Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practical Pistol ! Has it a future in Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Clubs are now taking in members from all socio economic backrounds
    Were there specific instances of clubs refusing members on the basis of their socio-economic background?
    if it transpires that PP is harming our sport I will hang up my 1911.
    That wouldn't be necessary, there are several disciplines which can be shot using the 1911 - like I said in my first post on this thread, NRA Bullseye shooting uses a .45 calibre for at least one of the three stages of the match, and that's just one (albiet the largest) of the disciplines that use .45s.

On a safety matter within PP, a question that's bothering me is that of backstops. I can understand that if you're running in one general direction, that three berms (one each in front and to the two sides) can act as effective backstops; but what if in the race forwards (and as I understand it, time is a factor so anyone seriously competing is going to be running as fast as they can), someone trips and falls over? How do you prevent the possibility of an accidental discharge in the direction the shooter came from (and thus in the direction of the spectators!)?
    Or is the whole affair conducted in a four-sided "box" of berms and observed from outside by spectators? (In which case, you do still have to worry about the shooter and the judge who runs with him in the event of accidental discharge).

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

The shooter when moving must have his or her finger clearly outside the trigger guard and the saftey engaged( if you have a saftey) ,the pistol should be pointed in the direction of the target . Some competions allow a 180 deg field of fire, and others a 45 deg depending on site conditions. The RO running the stage will DQ anyone who fails to comply with these conditions. Now if the pistol should discharge when it is accidentally dropped, then that opens up a whole can of worms, which could apply to all shooting sports, PP is a very strictly controlled sport ,it has to be, you can not assume that the shooter will act safely on a stage ,that is why each stage has a Ro, he or she ensures that each competitor completes the stage as per the rules and regulations of the event. My comment re hanging up my pistol may have been misconstrued, simply if the sport of target shooting was being maligned by its broad association with PP, then PP would have to stop !!,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

That would be correct Civdef - it was a .223.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Folks,
    while we are about it.
    Is there anyone who shoots or any club that has looked at practical shotgun here in the republic?It would seem like a good start and possibly abit easier to get going as I have seen a few practical shotguns for sale around the place,and they can be somwhat cheaper to start with than handguns.
    Not only that, some sporting shotguns can be easily customised by changing the mag capacity and the stocks,forends,etc.
    Parts from Choate spring to mind.
    Any intrest???

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Folks,
    while we are about it.
    Is there anyone who shoots or any club that has looked at practical shotgun here in the republic?It would seem like a good start and possibly abit easier to get going as I have seen a few practical shotguns for sale around the place,and they can be somwhat cheaper to start with than handguns.
    Not only that, some sporting shotguns can be easily customised by changing the mag capacity and the stocks,forends,etc.
    Any intrest???

no thanks, i'll stick to the clays. i couldn't handle the shame of missing a stationary target :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Folks,
    while we are about it.
    Any intrest???

I have seen Practical Shotgun and think it has the potential to be a good spectator sport. It would need guys with semi's or pumps to really make it interesting. With the limited number of ranges of any description it may be difficult set up however if you want to make a go of it PM me with your ideas. Targets are easily made and bowling pins can be had for small money from some bowling alleys. Shotguns I saw used were Rem1100,Rem 870,Winchester 1300,Mossberg,Benelli,etc. all of these can be customised ,I think.

Advertisement