Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oldboy

• 13-10-2004 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

did anybody see this movie yet. it was on in the cork film festival last night but i have a dicking ear infection so i couldn't go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I saw it a while back it was a very good, fun film. Loved the ending ( He walks away - some people don't get that part ;) ). Everyone who can should watch this - it's definitely worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

" He walks away - some people don't get that part "

To be perfectly honest i wasnt sure at the end..
    "But, but, but... he cant be...." and then the smile..

very good film, saw it at the film festival, although it (like most of the films shown at the opera house) was dogged by that fricKin focus problem..
    almost took something away from the film itself..
    must get more chan-wook parks films if i can, sympathy for mr vengeance was excellent too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

smiaras wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    No will understand unless they watch the movie - so watch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

No will understand unless they watch the movie - so watch it!
    I'm still gonna be watching the movie thinking "What did OfflerCrocGod mean when he said that?". And that's pretty unfair.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I'm still gonna be watching the movie thinking "What did OfflerCrocGod mean when he said that?". And that's pretty unfair.
    Sorry about that :D You will see what I mean at the very end of the movie - what I'm talking about has really very little to do with any other part of the plot. So it's OK, it's not a very important part, you may not even notice it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

I read that there is going to be a US remake of this starring Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've not seen Oldboy yet, but after seeing the excellent Sympathy For Mr. Veangance, it's definetly on my 'to-do' list.

But god damn it, ANOTHER Asian film being remade... It's getting beyond a joke at this stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I read that there is going to be a US remake of this starring Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Well I don't know if this is a good movie - gonna catch it tomorrow - but I hadn't heard this rumor. I hope you're wrong though because I imagine it'll be completely pointless. Speaking of pointless, anyone getting tired of ads for The Grudge, Asian Movie Remake #1323?

ixoy wrote:
    Well I don't know if this is a good movie - gonna catch it tomorrow - but I hadn't heard this rumor. I hope you're wrong though because I imagine it'll be completely pointless. Speaking of pointless, anyone getting tired of ads for The Grudge, Asian Movie Remake #1323?

Oh, it's definetly no rumour! It's fact.

• Advertisement

All I can say is for ****s sake :mad: ****ing Americans.

Balls. I should see the movie tomorrow, so no doubt I'll be voicing my displeasure shortly afterwards regarding the remake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Going to finally see it on the big screen...can't wait.

About that casting...it wouldn't be the worst casting ever. I presume Pitt is getting mentioned because of Fight Club and I'll go to see Depp in anything. The biggest decision re a remake is who will direct it and what will the studio let them get away with. A shot for shot remake wouldn't be allowed. You can imagine a studio head thinking that Fincher would be the man but he would probably make it flashier and worse.

I can understand some of the asian remakes. Not all of the films being remade are masterpieces and could nearly do with a little tweaking. Oldboy is a masterpiece however and they would be doing extremely well to come within touching distance of it's brilliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Saw it today. Very good. Didn't quite get one or two bits though :(

Anyway I read a review the other day where they said go see it before they announce a remake... must be psychic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Which cinemas is it showing at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Ugc

Just saw it. Really liked it. Felt the violence in it had its place, much like say in "Hana Bi". Wincing sometimes, but never feeling gratuitous. Good place and cracking performance by Min-sik Choi in the lead role. And yes OfferCroc makes sense :)

One thing I found amusing was seeing Jie-Te Yu in this movie. Never had seen this actor in my life but saw him twice in the cinema this week because he's also in "Into the Mirror".

Anyway, regardless this a recommended movie and it's nice to see it crawling into the IMDB Top 250 (which is a half-decent barometer of taste. Emphasis on the half...)

ixoy wrote:
    Anyway, regardless this a recommended movie and it's nice to see it crawling into the IMDB Top 250 (which is a half-decent barometer of taste. Emphasis on the half...)

Cool. I'll have to update my seen/unseen from that list. It wasn't there a week or 2 ago when I went through the list seeing how many of them I'd seen. It's an ok barometer if you get rid of about half of the top 20.

(Seen: 205; Not seen: 45)

Edit: It seems that it was Spider Man 2 that was knocked out of the top 250 to make room.

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Cool. I'll have to update my seen/unseen from that list. It wasn't there a week or 2 ago when I went through the list seeing how many of them I'd seen. It's an ok barometer if you get rid of about half of the top 20.

(Seen: 205; Not seen: 45)
    I just did my own check there, out of curiosity. Seen: 155. Not seen: 95. Of those I haven't seen, there's only a few in the Top 100. A handful haven't been released yet for me to see (e.g. 'Hero' and 'Garden State') and I have several more to get around to watching ('Seven Samurai', 'Grave of the Fireflies' and 'Sunset Boulevard' off the top of my head).

