychos will emerge from these twisted images of heroism, bravery, and good.

Oh He-Man why hath thou forsaken us?!?

anmatcat.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Actually I was at home "sick" today, and I was watching this cracker computer animated cartoon, the stroy was relativaly intresting, the animation was cracker. Cant remember the name of it.... Was on Den 2 around 5.30

X-Steel or something like that I think it was.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

I see a CG animation show of starship troppers on tv these days it ****in brilliant.But its on in the mornings at some time.

sidepat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

WOW!!
    finally, man that starship troopers is ****ing great!
    somehow its always on when i wake up early after being out drinking.
    It is very good though.
    Jesus, that reminds me, i saw this other computer generated cartoon...
    Space something, oh no.. Planet Wars...
    i mean, there was SERIOUS sexual inuendos..
    i'm not talking about stupid disney "the cloud in the background looks like a dick upside down" inuendos.
    I watched it once, and this little horrible toad alien was talking to this bit long foxy humanoid alien, and he was talking about taking her on his spaceship, and his exact words were "Heeey, fancy a ride?? he he he... know what i mean baby?" and then he start making shagging movements with his hips, and then the foxy alien says "no way..." or something...
    I suppose you'd have to see it, but jaysus, i'm not making it up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Think I might know what you're talking about - the late-night yoke that used to be on C4 before Bits and suchlike? Shockin' stuff did be contained in those cartoons/CG animations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I loved 'My Little Ponnies', but one thing always worried me. You know the way other cartoons would have good triumphing over evil. Yea ? Well this was not the case for 'My Little Ponnies', I mean they always got beaten up by the evil ponnies...always. Or maybe by some freak accident, they'd win an episode.

Like that lovely house on the green mountain was never left alone, never I tell you.
    I'm sure it has mentally scared me, leaving me with a bleak outlook on life frown.gif
    That said though, I always watched it on TCC years ago. Classic

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

botmaster is what that one was called

He-Man
    She-Ra
    Transformers
    Thundercats
    Robotech
    Care Bears
    M.A.S.K.
    Gi.Joe
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Go-Bots
    X-men
    Spiderman/iceman/firegirl
    Spiderman (one with CG)
    (most marvel cartoons)
    Batman (the newer one)

(there was another where the humans had to pilot the robots [they had personalties too] but i cant remember the name, i thnk it was cybots or sumthin like that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

u forgot Jason and the wheeled warriors

I Live (in a dream world)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I still have She-Ra bedcovers and I use 'em all the time. man, she was a good-doing superbeeotch. smile.gif was she He-Man's sister? Cos it seems like there was a bit of an incestuous taste to that thing.... smile.gif

anyone remember Bravestar?? "Strength of a bear..speed of a puma.." etc. it used to make me feel weird, as did Transformers. (shudder) but I watched them anyway.

anyone remember the theme tune to My Little Pony? people on my road adapted it to be ..."My Little Pony, skinny and boney..." just to upset me, as i was a giant fan. now i feel puzzled as to why it upset me...I had Carebears wallpaper, too, for a period. Man, i regretted that one. Remember Around the World in 80 Days - some lion going around in a hot air balloon? And let's not forget Dog Tanyon.

Just think about the weirdos that our cartoons produced in this generation?? smile.gif

Anyone ever see Queerduck? it's about a gay duck and his camp friends. truly hilarious. smile.gif (not for kids by the way.)

Do your limbs ever get tingly, eh? eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Two brill programmes/cartoons from way back when were:
    Count Ducula (flying through the night looking for a bite) god that cartoon was 133t nothing can match the raw carnigate dished out by NANNY!!!!!!

Anyone remember Around the Bend with the big mother of a crocidile. Was talking to bunch of m8's about it 2day only 1 other could remember it *hint* for anyone who can't think of it .... remember the sheep,the underpants and FatMan.

God TV was great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Dont forget the battletech cartoon, and remember the one with ZZ and his bots, whats the name?Actually TCC was much better than nicklodeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GREENHELL:
    nothing can match the raw carnigate dished out by NANNY</font>

heheheheee biggrin.gif
    Count Ducula was great! The finest of saturday morn cartoons.

I remember Bravestar aswell, he was another proper Hardman, nevermind those stupid poke balls as weapons, this guy carried GUNS!!!

We're not forgetting Iron Man are we? I mean this guy blatently flew into outer space kicked the living shít out of some asteroids that were threatening life as we know it, saves the day, and returns home as the hero.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> God TV was great.</font>

We truely grew up in the golden age of cartoons..... *sigh* frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

TG4 are showing Voltron : the 3rd dimension during the week, quite funny to see it dubbed into irish.

