Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of the year again - so what gloves?

Options
  • 13-10-2004 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

it's getting a wee bit nipply again out there again. I always suffered terribely out on the road with my hands, just had no circulation whatsoever. (I once spent an hour trying to change a puncture until a bloke wearing no gloves and piping warm hands did it for me (Thank you if you're reading this;) )).

So the moral is good gloves are needed and I post to share my wisdom. I ended up with 2 pairs of gloves. One for the cold dry days, one for the wet days. The wet day gloves were a neoprene construction - not very flexible and brutal if it was dry. But they retained the water and you heated them and then you were toasty on a wet day.

the dry day ones were 'windstopper' technology. Goretex or similar. No problems on the coldest days.

Of course a nice fleece skull cap goes a million miles too. And over shoes - options are available in both teh neoprene and goretex varieties. Although the neoprene ones always did me.

couldn't find satisfactory images of the products I'm talking about.
    Anyone else any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ever tried a pair of surgical gloves under your dry ones, in case it rains?

It's something I've been thinking about (for the motorbike), but haven't had a chance to try yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Is gortex really the best stuff to get for keeping warm? I bought a raceface wintery jacket for about 60 quid. It's 100% nylon and it keeps me warmish but it's mostly designed for the rain. It's almost the same as this except it has sleeves.

Would I be better off investing in gortex stuff?

What about for your legs? I bought a pair of those bib tights and my girlfriend laughs at me when I wear them :o (and probably the kids on the street as I cycle past too). But will they keep me warm in the winter?

thanks for listening!

KR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

I've been using a pair of SealSkinz gloves and so far they have proved to be excellent. My commute is about 8 miles so they've been well road tested so far. The temperature hasn't dropped enough to really test their warmth capacity but in terms of waterproofing, windproofing and flexilibity I'd give them top marks. I also had a spill on the bike recently and the gloves completely saved my hands from a skinning - amazingly there was hardly a mark on the gloves.

There's plenty of info on the web if you google for them:

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/3987/v/2/sp/332475698608328182484
    http://www.macgaiters.co.uk/sealskinz_gloves.htm

Cheers,
    -AB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

seamus wrote:
    Ever tried a pair of surgical gloves under your dry ones, in case it rains?

It's something I've been thinking about (for the motorbike), but haven't had a chance to try yet.

Not convinced - obviously on a bike they'd be useless cos you couldn't sweat through them. Motorbike - dry gloves are designed for se indry, once wet they're insulating abilities would be severely hampered and then you'd just be wearing surgical gloves. Or not. let me now ;)

King Raam wrote:
    Is gortex really the best stuff to get for keeping warm?

Would I be better off investing in gortex stuff?

What about for your legs? I bought a pair of those bib tights and my girlfriend laughs at me when I wear them :o (and probably the kids on the street as I cycle past too). But will they keep me warm in the winter?

The best winter jacket I own is the lightest. i used to have to wear vests and stuff under my old ones but not this one. Stopping the wind getting through and you've half the battle. c_040.jpg

Tight are unfortunately definitily the best option. These guys do the best stuff in the last couple of years.
    Also good are Assos(s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Uberwolf wrote:
    Tight are unfortunately definitily the best option.

Anywhere in Dublin you can pick up their stuff? Looks pretty good.
    I've a jacket similar to the one you have, except it's not padded, just waterproof. I tend to layer up underneath it which can be a bit too warm when the sun hits you.

Kevin.

seamus @ the yellow jersey 01 - 624 7501 can get campy stuff and assos etc.
    Cycleways also do assos afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My winter gloves are Specialized Sub Zero (2003 model), bought in CycleWays.
    Reflective piping around fingers. Removably liner so can be washed. No padding on mine but new one does. Good grippy palm.
    Frequently the tip of my thumb gets quite cold but that could be me.

I wear running tights, picked up cheap enough at TK Maxx. Look silly on my skinny legs but keep me warm in all but the coldest weather.

For rain leggings (and insulation when tights not warm enough) I have Patagonia M's Supercell Pants. Pack really small. Zipper from ankle to a decent length up the calf. Keep me dry, though I often get condensation inside but that doesn't bother me as I shower either end of my cycle anyway.

My rain jacket is a short day-glow yellow thing by Peter Storm from Millets. Couldn't find it on either website (PS or Millets). Supposed to be breathable but my sweat output is probably too high. I wear sport/football jerseys underneath.

And for my feet I have those gaters, thick nylon yolks made by some Irish company. About 18 euro. Open sole so they don't stop me from using my clipless shoes. Elastic around sole, at ankle and at top (about half way up calf. Keep feet warm and dry and they take the road spray that gets beyond the mudguards.

All of this adds a nice few pounds to my backpack every day (panniers not possible on my bike). And I carry my changes of clothes too (jeans, tshirt, socks, underwear).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

can ya get water/rain proof runners? and what are gaters? are they effective?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

ah yes....winter is approaching. last year i made do on my winter spins with 2 tshirts, then a jersey and windproof jacket, gloves (cant just remember what theyre made of), leggings and shorts, neoprene overshoes. only problem i had was cold feet....that and extreme tiredness after killing myself on the bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Here are 2 pics of one of my gators.
    In gator.jpg you can see the elastic at top, ankle, bottom and across foot arch.
    gator_wear.jpg is me wearing it. The ball area of the foot is exposed so clipless pedals unaffected.

I just found the bit that came with them. They are by Sporthouse (http://www.sporthouse.ie in Waterford) and they call them "Cyclespats". They are not listed on their website but you could call/mail them for retailer list (051-377-977).
    My previous pair lasted about 10 years before the elastic at the bottom just came away from the nylon and the waterproofness deteriorated. No complaints from me - they got tons of use and abuse over the years.
    They are no fashion statement but either are the tights I wear.

Aside: My wee nose gets cold in winter so I wear a thin balaclava. I had a thin silk one I wore under my motorbike helmet. With my perscription shades on I looked 'suspicious' or threatening. I now have a 'Buff' yoke from Lowe Alpine shop. Expensive at 18 euro. It can be a balaclava, cap and many other thing.
    http://www.buff.es/

Advertisement