One thing I was happy to see was that 'Before Sunset' is now in the Top 250. Very deserving. Although I still can't quite fathom what the hell 'The Last Samurai' is doing there... I doubt you'd be able to shed any more light on it Raoul would you? :p

ixoy wrote:
    Although I still can't quite fathom what the hell 'The Last Samurai' is doing there... I doubt you'd be able to shed any more light on it Raoul would you? :p

It should disappear once a few semi-big/decent movies come out. It'll be gone by x-mas I'd say. All recent releases with a score less than 7.9/7.8 are in mortal danger of disappearing. I don't quite understand the voting for the top 250. I know there are voters whose vote is weighted which I agree with. Imagine if it was a free for all. The top 250 would become totally worthless.

Also, on the topic of IMDB. Any idea how many films you have to vote on to get into the top 1,000 voters? Pick an obscure film, any osbcure film and there will a number of them that have voted on it. I was looking at Hitchcocks filmography and his First (sort of) film has been lost to time yet there are a number of top 1,000 voters that have voted on it! I reckon I'd need to vote on a couple of hundred movies a day for a year to get into that "select" group.

Dragging the topic back to Oldboy. If you all have become fans off the main guy in this (too lazy to look up his name) then you should check out another film of his called Failan. It's different from Oldboy but good nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Film of the year !! Da misses is Korean and I'm a great fan of actor :o Choi Min Sik """ If you like his work get out

1. Shiri http://www.mediacircus.net/shiri.html
    2. Chehwason

They are also fantastic movies !!!

9.7/10

Drapper wrote:
    Film of the year !! Da misses is Korean and I'm a great fan of actor :o Choi Min Sik """ If you like his work get out

1. Shiri http://www.mediacircus.net/shiri.html
    2. Chehwason

They are also fantastic movies !!!

9.7/10

Thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to check out Shiri for a while. Didn't know that he was in it. Did a quick look on the IMDB for Chehwason and I think I've read about it before. I'll keep an eye out for it from now on.
    Staying on the topic of this actor I've also seen The Quiet Family which is very good but he doesn't have that big a role in it. I've been thinking about watching Happy End which is also supposed to be good if pretty sexually explicit....have you seen this one?

Now you have given me new films to watch too !!!

Do you think he is like a Korean Garry Oldman??

Drapper wrote:
    Now you have given me new films to watch too !!!

Do you think he is like a Korean Garry Oldman??

Don't know about that. Maybe. Only see 3 of is movies.

I was thinking of starting a thread about Korean movies because there have been so many good ones released in the last few years but I didn't bother.

Great idea !!! let me know if you want the Sound track of Old Boy I got it from a korean MP3 site !!!

:-)

Raoul Duke wrote:
    I was thinking of starting a thread about Korean movies because there have been so many good ones released in the last few years but I didn't bother.

Go for it! I've not bleated enough about Save The Green Planet yet.

In a good way or bad way? Personally, I think it was probably the strongest entry in UGC's Tartan Asia Extreme festivael. Wonderful picture altogether mixing genres and actually rising emotions out of me. And this is certainly one that I don't think would work being Hollywoodised, whatever about other fare.

ixoy wrote:
    In a good way or bad way? Personally, I think it was probably the strongest entry in UGC's Tartan Asia Extreme festivael. Wonderful picture altogether mixing genres and actually rising emotions out of me. And this is certainly one that I don't think would work being Hollywoodised, whatever about other fare.

Oh in a good way, obviously! Fantastic film, and I concur with the emotion sentiment, as there wasn't a main character in the film that I didn't sympathise or feel for in some way. An astounding feat for any film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

OLDBOY has won my film of 2004 personaly award. no film i have seen this year so far has been so amazing!

• Advertisement

Glad you liked it !!! There are many Korean films which I have seen like Oldboy which where made on a small budget and have blown me away with artistic talent.........

And the US are planning a remake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

not so sure about remake.

And i have seen a fair few korean films myself.

including sympathey for mr vengence and nowhere to hide which are both linked to oldboy but oldboy outperformed both (

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

now please don't hit me, but there was a one or two bits in i didn't get at the end.

****************************SPOILERS*******************************

when he's in session with the hypnotist at the end, is that the hypnotist from when he was in the prison?
    also, why were they in the middle of a snowy wood? was it just for effect?
    lastly, when Monster walks away, he dies, but does Dae-su's smile at the end still indicate that Monster is still part of him and knows that Mido is his daughter?

Thanks for any light you can shed! :

nachos wrote:
    now please don't hit me, but there was a one or two bits in i didn't get at the end.

****************************SPOILERS*******************************

when he's in session with the hypnotist at the end, is that the hypnotist from when he was in the prison?
    Yes.
    nachos wrote:
    also, why were they in the middle of a snowy wood? was it just for effect?
    Yes. It's New Zealand I believe.
    nachos wrote:
    lastly, when Monster walks away, he dies, but does Dae-su's smile at the end still indicate that Monster is still part of him and knows that Mido is his daughter?