"na fianna bvholtrón!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I just got a sudden flashback to Fraggle Rock {!}

Variations of the theme tune spring to mind...
    "down at Fraggle rock, grab a fraggle by the c0ck, swing him in the air..." etcetera biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

remember Top Cat smile.gif
    was milk ever so kewl.

found a kewl link for any count ducula fans smile.gifhttp://www.jvsplace.co.uk/tv/Count_Ducula.wav

"down at Fraggle rock, grab a fraggle by the c0ck, swing him in the air..." and crack his head off a rock!

hehhehe smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

OOOOO Ducky!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Does anyone remember Starcom?

Now that was cool. Ring Raiders too, although that was early 90's

There was the ghostbusters, not the extreme ones, but the real ones, and Action Force (i have the movie on video at home biggrin.gif )

Ah really was a golden time. We were privilaged i guess.

Finally......
    80's gallery of cartoons from the 80's. actually if you put "cartoons" and "80's" in the search engine on yahoo you get a great deal of info smile.gif

I need to think of a good signature.......

I had the big white Starcom Battle ship, plus, um the smaller fighter one and an enemy fighter aswell and another enemy fighter that had forward facing wings and a little apc thing that folded into my big white battleship and magnets all over the place biggrin.gif classic

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Woa, just had loads of flash backs to waking up every saturday morning at 8am as a 6 year old to watch cartoons (most of em listed above wink.gif )

But, nobodys mentioned the turtles properly yet? or am i the only one whos young enough to have watched em? wink.gif

UP DA DUBS!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by richindub2 (edited 07-02-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

does anyone remember the sky one

"Hour Of Power"

every saturday morning from 6am, it had Dungeons and dragons and Bravestar and loads of other great cartoons that were simply so good that i would gladly miss college nowadays if they were still on :-)

Wyv....

Im Going to Thrash you to within an Inch of your Life.....................
    AND THEN TAKE THAT INCH!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Barney the frickin' Dinosaur threatened me with a lawsuit. Well... his solicitors did. I shít you not!

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Barney the frickin' Dinosaur threatened me with a lawsuit. Well... his solicitors did. I shít you not!</font>
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Draco:Why?</font>

It was over a nasty web site I wrote about him about 5 years ago and forgot to take down. It's down now wink.gif !

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 08-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

ah those where the days.......and not only did you have them cartoons but you have Airwolf, the A-team, knight rider, and other such stuff like that. now all you have at mid day are crapy things, but night time tv is much better now than back then, we have great things like BUFFY, star gate SG-1, Dark angle, Angle, Farscape, er any more?

but i do remember around the bend, very funny with all the mock puppets (it was the kids spiting image) and brave star as well, anyone remember a cartoon with the phatom in it, and there where loads of other guys too, they all had kick ass ships, one of which had a long blade on the frunt that would cut through ships. cant remember what it was called (or much about it) but i had the above ship.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

[This message has been edited by sutty (edited 08-02-2001).]

sorry forgot to say that the CG cartoon that some of you where talking about is called "shadow wars" any one remember Reboot from a few years ago? that was cool

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

never let it be said that u have too much free time sutty, toooooo much free time.

I'm a bicycle!!

In all seriousness....the greatest place on earth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

any1 remember defenders of the earth they rocked.....or that sky 1 cartoon phantom 2000 or somethin like that it was a futuristic thingy with the phantom from defenders of the earth....pretty damn kewl..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

tc2.gif

remember the thundercats? quite mediocre really but it had a kick ass theme tune.

splash.jpg

the gummi bears theme tune has to be in the nobility class of 80s cartoon's theme tunes

maskmovie.jpg
    now if this movie were to be made i would be so there.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by richindub2:
    waking up every saturday morning at 8a</font>

Pansy! I was up at 6am! biggrin.gif Classic

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Forgetting "cchh-cchh-chip and dale, rescue rangers" with the cool fat mouse whose tache went perfectly straight around "chee-ee-eezz"
    Police Academy, the series ("who yeah")

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by black_wizardd:
    any1 remember defenders of the earth they rocked.....or that sky 1 cartoon phantom 2000 or somethin like that it was a futuristic thingy with the phantom from defenders of the earth....pretty damn kewl..</font>

I think that was the one i was talking about....cool thanks....when i get home and get me some sleep i'll do a search for it.....thanks black_wizardd

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

omg..... do a search for defenders of the earth on google.com and go to the second site......that is so the one i was talking about......ahhh the flash backs smile.gif the joy... get the theme music for it...its so cool

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

What ever happened to Battle of the Planets? ahh the good ol days.Or that Ulysses manga type thingy?

dyin ain't much of a livin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Bring back He-Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

If theres anyone who watched the most cartoons on weekend mornings it's me.
    I watched everything regardless of aimed gender or whatever because it was all interesting because there was always goodies against baddies. Jag named a few there MASK He-Man being two of the more classics.
    I have been MAD to see them all back to WH0000p nowadays **** off the air.
    The best 3 in my opinion were Jayce and the wheeled warriors every morning on DJ-Kat
    then Ulysses the first Science fiction cartoon from a group of french/japanese people and then another cartoon brought out a year after by the same group called the Mysterious Cities of Gold which is imho a true classic.
    But lets not forget Cops the one with all the different skilled cops one with a mechanical arm that could shoot out and the guy with a robotic dog Bowser and Blitz i believe they were known as and many more.

