Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playstation 3 - any rumours?

Options
  • 13-10-2004 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Did a quick search and couldn't come back with anything

In light of the slimline PS2 thread nearby, is there a PS3? I thought the summers price cut was to prepare for an Xmas rollout of PS3. Maybe not. So anyone heard anything?

I figure this thread has been done to the death already, apologies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

uberwolf wrote:

In light of the slimline PS2 thread nearby, is there a PS3? I thought the summers price cut was to prepare for an Xmas rollout of PS3. Maybe not. So anyone heard anything?

PS3 is already in manufacturing and is using the IBM power processor......well a cut down version of the ones they have in the server but will greatly enhance performance! havent heard much else!

Also thou Nintendo have the same proc in there new console!! cant remember the name of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'd say both Ninty and Sony will be plugging the new handhelds rather than the consoles atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I've seen a picture of some somepeople think is the PS3, although to tell the truth i was very sceptic that it was the PS3. I'll have a look and see if i can fond it, but i think that the site that it was on has been deleted.

Kain wrote:
    I've seen a picture of some somepeople think is the PS3, although to tell the truth i was very sceptic that it was the PS3. I'll have a look and see if i can fond it, but i think that the site that it was on has been deleted.
    Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

aparently, the games are going to be on blu-ray discs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Take your pick.

ps3.jpg

LOLZ!

I always find it funny when people do concept designs of new consoles and try to past them off as the real thing. But they always, always put a slightly reworked logo on the machine, because no console ever has completly changed their logo from scratch or anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My mother could do better rendering and photoshopping.

Theres bugger all on the PS3. It won't be using an IBM processor. Thats the new nintendo and microsoft consoles. And it will be a new risc chip and not a hand down from some other already available hardware.

If the PS3 was arriving this Christmas you would know about it. The TV would be already carpet bombed with adverts for it, a huge blanket advertising campaign and we would have at least have seen it by now at E3 and the Tokyo Games Show.

I also don't know how some one can be so excited about a new console when you don't know what games will be on it. I had to laugh at the launch of the PS2 and everybody running out to buy it. There wasn't any decent games on it. I also remember ZOE being number 1 in the charts because of a MGS2 demo and PS2 magazines running huge articles about getting the most out of your MGS2 demo. I waited until GTA3 and DMC came out since they were the only decent games on it and took a year to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

uberwolf wrote:

it is said that Sony will be revieling(sp?) ps3 in 2005, and it will be playable, the mass production will start in 2006, so here, it will probably be available in 2007, until prices come down a bit, 2008

there will be 2 versions of ps3, one will be for gamers only, and the other will be like home theater

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

you gotta love concept art :p
    sonypad.jpg

• Advertisement

LOL!, we'll have to upgrade our fingers to play that!

here's a little FAQ:

1) When will the PS3 come out?
    2) What features will it have?
    3) How much will it cost?
    4) Will PS3 play PS2 and PS1 games?
    5) What will the PS3 look like?
    6) How powerful will it be?
    7) Will PS3 games be playable online?

When will PS3 come out?
    This is hard to answer at present - although we would estimate late 2005 / early 2006. This answer is based on the fact that PS2 is still in maturity, and there are a healthy amount of new games currently coming onto the market. As far as a 2004 release goes we don't feel Sony has the want or means to implement PS3 this year, unfortunately.

What features will it have?
    This is currently mostly unknown. Rumours suggest that it will have a DVD burner and be able to record TV, but we believe Sony will leave that to the PSX - as this would drive the price up beyond the capacity of most gamers. We feel it is highly likely that PS3 will have a Hard Drive as Sony have made it clear that the future of gaming appears to be online, and this would provide memory for downloads, game saves, and improving loading times like in FFX. PS3Land believes that it is likely the PS3 will be upgradeable with add-ons, much like the PS2's network adaptor and Hard drive (only available in Japan). There has been strong evidence to suggest that there will be two versions of the PS3 available at launch – a total home entertainment and gaming system, and a ‘watered down’ version which will just play the games.

How much will it cost?
    Typically the last two generations of the PlayStation have been priced at around $300 at launch. Both have continuously decreased in price year on year into their life, its quite likely PS3 will do the same. It's not known how much it will cost but around $300 is probably a fair guess, as this is the maximum price most gamers would be willing to way.

Will PS3 play PS2 and PS1 games?
    Yes! They will! Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will feature backwards compatibility with the PS2 and PSone, ensuring continued support for older software formats in the new hardware. Article

What will PS3 look like?
    At the moment all of the pictures of PS3 on the Internet are mocks done by fans – so don’t believe anything you see quite yet. You can view most of these mocks here. What it looks like won't be known until just before launch, which will most probably be in Japan first.

