Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Update problem

• 13-10-2004 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭

My computer is showing the blue windows screen and there's text in the middle of the screen that alternates between "Windows Update (1 of 2)...." and "Please do not turn-off or unplug your computer". It has been like this for at least 4 hours now and doesn't seem to be making any progress. I've never seen this blue screen for an update before. Anyone know what I should do?

Another windows update problem:
    On my laptop there is a little windows logo and when I put the mouse over it, it says "Downloading updates: 0%". It's been like that for about a week now. I even closed it with the task manager but it just came back. Weird?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Oh well, it stayed like that for over 7 hours saying "installing updates (1 of 2)" so I just turned it off. Seems to be working fine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Disable automatic updates. They're a pain in the ass anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The full all options included version of XP SP2 is 266MB.
    this would take approx forever to down load on a modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Sorry for cutting in here but has anyone experienced the following:

Windows NT4 sp6a + IE6.
    When I try to run Windows update (not that there's much updating left in NT4) I get a message telling me to upgrade to IE5 (and offers a link). I've another NT4 box without this problem.

[Aside] Before ppl suggest I upgrade, the issue is that its my development machine - and it would be a BIG job to start to migrate things to another box.

Thanks

D.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For NT4 blank page on windows update :-
    Download scr56en.exe 665KB from the M$ web site to fix scripting
    There is another part of the fix where you have to re-reg two dll's too

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q193/7/01.ASP&NoWebContent=1

• Advertisement

The full all options included version of XP SP2 is 266MB.
    this would take approx forever to down load on a modem.

Hmm it wasn't that.... I have broadband and I have SP2 installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

NotMe wrote:

Another windows update problem:
    On my laptop there is a little windows logo and when I put the mouse over it, it says "Downloading updates: 0%". It's been like that for about a week now. I even closed it with the task manager but it just came back. Weird?

I had this problem recently.Go into Automatic Updates in Control Panel and turn off Automatic Updates. Then go back in and turn back on whichever option you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

For NT4 blank page on windows update :-
    Download scr56en.exe 665KB from the M$ web site to fix scripting
    There is another part of the fix where you have to re-reg two dll's too

Thanks Capt'n. Appreciated :)

D.

I had this problem recently.Go into Automatic Updates in Control Panel and turn off Automatic Updates. Then go back in and turn back on whichever option you want.

Thanks. That worked. :D

Advertisement