Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The place is gone to the dogs

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cork_girl wrote:
    problem is.. there needs to be a bit more of da force on the streets.. that's all.
    True, but that's a political solution. We still have the societal problem of wah procreation.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

dahamsta wrote:
    wah procreation.

adam

that.. my friend .. has no solution!! well.. no legal one anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Cork_girl wrote:
    oh and Whitey.. were u workin on Liberty St.?? :confused::)

Yea I was working in the club, small world eh :rolleyes:

me too and we both know there's only one club... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I was out last night and walking up by the capitol side of the road to go to the atm on patrick street when (you know theres a lot of railings there) i saw outside mcdonalds a mass brawl of 10 -15 guys just hammering the living **** outta each other. They started shifting the fence they were laying into each other so much. A crowd even formed to look! A paddywaggon came after awhile but the fight didn't stop and i didn't wait around.

Not my only experience with mcdonalds. A couple of years ago alot of north siders (bout 30 of them all underage like myself at the time) were about looking for a fight. Was going to get a taxi so crossed away from em... on the way two guys were punching each other outside th capitol, but that's not the worst. Back to the gang anyway. They came to mcdonalds and were quite hungry, but the bouncer wouldn't leve em in. So they had two/three foot x2 long sticks and continued to beat the living **** out of him with them.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote:
    this thread is interesting - it's almost like it was my fault some guy assaulted me.
    I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting that. What I've been saying is that this apparent assertion that Cork is descending into anarchy at an incremental rate (or "the place is gone to the dogs" as you put it yourself) is ridiculous. If you were more interested in discussing your own assault, which I think everyone will agree is unfortunate no matter what the circumstances, perhaps you should have titled the thread more appropriately?

What's happening is simple par for the course for a growing city. Societal standards decline in some sections of the community, mostly due to educational problems, which in my personal view comes down to parental irresponsibility 95% of the time. However this isn't particularly unusual in society, and wouldn't be so much of an issue if, as Cork_girl suggests, policing was handled properly. Critically community policing.

So although the problem rests (again in my view) with parents for the most part, that's an endemic issue caused by inequities in society itself, which aren't going to be corrected in the short term (although it should certainly be addressed in the medium to long term). A short term fix is to quite simply put more plod on the street, particularly in trouble areas (abrakebarbara, etc) and communities.

If you're following the natural progression of what I'm saying, you should be seeing where the blame lies, and what the answer is. The blame lies solely with the current goverment because: a) they haven't put more plod on the street; and b) they haven't tried to address the societal issues that cause the problems in the first place. In fact they /lied/, utterly and undeniably about policing; and their whole philosophy precludes them correcting the societal issues.

I won't insult your intelligence with suggestions as to what the answer is.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I don't disagree with you at all there Dahamsta. I admit I was trolling a bit with the thread title. I've been walking home late through the city for nearly 10 years and this is the only time I've ever had any hassle.
    I was surprised that it happened the way it did though - so early and not alcohol related. I think the guy who hit me was just bored and did it for the laugh - to get a chase.
    I reported it to the gardai, secure in the knowledge that it wouldn't do any good (in terms of catching him), just so it'd go on the stats and no politician can claim they've worked miracles in making Cork safe.
    Then it turns out the CCTV isn't working - apparently it's due to the digging up of Patrick st.

CCTV isn't a subject you want to get me started on.

I'm familiar with the "pick a fight because I'm bored" parade though. The Crinions (sp?) are one crowd that are famous for it. They send the kiddywinkies - and I mean kiddywinkies - ahead to roar abuse at a few lads, and when the lads turn around to give them an earful, out pop the bully-boy drug dealer scum with nothing better to do with their time. This literally happened to me one evening on the way back from a Lark by the Lee or somesuch, but luckily I had a clued-in mate with me who spotted what was going on. The mate is over six foot and built like a brick crapper, it was bizarre to see him worried by three or four ten years olds, until he explained why. But this just serves to prove my point -- how long is it since we had a Lark by the Lee?

Skud's example is another. I remember myself and that same mate used to sit on the steps of the Chateaux bar on Patrick's Street, eating our chips and watching the scumbags thump seven kinds of sh1t out of each other outside Burgerland. Occasionally the Guards would come along and tow a few of them off to the Bridewell (for a further thumping by all accounts) but for the most part they left them alone, because they didn't have the bodies to handle it. The wahs literally closed Burgerland down with their behaviour. Think about it, how long ago was that?

Here's another one: I'm afraid I was a bit of a cruiser when I was younger, like to toddle around the town and watch what was going on. On Fridays on Saturdays we all used to park up on the Parade at chucking out time in Shandras (aka Club Oasis, aka the Grand Parade Hotel) to watch the wahs perform. On one evening in particular, I saw the Gardaí arrive in a paddy wagon and watched dumbfounded while several of the wahs kept them occupied, so another batch could overturn the paddy wagon. Shandras?! How long ago was that?!

