Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moped insurance comments advice please

Options
  • 13-10-2004 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Ok , Being driving a car for 5 years , no claims .

Decided to get a moped again (just for D'Traffic like)
    49 cc 2001 Aprilla Italjet.
    I have a full Car drivers licence which apparently gives me class M moped cover.so basically a provisional moped licence I think (can someone clarify this).

Carole Nash : 3rd party f&t = 562 eurons
    Hibernian direct = 473 europes .

So a few questions:
    1)Are these good quotes , should I ring them back and play them off each other?

2) Do I have a full moped licence if i have a full car licence (yes i know it doesn;t sound right , but it's not clear on the oasis.gov site)?

3)If not do I have to do a written test to get a full bike licence ?

4) Can I apply online for the bike test ?

5) Can I use my own moped on the test ?

6) Seems the bike was bought in Cotters , although I bought it privatly , will AON insurance entertain me , or do I have to get finance through them to avail of insurance ?

7) also the moped splutters bad as soon as it starts raining , someone said I need to get the 'pods' or 'pots' sealed again ,prevent water intake , anyone know what this is ? is it a diy job ? how much should you pay for this ?

the issue with the licence is the main one , really want to get that sorted to try bring down insurance and make a start on the 2 year restriction for >125cc.

Thanks in advance if you can help to answer any of these questions .

cheers

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Actually , just rang Carole Nash back with the Hibs quote and they reduced theirs down to 340 euros , which is better than hibs cause they provide free breakdown cover and legal fee's for no fault accidents, far better value. top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

With prices like that, you must be an auld lad ;)

RE Licences, my understanding is ONLY a FULL B licence gives the licence holder M and W categories, that is moped up to 49cc and <=45kmph and W is a tractor. Provisional B does not include M and W
    A kid of 16 can apply for an M licence, not an A1 or A.
    If you want an A1 or A licence, you have to do theory test (if you've not already done it for car) and apply for provisional licence and later the test.

You can apply for bike driving and theory test online. With a 49cc scooter there is no test requirement. If you're even half considering a bigger bike in the future, apply for the test sooner rather than later. That way you'll get your bike licence sooner and have no restriction on your licence.
    But you don't need to.

AON don't generally insure people directly. Insurance is offered through the shops. And AON now insure with AXA. From limited anecdotal evidence, they're expensive compared to Carole Nash

Re servicing, is the scooter still under warranty? Go to Cotters. If not, go to Cotters anyhow, they're good guys and will be able to help. Pods/Pots means nothing to me. I'd expect a vehicle of any sort not to fail when it starts to rain. Sounds a bit dodgy. It's not made of paper is it???

Oh regarding A test, the vehicle you're tested on has to be over 150cc. Even though the licence is >125cc. I can only guess that's to prevent some kid turning up on a 125 and hoping to move onto a restricted 1300cc monster. But that's a very tenuous link.

HTH, HAND, YMMV, etc., etc.
    -ao-

heh nice one ,

No not an aul lad , just had my car and bike insured with hibs for about 7 yeas now, so when i phoned back up to get the hairdrier insured it was quite reasonable.

Right so I have passed the full driving test, so that means then that I HAVE a full moped licence , is this correct ?

Where is cotters ?

Balls do i have to do a theory test if I already have the driving test (didn;t take theory test for that either)

Thanks for the post a_ominous , sterling performance :)

Fionn101 wrote:
    heh nice one ,

Right so I have passed the full driving test, so that means then that I HAVE a full moped licence , is this correct ?

Yup. But to correct myself, full or provisional B licence covers M and W.
    See here Paragraph before "Adding a category of vehicle to an existing licence" (no direct link).
    But text reads
    If you hold a provisional B licence (and have never completed the driver theory test), you are entitled to have categories M or W without the need to sit the theory test. Likewise, if you hold a category A licence, you are entitled to A1 or M without needing to sit the theory test. Holders of category A1 are entitled to category M without needing to sit the theory test.

Fionn101 wrote:
    Where is cotters ?
    Try thisCotters
    You have to do _some_ work.

Fionn101 wrote:
    Balls do i have to do a theory test if I already have the driving test (didn;t take theory test for that either)
    If you've never done a theory test, you will have to do one if you're going to apply for an A1 or A licence. In your case, you don't need to for the scooter.

"Are we clear?"
    "Crystal."
    "I want the scoot"
    "You can't handle the scoot!"

sound , sound , cheers man.

I did get that web-site before (cotters) , just can;t find an address on it, hence I asked does anyone know where it is ? touche i did some work (some,not much)

i will apply eventually for a A licence, but I really HATE teh way that you have to rent a bloody 250cc piece of battered crap from Irish School of Motoring , costing 80 euro per hour just to do a poxy test. the bleeding rip off merchants.

I know the owners son (of ISM) I'll ask him to pass on a 'your a wang-ker' comment to his da.

ehh anyway , back on topic where is Cotters ??? at least mountjoy motors give you a hint as to their location, fucsors .

cheers

Fionn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fionn101 wrote:
    Actually , just rang Carole Nash back with the Hibs quote and they reduced theirs down to 340 euros , which is better than hibs cause they provide free breakdown cover and legal fee's for no fault accidents, far better value. top notch
    Yet another indication of how the insurance industry is fleecing its customers!
    Just like that they reduced it from €562 to €340 (-€222)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Cotter Motorcycles Ltd.
    Unit 50 Western Parkway Business Park
    Ballymount,
    Dublin 12, Ireland,
    Phone. +353 1 4603807 FAX. +353 1 4198799
    Email. sales@cottermc.com

Ah, just had a look at the website. It used to have the address very clearly listed. They actually had 2 websites on the go earlier this year while they moved from Kimmage to Ballymount.

To get to Cotters, coming from city centre along N7 Naas Road, take a left immediately after the Red Cow Inn / Morans Hotel. This is Turnpike Road which leads onto Ballymount Road.
    Take the 3rd left onto Ballymount Road Lower.
    Take the 2nd right into the Western Business ??? (there are 2 Western Business thingies, one Park, and cannot remember the other)

Drive up to left hand turn. There is a gateway on the right corner. Go in here and follow road around to your left. You'll see Cotters on your left.

kbannon , sorry I must have a typo , the second quote was 440 euro . still a bloody rip off, not a mention of 'have you a no claims bonus' , the lady said it was just standard pricing with mopeds. stinger

Cheers for the directions, will pop over tomorrow.

Fionn

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Fionn101 - doesn't matter - they could still knock €122 off the price which is about 25%!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

TBH if you are thinkin of possibly goin for something bigger dont bother goin for a full moped license at all. Apply for a provisional A license which you can do once your over 18, and use this to drive the moped, it will also cover you upto 33bhp. Otherwise if you get an A1 you will need to do the theory test again to get the A (as far as I know) so you could end up doubling your work for no reason.

Then if you get a bigger machine or get access to one you can simply go for the A test, once you have that you can let the 2 years tick by to get away from the power restrictions.

The test is the same not matter what size of bike you use, it's just you can't do the A test on anything less than 150cc, and you cant do the A1 test on a moped and vice versa.

Advertisement