Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another leak....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

whores.

...perhaps I should get my 'box modded...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

& I thought I was the bees knees being able to get it the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

"Without illegally modifying your Xbox console there would be no way to make this leaked code play due to the consoles in-built security."

....modding your X-Box isn't strictly illeagal, is it? I would have asumed you can do what you want with the hardware you buy. Void your waranty maybe, but that's your porogitive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Is1ldur wrote:
    Halo 2 leaked....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3743110.stm

This is becoming a bit of a regular occurrence.....

Nearly every single game gets leaked at least 2 weeks before their release for as long as I can remember. As soon as the games go gold and start mass production they are vunrable to being nabbed and copied. Only diference is they seem to make the news these days.

Some of the bigger/better games pirates/rippers have gotten out of the game due to the law punishing them more severly then if they were distributing drugs. Tis a great world we live in....

TBH i cound't give a shít if about downloading stuff but it really annoys me when I see people selling pirate copies. Its one thing to download something but trying to profit from it you deserve what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

Goodshape wrote:
    "Without illegally modifying your Xbox console there would be no way to make this leaked code play due to the consoles in-built security."

....modding your X-Box isn't strictly illeagal, is it? I would have asumed you can do what you want with the hardware you buy. Void your waranty maybe, but that's your porogitive.

It's the code that sits on your mod chip which is still illegal, that, you haven't bought, at least not from anyone with the right to sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Kaimera wrote:
    whores.

...perhaps I should get my 'box modded...

perhaps you should start a thread on personal issues??
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I thought it was only the french version that was leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Can't believe people are playing this right now...

Damn pirates...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Praetorian wrote:
    I'll have the english version later today myself. I won't be selling it or distributing it; it's just one of the perks of the job ;) Please don't ask me for it.

what job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

40coats wrote:
    It's the code that sits on your mod chip which is still illegal, that, you haven't bought, at least not from anyone with the right to sell it.
    IANAL but I wouldn't think so. I don't think we have a DMCA like law here which makes it illegal (in the USA) to know how to get around copyright control systems for any purpose. Which the code on how the XBox works is most likely copyrighted, if you sit in a cave with a laptop and an XBOX trying things out then it's not copyright. In short, it's your machine, you own the machine, and there is no reason why you can't do what you want with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

As the gaming world comes to terms with Halo 2's dramatic leak nearly a month ahead of release, developer Bungie has quietly responded by way of an updated warning on its community forum, which promises to ban gamers who posted leaked information or spoilers, and even ban certain Xbox Live gamertags from the game's online component.

Responding to news of the leaked version - which has been circulating in various illegal channels since yesterday - the developer said, "It would seem that the French PAL version of the game has surfaced on the Internet." As for its origins: "This is almost positively the work of some jerk in the manufacturing plant who pocketed the game as it is being printed in mass for world release on the 9th of November," the update concluded.

And the developer plans to come down hard on anybody who tries to spoil the experience for others - or even references leaked material. "A link or offer to give out a link via private media on the forums will get you banned permanently," the update emphasised. "The same goes for any kind of leak-related spoiler information. Further, you risk having you Xbox Live account's ability to play Halo 2 crippled as we can and will ban gamertags from access to vital parts of Halo 2's online experience. We are NOT kidding around here. There will be no warning, no appeal, you'll just be gone."

Whether this is a reference to the way that modified Xbox consoles can be identified - and blocked - as they log on to Xbox Live, or a promise to ban users based on their behaviour on the forums alone, is unclear, but it's plain nonetheless that Bungie is taking the leak very seriously and plans to do its utmost to safeguard the surprises it has in store.

As for the fate of those behind the leak: "There's no doubt in my mind that Microsoft has people tracking down whoever was responsible for this," the update opines. "I hope whoever it was thought that leaking the game was worth his job, I hear the Microsoft legal team employ some very effective ninja."

Microsoft yesterday slammed the "thieves" behind the piracy and vowed to track them down and pursue them to the fullest extent of the law. The publisher also said that plans for the game's release on November 9th in the US, and on the 10th and 11th across the rest of the world, will be unaffected by the controversy.

Meanwhile, in slightly more positive news, music label Sumthing Else has confirmed the track listing for the Halo 2 soundtrack CD, which is due out alongside the game. You're unlikely to regard the track names as spoilers, but we guess it's a possibility, so you might want to avoid this link if you're particularly concerned.

kdjac

way to copy and paste, Kdjac :rolleyes:

tman wrote:
    way to copy and paste, Kdjac :rolleyes:

No i wrote it all meself
    :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

:(
    i dont like the look of this.
    this could make the game less popular!
    and im generally up for piracy,on smaller games.
    BUT this is halo 2!!!!!!
    been waiting for this for to long to spoil it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

"im generally up for piracy,on smaller games."

that's a joke right ? I used to work for a "small" developer. Remind me to ask them to drop by your house and help themselves to your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

and im generally up for piracy,on smaller games

surely you mean "..on big games" where its not going to break the back of the developer. thanks to people like you we have no more Black Isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

why is this news? This happens *all* the time. Every game/music/movie is leaked and a good few of them before official release. and reporting on it just raises the profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

chrismon wrote:
    im generally up for piracy,on smaller games.
    BUT this is halo 2!!!!!!
    been waiting for this for to long to spoil it
    oh yeah, smaller games. get the small game makers out of the way, good plan - do you work for EA?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

dangerman wrote:
    why is this news? This happens *all* the time. Every game/music/movie is leaked and a good few of them before official release. and reporting on it just raises the profile.
    Its news because its a month before the release and its a high profile game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its news because its a month before the release and its a high profile game.

So why isn't every other game news then? Doom 3, Sim City 4 or Sims 2 for example?

I understood why HL2 made news due to the source being stolen and a beta getting out but this is only on the BBC site and all the rest of them because M$ publish it and they pushed it in to main stream news.

Rew wrote:
    So why isn't every other game news then? Doom 3, Sim City 4 or Sims 2 for example?
    because activision and EA didn't have the cunning idea of using this common occurance as free publicity

I read about doom 3 being leaked on BBC website.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

the doom 3 leak was pretty big. something like 75,000 people downloading it after 10hours of the leak.

I'd say that console games are alot harder to pirate than PC games.
    Its still pretty ****ty alright. Question i wanna know is would people stop pirating games if they were cheaper?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Console games are copied the same way as PC games except theres no need for no-cd cracks. Its just as easy unfortunately.
    Question i wanna know is would people stop pirating games if they were cheaper?

Gone are the days when a new game cost the pocket money price of £10 new and £4 on budget 6 months later. I think that if games companies lowered the prices they would definitely get more sales. However developement costs have gone up a lot, its no longer a bedroom programmer making the game. Nowadays its a team that is about the size of a film production crew.

Advertisement