Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTSC games

Options
  • 14-10-2004 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭

I have just found a site that offer very cheap PS2 games but they are in NSTC format.

To play games on the PS2 console I believe that they have to be in PAL format.

Does anyone know if there is a way to play the NSTC type? Is there anything that can be added to the console etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Modchip or just get an American PS2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are getting an NTSC console make sure your TV displays an NTSC signal. A chipped PAL PS2 will display the NTSC games in 50Hz instead of 60hz which will mean it will work for all European TVs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive found a program that will convert the game from NTSC-PAL when you back them up to DVD-r.

If the games are that cheap then buy them convert them to Pal and use a swopmagic disc and tool to play them.Works for me.

A friend brought me back a load of NTSC games from Thailand and I did the above and they all work 100%.Only drawback is there is a black border around the screen to compensate for the difference in TV signals.
    Richie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting a decent chip instead of a swap disk gets rid of black borders. I find swap discs a pain in the arse. I'm too lazy to be bothered with them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks people for the replies.

At this point I have to hold my hands up and say that the PS2 console is played by my 2 sons (7 & 11) so they dont know much about it and this would also be the limit of my knowledge.

I dont have a DVD-RW but I could avail of someone elses. Now when you mention the chip I know we may be talking a little sensatively here and have to be careful. How do you get the console chipped?

All advice and help would be most welcome.

Thanks again for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Getting a decent chip instead of a swap disk gets rid of black borders. I find swap discs a pain in the arse. I'm too lazy to be bothered with them :D

But they dont mess with your warranty if you have some left.I dont(cos I got the PS2 here on boards) but a few friends have a few months left and the swap discs are excellent for them.
    Plus once you get used to them you can load a new game in as quick a time it takes to load one normally.

And I believe that its now illegal to get a PS2 chipped over here.So I cant find anyone who will do it for me.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You would go to someone and he would do it for you. But you would probably have to send it off since you live in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I do know someone who knows someone etc etc and this may not be a major problem.

Two questions though. First of all has anybody had any bad experiences after having the console chipped and secondly what exactly are the "swap discs" that are referred to.

Thanks again.

There are a few games that don't work with swap disks. Haven't had any trouble with my chipped PS2 except for the laser breaking but that was to do with the dodginess and cheapness of the version 5 laser.

Chipping PS2's isn't illegal over here as far as i know. Some stupid judge ruled against them in England and there will be legislation against them over there soon if not already.

I only know people who chip PS2's in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

muffler wrote:
    Two questions though. First of all has anybody had any bad experiences after having the console chipped and secondly what exactly are the "swap discs" that are referred to.

Thanks again.

i just got a slide card kit the other day. bought it from here http://techwizad.com/ and the service was excellent. got it specifically for San Andreas when it comes out so i've nothing to test it on yet. The card takes a little fidding to get the hang of but seems to be working fine so far.

• Advertisement

I haven't had any trouble with modchip I've got. A swap disk will allow you to play back up copies and games from different regions just like a mod chip. Its a disc that you load up first, take out and then insert the NTSC game. The main difference is that swap disks have trouble with a small number of games and constantly changing disks is a pain for some one as lazy as me.

Don't use too many Copies on your PS2 with a modchip or swapdisk. They can wear out your laser on older models especially version 5s very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

wasn't aware of that. how does a laser get "worn out" exactly? yours did recently IIRC. might just leave San Andreas on permanently so :)

The laser has to use more power to read copies. The motor sometimes wears out, usually if the lense is dirty the laser reaching the disc won't be strong enough to read the disc. Usually if the lense is dirty it can be cleaned (don't try it yourself or you will probably scratch it to bits). Mine was both dirty and scratched and therefore useless. My PS2 was also a version 5. The laser in it is really cheap and so bad that nobody will stock them. To get a new laser the motherboard would have to be modified to take a decent laser. The price to do all this came to the price of a new PS2. So I just got a new one. There are some decent FAQs on the subject on gamefaqs.com.

You should have no trouble if when you PS2 starts giving trouble with CDs you take it to some one to clean the lens. I waited until it was beyond repair (well it was really until I finished Chrono Trigger :D )

http://www.chipspain.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_58&products_id=105

This is the one I got.€25.00 including shipping(next day) or €21.50 or thereabouts for 3-5 day shipping.
    Also there are plenty of post regarding the laser "wearing out" with copies.The general concensus is that the laser does not wear out but becomes mis-aligned which can be realigned fairly easily by yourself.If it happens with mine Ill try and re-align it myself.
    Richie

Advertisement