Thanks for any light you can shed! :
    That.....is unclear, that smile can mean anything really, I think it was put in to make you think, to make you go "ummm....." :) [PHP]
    [/PHP] Those are spoiler tags you can use them in your posts instead of ****

I agree with this intepretation............

올드보이 (OldBoy)

Got to see this last night, and really can't see what all the fuss was about. Everything about the film was heavily signposted, so there wasn't much room for surprise. And the supposedly "icky" bits just left me thinking "that's all it takes to make people cringe these days?".

There was nothing in this film I hadn't seen before. It was certainly entertaining, and kept me from having to give in and see the Punisher, so bonus marks to it for that. But beyond that, thoroughly unremarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

<re:save the green planet>
    ixoy wrote:
    Personally, I think it was probably the strongest entry in UGC's Tartan Asia Extreme festivael. Wonderful picture altogether mixing genres and actually rising emotions out of me. And this is certainly one that I don't think would work being Hollywoodised, whatever about other fare.
    yeah that or gozu definitly, i was really upset at some parts of the film, and i love a film that does that to me.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Got to see this last night, and really can't see what all the fuss was about. Everything about the film was heavily signposted, so there wasn't much room for surprise. And the supposedly "icky" bits just left me thinking "that's all it takes to make people cringe these days?".

There was nothing in this film I hadn't seen before. It was certainly entertaining, and kept me from having to give in and see the Punisher, so bonus marks to it for that. But beyond that, thoroughly unremarkable.

I disagree, it was a truely original script with thought provoking sceens, maybe you need to see it again to get the true value of the message.............................. ;)

Maybe you need to stop testing my patience and repeating cop-out answers. I just didn't find the movie amazing.. this doesn't mean I didn't "get the true value of the message".

A little stressed, having a bad day? ............................. patience me arse...............

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

is that the name on cover ken, I can't find it on play.com

I loved Oldboy btw, saw it in the IFC last saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Best thing about the whole film was that big fight he has in the hallway, it was like some kind of old school beat em up videogame.
    I can see where Obey is coming from, the man has high standards and this is by no means a classic for all time. Save the Green Planet is actually better.

As much as I enjoyed "Oldboy", I think "Save the Green Planet!" is the superior film as well because I emotionally connected with it a lot more. "Oldboy" I MIGHT get on DVD but I intend to seek out "Save the Green Planet!" when it's released (and there's a mere handful of movies I've seen this year which I'd do that for).

ObeyGiant, maybe you posted on it, but what did you make of "Save the Green Planet!"?

ixoy wrote:
    ObeyGiant, maybe you posted on it, but what did you make of "Save the Green Planet!"?
    I've been up to my oxters for the past month or two and haven't really had a chance to see much. This is the reason I only got around to seeing Oldboy on Wednesday. I completely missed Save the Green Planet when it was in the cinema :(

Beruthiel wrote:
    is that the name on cover ken, I can't find it on play.com

It doesn't seem to be out on DVD yet tbh Beruthiel, so you'll have to wait a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I really enjoyed this when I say it a couple of weeks ago.I haven't read all this topic as I don't have time at the moment but I have one question.Old Boy
    accused his captor of killing his sister.Did he kill her or did she jump herself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

eh, spoiler tags maybe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

oldboy= meh, imo. i know fahrenheit 9/11 didnt deserve to win the palme d'or but i still woulda been p***** if this won it. its ironic how many peoples favourite scene is the hallway fight, when the director intentionally tried to make it almost boring and lacklustre(theres a really interesting article about oldboy in S&S)
    i am surprised about how quickly its leaving cinemas over here though, especially with all the hype that surrounded its release.
    as for the tartan asia extreme festival, ive seen every film in it, except for 'the isle'(blame the ifco) and chaos(blame ugc for not having a proper 2 week release)
    'the isle' is coming out this friday afaik(albeit in a heavily cut form). my favourite film from the festival was definitely 'save the green planet' with 'gozu' and 'into the mirror' coming a close joint second, which i all immensely enjoyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Best thing about the whole film was that big fight he has in the hallway, it was like some kind of old school beat em up videogame.
    The way the shot was framed and how it scrolled very slowly reminded me completely of the old Amiga/C64 game version of the Arnie movie 'Red Heat'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

PWEI wrote:
    Old Boy
    accused his captor of killing his sister.Did he kill her or did she jump herself?
    The sister was happy to die but her brother didn't want her to. I thought this was quite obvious.

I enjoyed this film a lot - it isn't one of the best films of all time or anything but it's an interesting story, well-told with cool visuals.

I'm sure the American version will suck, though - I wonder will they leave in the
    incest
    bits at all given how prudish US films tend to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Saw Oldboy last week-really enjoyed it.The last few scenes in the office in particular were really gripping and a great way to end a good movie.Totally agree about the Hallway scene-its so out of place with the rest of the film, it does look cool though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement