Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chartbusters scam

• 13-10-2004 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭

Sent this to them - concerns their Ballinteer branch

Hello

I'm am a member of the above branch. For the past 2 years everytime I've rented a movie I've handed the person at the counter a €5/10/20 note and have been given change rounded to the nearest € - being told "we don't currently have change can we put the €0.25c on your a/c" (DVD rentals being €4.75).

Therefore after 2 years of not receiving my change on Friday 8th October last I rented a DVD and asked the man at the counter what the balance on my a/c was (presuming this rental would be free as I should have had at least €5-10 on my a/c)

I was told there was only €0.25c on my a/c

This situation is unacceptable and I can only draw one of the following conclusions

1) It is Chartbusters policy not to give customers their €0.25c change instructing staff to book the sale on the register as €5 and not credit the customer's a/c therefore accumulating extra revenue from all customers from all branches over the years

or

2) Staff at this branch book the sale as €4.75 and then personally pocket the change

I expect a satisfactory explanation as to what happened with my account - either you are deliberately stealing from your customers or else your staff are.

Obviously €0.25c to me is immateral as is 2 years worth - €10 - however should this fraud involve all customers and all branches then the amount becomes very significant - I refer you to the latest AIB scandal for reference.

Should you not offer me a satisfactory explanation within 2 weeks I will forward this information to the relevant comsumer and media organisations for a full investigation.

I have now taken my business to the nearest Extra Vision store (Dundrum)

What you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

How would the lads working there be able to pocket the change since there is none given out unless they credit it to their own account..... sounds stupid so I suppose the ****, ie chartbuster are pocketing it and not the lads working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

elvis2002 wrote:
    How would the lads working there be able to pocket the change since there is none given out unless they credit it to their own account..... sounds stupid so I suppose the ****, ie chartbuster are pocketing it and not the lads working there.

I might be wrong but when adding up there till at the end of the night there would be money over there float, they could pocket it then.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

elvis2002 wrote:

Just because they aren't giving change out doesn't mean they aren't getting it in.
    Even if they weren't getting change and purely notes, then they'd just have to wait until they'd served enough customers and take out a note.
    Admittedly this doesn't really seem worth it as you'd have to serve 20 people before you could take a fiver, hardly worth the effort, unless it was a really busy shop.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

It's "Xtra Vision".

Chartbusters was set up by the same guy (Richard Murphy) who set up Xtra-Vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yeah I get the same in Chartbusters.
    How come all the other places seem to have change but Chartbusters never do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭Basq

God bless my local chartbusters - rentals are at an even E3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If that was me, I'd insist on the change or I'd say "I'll have a packet of crisps
    and I'll owe you the balance!".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Coporate policy. Do it to everyone, work out the percentage of people that will remember/give a damn and decide if it is worth the bad press if found out.

Its similar to most holiday insurance claimants being told "sorry you did not fill out the appropriate forms correctly/on time/insufficient evidence" When in fact they do this to nearly everyone hoping that 70% will say "aw well".

Then again it could be that the guy behind the counter was wronged by you in the past and you don't realise it and he is in fact doing it just to you.

On a similar note. Xtra-Vision here in Dundalk do the same, only with the 5c. Hardly much, but hey, it adds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Never had that problem with chartbusters as I usually see everything I wanna see in the cinema and only bother getting year-old stuff I missed from them under their generous '3 €4 dvds for a fiver' offer, hense no change.

Sounds a bit dodgy tbh and I certainly wouldn't have taken their word as to what they were doing with your change. They might have got away with doing it twice to me but once I understood this was their normal proceedure I'd have in future gone to the bother of getting the right payment ready in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I stopped going to chartbusters a long time ago.

It all began years ago when they said we owed them £5 for some movie we had out for a few days too long which I had left into the return slot and they just hadn't scanned it back in.

So we left for ages out of protest and came back a year or two later when the outstanding balance had mysteriously dissapeared. Then a few months later they did it again and said we owed them £15 or something like that so I effectively gave them the finger and walked out.

Dastards...

Rentals are too expensive anyways. You'd be just as well getting ex-rental DVD's a few weeks after their release cos if you're a day late you essentially have to pay a tenner all together which is usually around the price of most ex-rentals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,669 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Used to get that in Dones (sic) in the punt days, the cashier would say 'I have no pennies'. I said 'OK, give me 2p and I'll owe you a penny'. They found one then.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I don't know about your branch but in my local chartbusters branch they actually print receipts.. and there's a sign up saying pretty much please take ur receipt as it contains your account info.. so u could check if the change is added onto your account.. or if they don't automatically give u a receipt.. ask them for one!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Thats crap, even if its 25c make them go to another local store and get change. Its up to the manager to have sufficient change in a branch. The money is yours.

If you walk out of the shop without saying anything, you have no proof of what just happened if you dont get a receipt.

The next time it happens say its ok, and then when the transaction has gone through, ask for the reciept. by law they have to supply one to you. Then it will show exactly where the 25c has gone.

Sean

Advertisement