So nothing's changed I'm afraid. The wahs are the same, the cops are the same, and their keepers are the same. Only way to change it in my view is to change the keepers. Even that isn't enough, you have to hammer at the new keepers to make them keep their promises too. They're all liars, they just don't understand it's wrong because it's part of the job.

adam

Jeebus, reading over that you'd think I was seventy if I was a day.
    "I remember when all this was fields!"
    adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

heh. I was about to say that. I was with you up 'till Shandras.
    I guess I'm the wrong side of 30 to know that place :)

• Advertisement

I'm only 32! And I have the mind of a child. :)

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I'm afraid I was a bit of a cruiser when I was younger, like to toddle around the town and watch what was going on.

LOL i couldnt picture you being one of the boys bopping to the beats! :p

I'm not ashamed jank, I was a trend-setter, not a fashion victim. :)

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    I'm not ashamed jank, I was a trend-setter, not a fashion victim. :)

adam

dunno whether that's a good thing or not ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

If Cork is as dangerous as it's made out to be I must be some lucky soab, I've frequently wandered around outside alone on my mobile at 2/3am on thursday/friday nights around by the peacepark, gpo and barracks street, totally pissed off my brain in fairness and very nice clothes and phone. I got removed from Club One about a month ago for being off my head, I don't remember it, just 2 images of being outside on my own and having no money to pay the taxi when it dropped me out to Ballincollig. Haven't a notion how i managed it. Never had any trouble ever in the city. /me touches wood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Cool haircut Travis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TattyTeddy

dudara wrote:
    Oh, there are plenty fights in Cork. All you have to do is stand outside John Graces, Hillbillies or Abrekebra and you can enjoy a ringside view.

Yeah, Cork really is gone to the ****s. I was out in Cubins bout a month ago and I was in the smoking area outside. It was literally like a boxing match as there was one of them rails n all to seperate smoking area etc ,,,,, anyways, this guy just started screaming at a gaurd and his girlfriend started holding him back... everyone in the smoking area was egging yer man on (think his name was Tony) then some dude started beating up a girl who looked about 12. It was like jerry springer and I think part of your average nite out in cork is based upon viewing a good fight after the club! Sit in Mc Donalds on winthrop street and I GAURANTEE you a fight outside( try and get the window seat) I'm female and have never been beaten up and im out nearly every week. I'm very nervous nowadays tho

TattyTeddy wrote:
    I'm very nervous nowadays tho
    You need a big strong man to keep you company honey. *koff*

Sorry. Somebody had to do it.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TattyTeddy

dahamsta wrote:
    You need a big strong man to keep you company honey. *koff*

Sorry. Somebody had to do it.

adam

HMMMMMMMMMMM............. big strong man or big metal gun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

in one college year (8 months up to may 2004) i had my bike stolen (it was locked), a mobile phone nicked from the mardyke snooker hall and was mugged near upper john st, just north side of the lee (€50 & brand new nokia taken not to mention the knife to my neck). i'm hoping these things come in threes so that i'll be safe for some time to come.

my flatmate also got mugged two weeks back on the steps that go up from the quay coop (up past the church they are renovating).

maybe i'm spreading the bad luck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

2 jargha
    Bad luck!!!!!!!!! Severly sounds like wrong place wrong time.

2 Tattteddy
    Sounds like the little teddy has some large claws now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Nothing wrong with Cork, not dodgy at all boy. All the scaremongering does nobody any good. What sort of people go up John street late at night ? Who go to North Main st anyway ? Stay in the main streets and avoid the lanes and alleyways like any other city !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 JW123

Ya, i'd stay away form dark alleys, small streets at night, just common sense.
    I know 4 people however who have been assaulted on barrack street by scumbags for no reason except they were on their own and the scumbags outnumbered them, nothing else. I wouldn't be to keen to walk around on my own at night, only if I'm with friends, otherwise try and get a taxi.

Still though, I don't think Cork is any worse than any other big town or city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

DannyD wrote:
    Nothing wrong with Cork, not dodgy at all boy. All the scaremongering does nobody any good. What sort of people go up John street late at night ?

Well if you live on Upper John St (I did at the time) it's kind of necessary to walk it at night.

I agree it's common sense to keep to the well lit streets but saying there's nothing wrong with Cork is pure denial.

jAH

jArgHA wrote:
    Well if you live on Upper John St (I did at the time) it's kind of necessary to walk it at night.

I agree it's common sense to keep to the well lit streets but saying there's nothing wrong with Cork is pure denial.

jAH

nothing wrong with Cork that isn't in most big towns and cities.. think that is what the general feeling is here :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

JW123 wrote:
    barrack street by scumbags for no reason except they were on their own and the scumbags outnumbered them

Only vikings are safe up in Barrack St, that is so scummy during the night.Actually it pretty sucks during the day also :( Shandon is another super dodgy street.

Advertisement