Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what`s your favourite movie?

• 13-10-2004 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

we, some friends get a movie and come together, and really enjoy a lot… I wonder what is your favourite movie? What is your suggestion? To start, mine is THE MAN WITH THE IRON MASK, has anyone seen it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I'm a big fan of Meet The Parents or Life Of Brian. Both classics

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

surely this should be moved to the arts > film thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^^^^^^^^^ Get over it

Boyz In The Hood

Fight Club

Papillon.

^^^^^^^^^^ Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

wrong board, moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Apocalypse Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ishnid

Mine's got to be Memento, followed by Trainspotting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Fargo...... i love that movie..... 'He was a kind of funny looking guy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IVor

Lockstock and Snatch and the goonies...

Cant beat em with a big stick

Fav Classic: Leon
    Fav Recent: LOTR 3 or Lost in Translation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

This question always gives me problems. As someone who watches an inoordinate amount of films, its a bit of a quandry. Fletch Lives is the movie I've probably seen more than any. Shawshank Redemption is a movie I can re-watch ad infinatum without feeling like I've seen it all before, its like everytime I watch it, its only the 2nd time i've seen it. When Harry Met Sally is a beautiful, sweet movie, very funny, great performances. Then there's the movie's that moved you the most the first time you saw them, but their charm wore off with subsequent viewing - chief among these would be Life Is Beautiful - I definetly claimed it was my favourite movie at the time, but would no longer consider it so. So its all very complicated, I'd imagine i've seen several hundred films in my time, I've enjoyed, aprreciated or loathed them all to different extents, to attach a golden ribbon to one would be like picking a hair out of my head and calling it my favourite....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

like reactor said its a question that is basically a bitch to answer id go with for the sake of being endlessly rewatchable raging bull and it may not be the best film but it makes be cry with laughter every time happy gilmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hellboy's Cat

This is a difficult question, I've been asked this by people in the pub and then just seized up in comtemplation for a few hours. Anyways, mine would probably have been The Matrix but they went and totally ruined the whole thing for me with the sequels, so I have no clear favourite. But a film I saw recently which I would recommend is Kung Pow, funny as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

at the moment, because i got them on dvd, its the starwars trilogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Sober - Shawshank
    Drunk - Happy gilmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

In no particular order:
    Aliens
    Predator
    Con Air
    Dumb and Dumber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

"Harold and Maude"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Asking someone to pick their favorite film is like asking them to pick their favorite child i.e. it's the one that left your house and never came back.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, probably Trainspotting and all three Lord of the Rings movies. And The Matrix (first one) was good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

This is a difficult question, I've been asked this by people in the pub and then just seized up in comtemplation for a few hours. Anyways, mine would probably have been The Matrix but they went and totally ruined the whole thing for me with the sequels, so I have no clear favourite. But a film I saw recently which I would recommend is Kung Pow, funny as hell.

i almost pissed myself watching that.. it is probably THE funniest film of all of the time!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I agree with many replies to this thread already (esp Fletch - classic). I'd like to add Jaws, Heat, Thin red line and matrix to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I have a few:

Pearl Harbour - This is my top favourite :)

The Green Mile

American Pie: The Wedding

Man About Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Kwizatz Anorak

DUNE, The Hunt for Red October, Aliens, Jaws, The Game (only works once though), Pitch Black, Oceans 11, Dangerous Liasons to name but a few in no particular order....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

1. The Deer Hunter
    2. The Thin Red Line
    3. Taxi Driver
    4. Motorcycle Diaries
    5. Goodfellas
    6. Mean Streets
    7. Black Hawk Down
    8. Saving Private Ryan
    9. Behind Enemy Lines
    10. American History X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I cannot *believe* someone has Pearl Harbour as their No. 1.
    Shaking my head here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Platoon is one of the best war movie for me, The Big Boss for fighting movie, A bullet in the Head and Battle Royale as well have to be in the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Vamp IRL

Boondock Saints ('cos it's so funny)
    Con Air
    The Goonies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Vamp IRL wrote:
    Boondock Saints ('cos it's so funny)
    Con Air
    The Goonies

sweet mother of god :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Trainspotting.

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote:
    I cannot *believe* someone has Pearl Harbour as their No. 1.
    Shaking my head here.

Agreed, what a terrible waste to a decent prospect. Tried to do a saving private ryan and ended up not doing as well as shaving ryan's privates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Twyford

1. The Battleship Potemkin
    2. Sunset Boulevard
    3. Blue Velvet
    4. Quiz Show
    5. Edward Penisfingers.

All the above are seminal works in their respective genres and are must-sees for anyone with the remotest of interests in film. I would recommend them each as highly and as respectfully as i do Jesus.

Advertisement