Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush Vs Kerry 3: This time its domestic!

Options
  • 13-10-2004 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Ok, so most people would give the 1st two to Kerry, surely in the absence of Bush producing Bin Laden on a plate, a third loss is going to give Kerry a good advantage.
    Breakingnews claims "The face-to-face meeting, scheduled for 9pm (1am Irish time) at Arizona State"

Whereas Sky News said 2am.
    Anyone have a definite?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Well the last 3 debates have been on at 9PM Eastern Time, which is 2 AM Irish time, so I'd go with that...
    Also debates.org, the official site of the debate organisers say "All debates are scheduled to begin at 9:00 p.m. E.T." and I'd trust them over breakingnews :D

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Kerry started poorly, but he's doing pretty well now. Bush has landed a few blows, but one or two of his comments have reeked of desperation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well it's over. On substance I'd hand it to Kerry. Bush poorly handed some questions about items like job growth and minimum wage increase by badly diverting it to the topic of education. On the other hand Kerry, if asked about any question, seemed to try and shove in the "tax cut for the rich" line ad nauseum - we know, we get it John...

Going on general appearance, I found Kerry the stronger speaker here although we didn't get any odd moments when Bush tried to sell us wood... There was a mention the past time about the blinking rate being an indicator of confidence. Bush, in his closing speech, was blinking very rapidly as if unsure.

I'm biased, and I'm saying Kerry, but I can foree it being called a draw. We'll see what the polls say over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I thought Kerry wiped the floor with Bush in the first two debates, and the polls still but them in a dead heat. Unfortunitly, I felt this one was the most even - Kerry had the stronger arguments, but Bush is getting better at shruging them off. He seemed to have the crowd working for him in this one too - he got the laughs, and I'm sure I heard a 'woop' at one point.

I hate to even think it, let alone say it, but I have a terrible feeling that Bush is going to go into the lead after this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

my favourite quote from this one has to be bush's "We held to account a terrorist regime in Saddam Hussein" (sounds a rather invasive procedure to me)

...go on, elect bush, he's a comedy genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The person controlling the debate is actually a personal friend of Bush. I wonder if that had any effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup snap poll taken immediately after the presidential debate found that respondents gave a significant edge to Kerry over Bush, 52 percent to 39 percent.

The poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

The numbers were similar to the results of a poll taken the night of the first debate September 30 in Miami, Florida. That night Kerry was favored by a 53 percent to 37 percent margin.

Kerry and Bush were almost even in the second debate on October 5, with the numbers falling with the margin of error.

The respondents Wednesday were 511 registered voters who watched the debate. Their political affiliations broke down as 36 percent Republican, 36 percent Democratic and 28 percent independent.

Interesting figures when you compare the support breakdown to the poll results....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Bush Bulge Update: pic from last night's debate

bushbulge.jpg

Whatever it is, it's getting bigger :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

shotamoose wrote:
    Bush Bulge Update: pic from last night's debate

bushbulge.jpg

Whatever it is, it's getting bigger :eek:

I reckon its the hatch that allows the alien to get into the Bush "human suit"

It makes perfect sense:

The poor ability with English
    The total ignorance of world opinion
    The ravaging of the environment
    The thirst for war

.....Its just like independance day!!!!

I'm telling ya, when he gets re-elected, expect those saucers to come a hovering.....

On topic, I think anyone with a clear head and an educated mind would have thought Kerry walked away with that, unfortunately, it seems, those assets are not common in the US these days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I noticed at the end Kerry giving Bush a good pat on the back.. probably frisking him. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

syke wrote:
    I reckon its the hatch that allows the alien to get into the Bush "human suit"
    .....Its just like independance day!!!!

Don't you mean Men In Black.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

bonkey wrote:
    Don't you mean Men In Black.

jc

Yeah, but the idea of bush being in power for another 4 years is far too scary to be a comedy.

Besides [Stormfront] all Will Smith movies look the same to me [/Stormfront].

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hobbes wrote:
    I noticed at the end Kerry giving Bush a good pat on the back.. probably frisking him. :)
    If only he'd managed to knock the device to the floor. It'd have been one of the all time greatest political moves!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I was a bit worried when the first question was about the world beign a safer place... here we go again. But afterwards, we did actually manage to hit a little new material. I'd say overall Kerry came out on top, but this was Bush's strongest performance so far, if a littlle smarmy. Less than 3 weeks to go now, finely balanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

I have a terrible feeling that Bush is going to go into the lead after this one

Check out this site. Either candidate needs 270 electoral votes to become president. Poor Kerry has been dropping ground for a while now. However, it usually takes a few days for the public effect of the debates to show up in the polls.

Kerry is supposed to be a 'strong finisher'. That said, I worry that Clinton's dodgy heart may cost Kerry the presidency. Surgery shmurgery, Bill! Up and at them!

Regarding the Bush Bulge: realistically, if you were the POTUS and you are wired with a clandestine device while speaking front of at least a hundred million people worldwide, most of whom are scrutinising your every word and move, said device would be concealed where it would be least visible, i.e. not the upper back, where the device is likely to be exposed due to the fabric of your suit jacket stretching from arm and shoulder movements. In your inside pocket would be a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

PunyHuman wrote:
    Regarding the Bush Bulge: realistically, if you were the POTUS and you are wired with a clandestine device while speaking front of at least a hundred million people worldwide, most of whom are scrutinising your every word and move, said device would be concealed where it would be least visible, i.e. not the upper back, where the device is likely to be exposed due to the fabric of your suit jacket stretching from arm and shoulder movements. In your inside pocket would be a good idea!

or between your ears?

Advertisement