Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stats for you stat monkeys

• 13-10-2004 1:45pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

looking at www.boards.ie/webalizer I just noticed we broke 5Million pages served last month even with all the distruption and its heading towards 6 Million this month.

If we jump 1 million page impression in a month I'm going to WET myself with fear.

New users are joining at about 50 a day or so now and "Most users ever online was 745, 07-10-2004 at 13:54."

Threads and posts are up a bit which means we are seeing a fair number of lurkers coming on board, which is kinda what I expected.

Techno Stat monkeys will have to ask Regi for load averages and that sort of thing. I know our loads have been sky high for a while though the new server is sorting a lot of that out now.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DeVore wrote:
    If we jump 1 million page impression in a month I'm going to WET myself with fear

I'd like to see that!
    lets make it so fellow Boardsie people!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

50 a day!

Holy moly!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

/me loads up page readloder..
    so boards only does out about 300megs of data a month?
    thought it was way more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

DeVore wrote:
    New users are joining at about 50 a day or so

And that's only Bubbles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

fap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

50 a day...

That's 1500 new users per month. If that rate stays level (which it won't, it can only grow), it will take at most 18 months to double boards.ie's current userbase.

Hold me amp, I'm scared.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think you'll find I wrote a journal about how long it will take to blow our lovely new server out of the water and what we have to do before then to make the next leap.
    Things are getting serious now, the numbers are just going loopy...

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

REgi just reminded me that at the moment Webalizer is only processing the web stats from wang.boards.ie, not pie. So as the days go on it will diverge negatively from the true picture. Thats even more scarey.

Lenny, if only we doled out only 300 Mb a month.

Estimates this month are that we will shift over a terrabyte of data. (and then people whinge when I start thinking about volume/size issues of the future....)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

wang? pie? Where did you get this naming convention lads? :)

wang? pie? Where did you get this naming convention lads? :)
    Well pie was decided as the new name. And obviously, the most suitable thing to plug into a pie is a wang.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:
    REgi just reminded me that at the moment Webalizer is only processing the web stats from wang.boards.ie, not pie. So as the days go on it will diverge negatively from the true picture. Thats even more scarey.
    So....if they're load sharing at the ratio of 4:1, do we take today's figure (or Thursday's figure - when did pie come online?), subtract it from the month end figure, and multiply the result by 5 to get the whole picture?

:eek:

our servers are (or were) named troll, muppet, wang and pie.

Troll and muppet for obvious reasons. Pie because, well, "we like pie" and (Regi eats all of them) and wang came from Penny Arcade, the greatest web comic of all time, future or past.

DeV.

seamus wrote:
    Hold me amp, I'm scared.

It's okay seamus, there there. Boards is scaling nicely. Now that it's clustered it'll mean it should be easier to add new servers as people pile in. Hopefully it's revenue will match user growth.

I'm not saying it'll be easy, but boards cannot die, it's just too important to too many people.

Now brush your teeth and go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

about how long it will take to blow our lovely new server out of the water

But can it play doom 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lenny wrote:
    so boards only does out about 300megs of data a month?
    Thats 343 gigabytes.

Victor wrote:
    Thats 343 gigabytes.
    I *knew* there was something off about that figure.

/me makes mental note to check column headings before making assumptions.

344GB. ****. Me.

That's about 47 minutes worth of downloading at full speed over a 1Gbit connection.

But in reality, it's an average of 489.24 Mbytes per hour over an entire month.

:eek:

Sweet jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

next server should be called amp.boards.ie, cos everyone likes pie (filled with ampness)

tbh

Advertisement