Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible bedfellows - Fianna Fail & Sinn Fein?

Options
  • 13-10-2004 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2004/1013/1866393109HM1PROVOS.html

This looks like a new strategy for FF, but do they really mean it? I don't know. It may be a political reality, but I think it may be an attemp to wrong foot the shinners.

This puts SF in a different light. They're now seen as a possible party of government by the electorate. And they will have to start talking about what they are really for rather than what they're against all the time.

Also, remember how Labour went into freefall when they went into government with FF? SF could suffer the same effect if their electorate see a partnership with FF as distasteful.

Could this be the kiss of death for SF?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmm one could take a conspiratorial view and say the best way for FF to kill SF is to invite it into government and then undermine the party at every turn.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

mike65 wrote:
    Hmmm one could take a conspiratorial view and say the best way for FF to kill SF is to invite it into government and then undermine the party at every turn.

Mike.

That may well work, Sinn Fein do have an easy time being a party of opposition.

However, its a possibility if you think about it.
    Under an agreement at Leeds Castle the IRA said they will give up 50% of weapons once the Assembly re-commences, and set up a plan to give up the rest by Christmas (or around then), they will release an un-ambiguous statement saying that the war is over, and will exist from there on as a Comrades Association (and possibly drug barons :D). Lets just say that they are to be trusted with this, and that the DUP overcome their remaining opposition to going into government, then Sinn Fein will no longer be blacklisted as a party.
    Now, if Harney screws up with Health its likely that FF will want a new buddy in office. Labour could do it, but they look like they will be with FG if anyone. The greens aren't likely either due to party differences... so SF are a plausable option. It could halt the votes going from FF to SF if they are seen to be in it together, it may improve FF's image among grassroots without having to do anything, and it could prove to everyone that SF are full of wind (or perhaps the best party in Ireland... who knows!!??).

Saying that, for now this is likely to be a trick, no party decides who they'll govern with before an election, they do it out of need. Also given that it has been the excuse of FG and FF for so many years, what are they going to do now? Say they arent going to go into gov. with SF because they disagree with beared leaders?

flogen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

It was a mistake for Dermot Ahern to say it was inevitable in the context of him being in government with the PDs who are probably as opposite to Sinn Fein as could be in irish politics. It has seen a PD reaction and Ned O'Keefe getting a headline about being open to coalition with Sinn Fein. For Sinn Fein it brings them closer to Fianna Fail at this stage than might suit their electoral strategy of getting stuck into this government in opposition. It complicates opposition when you hold out the possibility of going into government with the main party you are attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Personally I see nothing ground breaking in the statement, when Bertie said he'd never enter government with SF it was one of the most stupid remarks he could of made. The second he said it I remember thinking that the DUP will never stop quoting him, and they havn't.
    Now as the new minister for foreign affairs Dermot set things right as quick as possible.

I never believed bertie anyway, why wouldnt they if SF held the balance of power after an election, would FF ethics prevent a coalition?

Before the last election SF bashing was all the rage, but now they are being treated seriously since their success in the local elections.

The announcement also fits in nicly with FF image change, they are trying to present the image of the traditional FF, left wing republicans.
    The left wing leaning has been paraded at inchadonny (sp), the dress code, and recent policy announcements. Offering callobouration with SF spreads the republican net.

Again, I dont believe it. I viewed the resuffle as a bogus diversionary tactic. Nothing has changed. 3 new ministers, well woopady fcukin doo. One retired, one ws promoted and only one person was fired. If FF wins the next election and it has a choice between SF or PDs I'm confident that they will chose PD and we will see a government identical if not even more right wing to the present one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Dermot Ahern did not say that FF were about to politically jump into bed with Sinn Fein. He was simply doing what has been done a few times before in recent years by speculating that if SF was to complete the transition from revolutionary to constitutional politics that then SF might become an acceptable candidate for a Coalition partner in the future. I think Enda Kenny has twisted the meaning of this by appearing to say that Dermot ahern's comments indicated something imminent was about to happen. I personally despise SF but I do agree that if we are to demand Unionists sit in government with SF then in the name of consistency, our politicians should not absolutely rule them out as possible Coalition partners. Otherwise we are saying one rule for us and another for the Unionists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...but I do agree that if we are to demand Unionists sit in government with SF then in the name of consistency, our politicians should not absolutely rule them out as possible Coalition partners. Otherwise we are saying one rule for us and another for the Unionists.

My answer to that when its put is too draw a distiction between a soverign
    government and an asembly which simply would not be viable without SF inside the tent. Here SF are not necessary to create a government, there will
    almost certainly be other options.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Rezmuter Duane

I would like to draw attention to the words of Minister Hanafin following Dermot's little bombshell. She stated that "I cannot envisage a time when FF and SF would be in coalition". Also, when asked about it directly, she unequivocally replied "No".
    FF will never go into cohorts with a group that won't recognise Ireland as a soverign state!

Advertisement