Then there was also Denver the last Dinosaur,Gummy Bears,The Raccoons,The Chipmunks,Beverly Hills Teens,Jem,Pole Position,Go-Bots,BraveStarr,Smurfs,Captain Planet,Dino Riders and a few more.

They were all good fun but i think the top three and COPS gave the 80's weekend cartoon child a better story because they were just more thought out. And the ideas with MASK were revolutionary with each character having a different mask that could do kewl stuff like lift things or repair or whatever.

If anyone wants a theme tune from a cartoon email me cuz i have LOADS of them and they REALLY bring back good memories they are worth asking for if you are in the mood for reminising. Gimme a shout wink.gif L8erZ

Email:spiral@netshop.ie

Quothe the Raven, "Nevermore".
    JennyRooba! ;D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Q_Ball:
    Ring Raiders too, although that was early 90's</font>

Is it just me or is that not the most suspect sounding name for a cartoon ever???

Anyway...
    Fox Kids on Sky Digital - it's showing Ulyses 31 and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors - class!

Battle of the Planets is shown on Bravo every day. There was another in that series called Eagle Warriors too - that's also on one of the channels - either Bravo or Fox Kids.

Also - I was rummaging around the house last week and I found all my old M.A.S.K. toys!!! Jesus - I had loads smile.gif I collected Venom and the brother got the MASK ones.
    Also - we used to have loads of the Starcom stuff too!

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 12-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    Is it just me or is that not the most suspect sounding name for a cartoon ever???
    </font>

Ah it was only on for a while but remember the toys, little fighter planes that were attached to a ring and in the cartoon they all had their own rings that started up their planes? Ah god bless TCC

Yeah i remember Around the bend, with the croc and all the little...things...but m y favourite show from the eighties (and i still love'em) was THE MUPPETS

btw, Transformers - The Movie is due to be released on DVD on March 19th over here biggrin.gif wh0000000000000000000000000000000t

I need to think of a good signature.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

This site has realplayer movies of some of the intro's as well as classic clips from the shows.

Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds. OMG!! What a classic!!
    http://www.80snostalgia.com/classictv/index.html

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

EVIL! EVIL! EVIL!

I had to undergo psychiatric treatment for the damage all those 80's cartoons did to me.Do any of you remember how crap those programs were, with a few exceptions.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg nooooooooo the memories are all coming back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Is it just me or is everyone forgetting probably the best of the lot?

INSPECTOR GADGET!

Never mind the useless attempt they made at a film. afaik there is a dodgy dubbed version on TG4 smile.gif

Redesigned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

Watched the Tweenies the other day while hung-over...oh my god thats a dreadful show frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Whats this? a cartoon board with no mention of the coolest cartoon in the world ever with the catchiest theme tune????

DIPLODOS!!!

two school kids, peter and joooan.....went out *somethingsomethin* oon their ooownnn, they saw a double vision*somethingsomethin*with evil at its worst*ummmsomething*them diplodoooos, come to saaave the earth!!! ohohoh ohhho oh, *groovy sound effects* de-de-de-de-diplodooOoOos.

Ill, umm get me coat, bye biggrin.gif

HAH, i remember that frickin dinosaur thing aswell.
    I recall one episode in particular, where all the statues in the museums came alive.
    Those dinosaurs had a space ship aswell didnt they?
    Twas great really......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

for alls yalls information, Inspector Gadget is on every weekday morning at 6:55 and its not the dumb Irish version! that cartoon was absolutely perfect in every way.

but do you guys ever wonder why nostalgia is so big these days?

"I collect spores, moulds and fungus."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

DIPLODOS!!!
    OMFG!!!

I totally forgot about those cute little guys wink.gif

Played Snaga.

What about...
    Batfink!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

Batfink omg that was cool.....anyone remember that d!ck tracy cartoon with Jo jet su!!!! "soo sorry" biggrin.gif ah the day's or very early moring if you want to put it right.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

does anyone remember Visionaries? the dudes in it had holograms or something so mymate says and they could turn into animals i think?
    and what about the cartoon where there were 3 guys who had special suits, 1 could go under water, another over land and the last fly through the air. i cannae remember it and its driving me mad confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

ye I remember that and I remember it being better than transformers

It was only on for a short time though.
    Christ I'd love to see the first episode of it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

does anyone remember Visionaries? the dudes in it had holograms or something so mymate says and they could turn into animals i think?
    and what about the cartoon where there were 3 guys who had special suits, 1 could go under water, another over land and the last fly through the air. i cannae remember it and its driving me mad confused.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement