Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresher looking for 'get folder'???

• 13-10-2004 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hey my gf just started in trinity and the lecturar told her class that the not s would be in this get folder!Doesnt sound right to me but anyway her been completly computer unfriendly, i said i ask you guys what the hell she s on about!!!

Directions for a fresher to said file would be great!!!!

Goose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

The_Goose wrote:
    Hey my gf just started in trinity and the lecturar told her class that the not s would be in this get folder!Doesnt sound right to me but anyway her been completly computer unfriendly, i said i ask you guys what the hell she s on about!!!

Directions for a fresher to said file would be great!!!!

Goose

If she's using certain pc's (well, at least the ones in the laser huts like I am) there's a folder at the top of the start menu called "network shortcuts". In that there's a "get folder" options. From there, she just has to look for her lecturer's name and open that folder. That's where the notes will be.

There's a blond girl beside me looking at me as I'm typing, not very inconspicuous about it either. Yes blond girl, I mean you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

http://isservices.tcd.ie/facilities/getput_access.php

should explain everything.

i think get and put folders are just like ftp server type things were students can directly download notes from and can upload assignments. the link above should prove helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

click start->run and type \\ntserver-usr

bada bing bada bang bada boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

quick question on location of pc rooms...
    i had to queue in arts block 4 ages 2day (cos the ones in d'olier st nursing building arent up and running yet!) and according 2 the map theres a pc room in the GMB. i couldnt find it -whats the story with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

ARRGH chick there are so many pc rooms you (for the most part) dont have to queue up for...
    I recommend 3, 4 or 5.. Grand ol comps in them all..

http://isservices.tcd.ie/facilities/map.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Dest

pc room in GMB is up very very top past ye olde snooker tables. keep goin till ye see stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Dest wrote:
    pc room in GMB is up very very top past ye olde snooker tables. keep goin till ye see stars.

Is the GMB comp room a bit quieter than the rest? 'Cause I'm in the Hamilton basement ones at the moment, and they can be quite packed around midday (although I wouldn't go to the bother of queing for them). Also, any Mac rooms that aren't packed to the gills? I tried the Arts block one earlier, and there was a que about 8-10 people long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The GMB rooms are luverly, so quiet and relaxing - though i do really like the CS labs, which only CS and ICT have access too - tis great :D

the hamilton mac room is never packed tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

On the macs the get folder's in the icons on the bottom of the screen, right hand side I think.

Thanks guys, I dont fancy Q'ing again in the Orts block!
    I wasnt sure if a laser hut meant computer room lol, thanks 4 that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

While we're on a technical issue, loadsa comp genies here :).. erm how do I get this to save-as as in the .wmv file?
    http://video.premiumtv.co.uk/rangersfc/video/mrwoo_hi.wmv

I don't care if it's off a rangers site, mr woo is just cool..

Edit: don't answer me till you at least try doing it and see what happens..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Yeah, I'm in the GMB comp room right now, only about 5 of us in here (I checked the hamilton basement ones, and they were packed/had classes in them) between about 30 computers. It's great, although I'm considering filing a lawsuit against Fujitsu Siemens about the great big word "scenic" that they've got on the front of these horrendous beige/teal boxes sitting in front of us. Fraudulent advertising if I've even seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Its streaming media, the whole idea is that u can't save it to disk dec, there are apps for doing it, but effort...tis on a rangers site afterall can only be so good.

Whats the story with photocopyin and printing stuff??

Im gettin pretty pissed off cos iv loadsa stuff 2 print but ppl keep tellin me different things about how to put credits into ur account. i put my TCD id card into a machine today, but my password was invalid apparently? i used my library password.
    someone else told me iv to get a seperate card thats just used for printing/photocopying?

Please help, i cant get a straight answer outta anyone!!

for printing its your tcd student card, and as for a pin code you generate it the first time u do it so my sister beside me informs me..... (default is 0001 or 9999 or something odd, should be on the wall)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

the pin is set to 9999, and you can then change it to whatever you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Pet wrote:
    There's a blond girl beside me looking at me as I'm typing, not very inconspicuous about it either. Yes blond girl, I mean you.

LOL, fantastic :)
    I hate when that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Once you've topped up your card, you can print from any machine in college. When you press print it'll prompt you to enter your ID number and pin code and then print it off.

For photocopying, you buy a card for €3 from the dispensers (there's usually one near every cluster of photocopiers) and you get about 48 credits. Reads works out cheaper though

oh ok thanks a mil guys :D nobody tells you this stuff lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

crash_000 wrote:
    The GMB rooms are luverly, so quiet and relaxing - though i do really like the CS labs, which only CS and ICT have access too - tis great :D

the hamilton mac room is never packed tbh.

And us engineers. They are quiet nice, even if they do seem to be packed with netsoc guys

• Advertisement

Hrmmm not all u engineers boston, only engineers with a CS course have access to them, so thats all second years and some 3rd/4th depending on choices.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

stargal wrote:
    For photocopying, you buy a card for €3 from the dispensers (there's usually one near every cluster of photocopiers) and you get about 48 credits. Reads works out cheaper though

If you see a few cards lying about the photocopiers but not in the bin, try them in the machine. I only bought one card last year, the rest of my photocopying was care of forgetful Hamilton students.

handy tip ;)

Advertisement