Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone else noticed?

Options
  • 02-03-2001 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Heres two things that constantly get on my nerves when i watch TV.

1)The difference in the volume levels between the channels.
    For example put it onto Sky 1 and put it up to a reasonable audible level and then switch it to RTE or Channel 4,the volume nearly doubles! Its a small thing but it really gets on my nerves.

2)The ever increasing length of Ad breaks.
    Again Sky 1 are the worst offenders. They're becoming as bad as American TV channels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

There shouldn't be any volume difference in the stations, as they all broadcast at a reference tone of 44.1 Khz.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

if your cable is supplied by Chorus then the difference is due to the fact that only terrestial stations (RTE,N2,TV3,TNAG) are broadcast in stereo, whilst every other channel is in mono.

that said a difference is definitly noticeable between MTV and C4 or BBC2.

Lump: surely volume relates to amplitude and not frequency of the transmitted waves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

There is a difference in sound volumes. Advertisers have been using "boosting" for about 15 years, hence the volume seems to up at add breaks. Sky uses it of course because they are as full of hype as the advertising agencies.

As for the add breaks:
    Longer adds = more revenue = less money on hours actual content = lower overheads.....and RTE want to raise the licence fee?

They could cut costs by giving Porky Gerry Ryan a smaller nose bag and get the 6 times TV show failure off our boxes 4 good! If only he was'ent related to Gay Byrne, but thats the price of a Dynasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

There is so a difference Lump. tongue.gif

My service provider is Cablelink not Chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

There is a difference, even on normal Arial reception. Not just on the ads but normal program broadcasting. Noticed this as a kid when trying to stay up late on school nights while my parents were in bed. Id turn from one channel, volume would change and id be caught smile.gif

But i dont mind ad breaks, it gives me a chance to flick...stations that is! Theres always the chance im missing something better on the other side! Or ive just got a low attention span! Cant be bothered taking the time to figure that out smile.gif

[This message has been edited by LittleFigment (edited 05-03-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

All the channels are entitled to show no more than 12 minutes of ads in every hour so u'll never get more than that.

i've never noticed a change in volume between stations?

tct

eek.gif

I'm a bicycle!!

I'm offended.

BAN THAT GUY!

In all seriousness....the greatest place on earth!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I notice the volume thing all the time - especially switching from satellite to terestrial stations.

Also, I think TV3's adds are the longest - it's insanity - they seem to last forever frown.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

You'll also recieve this fabulous check-book pen....(cos all women ever do is write checks, right?)....elegant and stylish to pop into your handbag....(****in' tiny enough to lose it in seconds)

condesending *******s rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

yah that ad really gets on my t!ts aswell.

Whats the point in telling us that it can write upside down?

[This message has been edited by Kento-Shiro (edited 05-03-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

The ****ing penali pen set...enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

So it'll work in australia silly, when she goes over there to do your uncle Billy's dishes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Get gator grip now!

[Honey I]gassed[The Kids]
    <A HREF="http://www.leet-skillz.com

" TARGET=_blank>www.leet-skillz.com

</A>
    smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    Also, I think TV3's adds are the longest - it's insanity - they seem to last forever</font>

I've noticed that too Kharn, complete pants on a stick, but they have especially lenghtened adverts in between movie premieres. Event Horizon for instance a few weeks ago, ads ever half hour for, on average, just over six minutes.
    Ludicrous.

Nil Desperandum

Advertisement