How powerful will the PS3 be?
    Sony has formed a partnership with Toshiba and IBM, to make a processor called the Cell. The processor is actually a collection of smaller processors. Software packets, called “cells”, are then sent to each of the smaller processors in order to give instructions on what tasks to perform. Potentially, the processor will be able to calculate up to 1 trillion floating-point calculations per second. It has been rumoured by some that the PS3 will be up to 1000 times more powerful - however this is unlikely. The actual specs haven’t been released by Sony yet, but we shall keep you informed when they are.

Will PS3 games be playable online?
    Online prospects are looking good for the PlayStation 3. Sony has been keen to sort out online gaming and have used the PS2 as a sort of test platform with games like Socom and FF11. Developers have had their doubts, but the success of these games and the amount of players logging on has been phenomenal. Although it’s not definite, Sony believe it to be the way forward so it is highly likely that PS3 will incorporate online gaming in some form. Whether it will be through an external adaptor or come as standard with the console is yet to be revealed.

More Release Date Speculation

San Francisco-based video game tracking company, International Development Group, has fuelled rumours about the release of the next gen consoles.

They stated in their latest report that Microsoft is expected to launch its Xbox 2 console (codenamed "Xenon") in fall 2005 for $299, and Sony is expected to bring its PlayStation 3 game hardware to market in 2006 (alongside Nintendo's next console).

Whether these predictions are going to come true or not, more and more analysts are saying increasingly similar things. This can only mean that there has got to be some sort of truth it what they’re saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Love this one. Could be an advert for the dangers of acid:

http://www.nikush.com/bhav/PS3/PS3 Mr. Gullick (02).jpg

And the scrapheap challenge/dellboy chancer version:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Bingo/1415/photo/ps3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

ps3.jpg

LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

ps3front.jpg

Unquestionably the best PS3 article I've read.

We're not going to get any concrete details on the PS3 until E3 2005. And considering how well the PS2 software is selling I don't think we'll see the system until 2006.

Launching your system before the PS3 is commercial suicide. Giving them a years head start is also a bad idea. I think MS need to launch at the exact same time as the PS3 and try and have better launch software. Nintendo should do this as well but they're always late launching hardware platforms so that isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There will be a few different versions of the PS3 I reckon. One will be a plain old games machine while there will also be a multimedia version as well..

The console will use the cell processor that has been developed by IBM, Sony and Tohshiba. IBM designed the main core of the processor, Toshiba developed the memory interfaces etc and Sony has developed the majority of the middleware and development software. They are all equal financial partners in the the processor AFAIK.

The Xbox 2 will be launched just before Xmas 2005 while the PS3 and new Nintendo will be launched just after..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

...The Xbox 2 will be launched just before Xmas 2005...
    boring name for it. i vote xbox Xtreme. i think i should copyright the name and come up with something that has a box with an x on it and then keep it really quiet until MS release it and call it that, then i'll jump out of the shadows and demand loads of royalties. and a free xbox xtreme. ;)

and all the games ever released for it!

*me goes off into the shadows to hatch my dasterdly plot. :D

vibe666 wrote:
    boring name for it. i vote xbox Xtreme. i think i should copyright the name and come up with something that has a box with an x on it and then keep it really quiet until MS release it and call it that, then i'll jump out of the shadows and demand loads of royalties. and a free xbox xtreme. ;)

and all the games ever released for it!

*me goes off into the shadows to hatch my dasterdly plot. :D

X b0xe 2's codename will be nexus or something like that I don't remember exaclty! but it won't be a dull "X-Box 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

xbox2 = xbox1.5
    industry boffins and microsoft themselves have said enough to convince me that it wont be a complete reworking. they're sticking to the "pc in a box" formula.

sony are trying to be innovative, and make sure the ps3 doesn't become redundant next to the xbox2 a few years down the line (they may be thinking of hardware upgrades etc.).

ps3 will have blu-ray, and an all new IBM chip, developed between the IBM and Sony guys. it's not a chip used in servers as someone said already. nearly half a billion dollars went into it's development apparently.

as for backwards capabilities... it will only support ps2 games. ps1 is slowly but surely being phased out and killed off because sony don't want to support 3 consoles at the same time, as well as the psp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I bet it's going to be triangle shaped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

xbox2 = xbox1.5
    industry boffins and microsoft themselves have said enough to convince me that it wont be a complete reworking. they're sticking to the "pc in a box" formula.
    I totally disagree... They are not using a x86 based processor or architecture nor are they going to have a hard disk by the looks of things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Yep. Definately don't agree with that post ProjectMayhem. Using PC parts in a console isn't cost effective. Microsoft will definately be steering clear of them next gen after how much money they lost on the XBox hardware.

And the PS3 will support PS1 games. Sony confirmed it last month. The PS2 already runs them through emulation so why not?

Advertisement